Fernando Alonso, Nico Rosberg, Istanbul, 2011

Ferrari: Alonso stops the rot with podium run

2011 Turkish GP team reviewPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Alonso gave Ferrari their first podium finish since Interlagos last year.

Fernando Alonso Felipe Massa
Qualifying position 5 10
Qualifying time comparison (Q2) 1’26.152 (-0.243) 1’26.395
Race position 3 11
Laps 58/58 58/58
Pit stops 4 4

Ferrari drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/charts/2011drivercolours.csv
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
Fernando Alonso 97.58 95.062 94.667 94.161 94.313 95.507 94.554 94.021 94.17 94.061 109.322 93.292 93.441 93.281 93.177 93.226 93.023 92.922 93.534 93.515 93.48 93.529 93.642 108.811 92.05 91.999 91.729 91.898 91.964 92.07 91.934 92.233 92.23 92.478 92.494 92.725 107.356 90.953 91.048 90.434 91.319 91.072 91.182 91.436 91.243 91.166 106.529 90.279 90.399 90.296 91.654 91.865 90.667 90.807 91.017 91.304 91.615 91.897
Felipe Massa 100.887 95.441 94.398 94.599 94.539 94.508 95.118 95.094 95.003 111.479 93.498 93.683 94.244 93.521 94.172 94.173 94.15 94.52 94.976 96.509 95.264 94.438 96.419 108.983 93.347 93.123 92.882 93.642 93.517 93.506 93.364 93.669 94.19 94.298 113.85 91.897 92.047 92.524 92.897 92.499 92.38 92.31 92.322 92.517 92.453 92.598 113.325 91.133 91.253 91.208 91.921 93.985 92.404 91.52 91.38 91.178 91.118 91.508
Fernando Alonso, Nico Rosberg, Istanbul, 2011
Fernando Alonso, Nico Rosberg, Istanbul, 2011

Fernando Alonso

Poor qualifying and poor starts have held Alonso back so far this year. And while the former was not fixed in Istanbul – he started fifth for the fourth consecutive race – his start was much better.

Alonso picked up a place as Hamilton ran wide on the first lap. He took third off Nico Rosberg easily in the DRS zone on lap seven.

It was no surprise to see the Ferrari exhibit good race pace – it has done so all year. But Alonso finally had the chance to use it and briefly took second place from Mark Webber, passing the Red Bull at the end of his second stint.

It didn’t last – in the final stint Webber reversed the move, but Alonso nonetheless held on to give Ferrari their first podium finish since Interlagos last year.

It was a welcome result for the team after a difficult start to the weekend when Alonso experienced hydraulic problems in FP2, spinning and later stopping at the pit lane entrance.

Alonso said: “Given the shape we were in at the start of this season, this is a great finish. The next three or four races will be crucial.

“At 99% I could not have fought with Vettel, but the remaining 1% went when I was stuck behind Rosberg for too long: maybe I could have put him in difficulty, forcing him to push even more.

“In the end, Webber passed me because he had the benefit of a new set of tyres, while I had none left.”

Fernando Alonso 2011 form guide

Felipe Massa

Massa only made one attempt to set a time in Q3 and he abandoned it, leaving him tenth on the grid.

His race got off to a good start. He passed Nick Heidfeld at the end of the first lap and inherited two more places when Vitaly Petrov and Michael Schumacher collided.

He caught the McLarens and passed Lewis Hamilton, only to lose the place with a slow pit stop.

He lost further ground after his third pit stop when he got onto the marbles at turn eight and ran wide, falling behind Schumacher, Adrian Sutil and Kamui Kobayashi, though he quickly re-passed the Sauber.

He passed Sutil on the next lap and Schumacher three laps later. But a slow final pit stop dropped him back behind the Mercedes.

Massa got ahead of Schumacher for good with five laps to go but finished out of the points in 11th.

Felipe Massa 2011 form guide

2011 Turkish Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Turkish Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo