2011 F1 season
Williams have announced technical director Sam Michael and chief aerodynamicist Jon Tomlinson have resigned.
The pair will leave at the end of the year following the team’s poor start to the season. Williams are yet to score a point after three races.
The team issued the following statement
“Williams F1 today announced that technical director, Sam Michael, and chief aerodynamicist, Jon Tomlinson, have resigned from their positions within the company, to take effect at the end of 2011.
Frank Williams, Team Principal, said: ‘Both Sam and Jon are talented and driven people who have worked hard for Williams over 10 and five years respectively.
‘Nonetheless, they have recognised that the team?óÔé¼Ôäós performance is not at the level that it needs to be and have resigned in order to give the team the opportunity to regroup and undertake the changes necessary to get back to the front of the grid.
‘Both will continue to work in their present positions through until the end of the year to ensure that the team maintains focus and momentum during the 2011 season. We are very grateful to Sam and to Jon for their professional approach.'”
Williams have also announced that Mike Coughlan will join them next month: Mike Coughlan returns to F1 with Williams
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Williams/LAT