2011 F1 season
Toro Rosso have taken the unusual step of planning a significant upgrade for the STR6 for the Monaco Grand Prix weekend.
Teams ordinarily avoid introducing major changes at Monaco because the street circuit is so unusual, and the potential for bodywork damage is high.
Chief engineer Laurent Mekies told the team’s website: “We have planned major steps for car development during the year that have been established since before the start of the season.
“At some point pre-season, you have to sign off the car to go into production to be built and maybe you have a good idea for a component the next day, so these are the building blocks for your next development update.
“This has indeed been the case with us and we will see a significant step introduced in Monaco and another one later in the season. These two steps are planned and will hopefully provide good performance improvements.”
Mekies expects the team to be in a season-long battle with three teams: “At the first race, we found we had a reasonable race pace and our direct competition came, as expected from Williams, Force India and Sauber and we found ourselves fighting these guys throughout the opening three races of the championship.
“Our STR6 appeared to have the potential to fight them, which was good news.
“We are going to have an interesting fight with these three or four teams all season long ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ if you like, this is our championship battle within the championship.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images