Debates and polls
The Bahrain Motor Federation has until tomorrow to tell the FIA whether the Bahrain Grand Prix can take place this year.
The race was supposed to open the season on March 13th but was postponed after anti-government protests were violently suppressed.
There has already been much debate here over whether the race should go ahead. Cast your vote here and we’ll find out what the majority of F1 Fanatic readers think.
Bernie Ecclestone has pressed the case for holding a race in Bahrain as soon as possible:
“Formula One must never be political ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ full stop. My job is it to do the best deals possible for Formula One ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ to secure jobs. Five thousand people have jobs which are directly or indirectly connected to Formula One, and I want to secure these jobs.
“It is not my business to make politics. We have politicians for that.”
Ecclestone has said the organisers could be given more time to decide if the race should go ahead:
The Bahraini government has poured money into the Bahrain International Circuit. Holding a race there now would be a political act, giving a clear sign of support to the country’s ruling family.
In the weeks since the cancellation of the race details of human rights violations have emerged. The British Foreign Office advises against travelling to the country on safety grounds.
More details on the situation in Bahrain at present can be found here:
Before the race was postponed I argued that it should be cancelled, and my view remains the same:
Should the Bahrain Grand Prix be held this year? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.
Should the Bahrain Grand Prix be held in 2011?
- Yes (23%)
- No (75%)
- No opinion (2%)
Total Voters: 404
Debates and polls
- The 2015 F1 season in 20 questions
- Who would you replace this year’s drivers with?
- Is the FIA superlicence points system a step forward?
- Should Honda be barred from updating their engine?
- Vote for your 2014 F1 Driver of the Year
- Top ten passes of 2014: Vote for the best
- Vote for your Abu Dhabi GP Driver of the Weekend
- Rate the race: 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Button, Alonso, Magnussen: Who should McLaren run?
- Vote for your 2014 Brazilian GP Driver of the Weekend
Image ?ι?® Red Bull/Getty images