Fernando Alonso said he might have been able to challenge Sebastian Vettel for victory had he not got stuck behind Nico Rosberg at the start of the race.
Alonso said: “We lost a little bit of time behind Rosberg at the beginning of the race. So we [didn’t] thought any more the possibility to fight with Sebastian for P1, we concentrate on P2.
“I had a little bit of advantage, in terms of tyre degradation, in that part of the race compared to Mark. As Mark said we used the DRS and I was able to overtake him.
“And then in the last part of the race it was more or less the opposite. We had maybe a little bit of a disadvantage with tyre age, we lost the position again.”
However he said he was pleased with his car’s pace after taking Ferrari’s first podium finish of the year:
“I think we did a good weekend overall. The car performed a bit better than what we did in the first three race of the championship.
“So finally we enjoy racing again and we enjoy a race fighting for the podium positions, changing second and third positions through the race.”
2011 Turkish Grand Prix
- 2011 Turkish Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?
- Red Bull: Vettel leads a one-sided one-two
- Ferrari: Alonso stops the rot with podium run
- McLaren: Hamilton salvages fourth after battling with Button
- Mercedes: A weekend to forget for Schumacher
- Renault: Heidfeld unhappy with Petrov after contact
- Sauber: Point for Kobayashi after starting on last row
- Force India: Di Resta posts first retirement
- Williams: Barrichello falls to 15th with KERS fault
Image ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo