Kubica hopes to leave hospital “within ten days”

2011 F1 season

Robert Kubica, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Robert Kubica, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Robert Kubica says he hopes to be out of hospital within the next ten days.

The Polish driver has been in hospital for over two months following his rally crash at the start of February.

Kubica told Renault’s website: “I am starting to feel a lot better now. My recovery is moving in the right direction: my strength and weight are increasing day on day and as a result I will leave the Santa Corona hospital very soon.

“The mobility of my hand is limited but this is pretty normal in this kind of situation, because the connected arm muscles are still very weak due to the long period of immobility. Things are definitely improving day by day.

“As soon as I leave hospital, I?ll head to my home in Monaco for a short period of rest. Then I?ll move to Dr. [Riccardo] Ceccarelli??s facilities in Italy where I will start a deep rehabilitation program and a preliminary soft training programme.

“The two programmes will gradually cross over based on the speed of my recovery.”

Kubica thanked his supporters who he said had helped his recovery: “I must admit that it?s been overwhelming and, yes, it?s helped me a lot.

“I really didn?t realise that quite this many fans were supporting me. I?m very flattered and I promise them that, when I?m back, I?ll give them my absolute best.”

Robert Kubica rally crash

Image ?? Renault/LAT

39 comments on Kubica hopes to leave hospital “within ten days”

1. Good news, however I hope Kubica’s eagerness to come back doesn’t lead to him coming back to soon. I would hate to see him come back to see that he’s miles of the pace.

• Damon (@damon) said on 21st April 2011, 18:14

Wrong. If he gets his F1 license back, it means he is fit to get back. If he is fit to get back, then waiting and not driving will not get him anywhere. You don’t get to be a fast driver by sitting at home. He should then come back as soon as possible.
      If he would be miles off the pace, then he should be driving to improve, not sitting at home.

2. butterdori (@butterdori) said on 21st April 2011, 17:48

It’s great that we finally get to hear from him directly!!

Wish to see him on track soon!

3. sugafree said on 21st April 2011, 18:09

best news of this year. come back soon Robert . fingers crossed!

4. Kirk said on 21st April 2011, 18:21

Marvellous, can’t wait to see Rob back in the car and I suspect it will sooner than many expect, I gotta this funny feeling like he is going to go on to win a WDC. In any case, his story would make for a great film one day!

5. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 21st April 2011, 19:43

Lauda, Hakkinen, Kubica?

Well, first things first: full recovery. After this we’ll see what happens.

6. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 21st April 2011, 20:28

Thanks for the Kubica update Keith. Glad to hear he’s doing well.

7. Hitman Contract (@hitman-contract) said on 21st April 2011, 23:29

I’d really like to see Robert racing again in the last races this year… and winning a few WDCs beginning next year.

Preferably at Ferrari btw

8. Pink Pirelli said on 22nd April 2011, 1:14

Good news for Kubica. I didn’t realise he was still in hospital, so it does bring it home as to exactly how nasty the crash was.

9. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 22nd April 2011, 2:21

Made my day. We all love you & wishes you a very fast recovery.

10. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 22nd April 2011, 10:03

Great to hear of his progress, and his confidence that he can make the recovery work; hope to see him back in a car soon. Heidfeld I’m sure will understand!

11. Bigbadderboom said on 22nd April 2011, 16:20

I think he should write this season off. Allow Heidfeld to complete his season, this would give Renault the information they need to make an informed choice. Nick has done a great job for them so far, it may be he finishes on double the points as Petrov. Robert should forget about this year, get fit, get well and get a good pre seasons fitness level before challenging next year. He could end up doing more damage by rushing back.

12. AdrianMorse said on 23rd April 2011, 12:05

Kubica. You either love him, or you fear him. I know this isn’t exact fair to Petrov and Heidfeld, but I think this year’s Renault is good enough for Robert to have regularly mixed it at the front. Let’s hope he can still return for the final few races of the year to show what he can do with it.

13. Kuba said on 23rd April 2011, 23:45

Robert left the hospital today ;-)

14. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 24th April 2011, 19:26

Apparently left hospital today!!! I wish him all the best with his recovery :-) http://tinyurl.com/3tpkq3w