2011 F1 season
Caterham managing director Anser Ali says his company’s deal with Lotus is a “dream come true”.
Speaking to F1 Fanatic during the announcement of the deal yesterday Ali said: “It’s unbelievably special, to the point where I keep using the word ‘surreal’.
“It’s a dream come true for me, as someone who’s got a huge responsibility for over a hundred people at Caterham, and millions of enthusiasts and customers who follow everything that we do. I’d like to think – and I’m fairly certain – they are fully supportive of what we’re doing.
“It’s a natural progression, it’s an obvious one in my mind. But what was important for me is having met Tony and, now, having spent a lot of time with him, his passion is not too dissimilar to mine. He understands what the brand is about, he understands the philosophy and, more importantly, he wants to build on that and not compromise it in any way.”
Asked how long getting into F1 had been a goal of his he said: “I have to confess it hadn’t been!
“That’s why this is quite a dream. To say it’s an added bonus, again, would be an understatement.
“I was looking more at the man of Tony Fernandes, as a passionate enthusiast of any business that he gets behind, rather than Formula 1. That might come across as somewhat short-sighted, but the fact that Formula 1 comes in tow is quite surreal.”
He added they plan to incorporate the Caterham branding on the Lotus F1 cars: “I think going forward that is certainly on the cards.
“Clearly there are some sensitivities around that but there’s no doubt being able to leverage the Caterham brand off the Formula 1 platform, and the global audience it has, is something I’m very much looking forward to.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use this image please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others