2011 Turkish GP team review
Kamui Kobayashi promised Peter Sauber he’d score a point from the last row of the grid in Istanbul – and he did.
|Kamui Kobayashi||Sergio Perez|
|Qualifying time comparison (None)||No time|
Sauber drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
A fuel pump problem kept Kobayashi from setting a time in qualifying. The stewards gave him a dispensation to race under the ‘107% rule’.
As Mark Webber did in similar circumstances in China, Kobayashi got his hard tyre stint out of the way to begin with, then used his fresh soft tyres to make rapid progress through the field.
He finished the race tenth but was being caught rapidly by Felipe Massa when the chequered flag came out.
Kobayashi felt he could have scored more points had he not picked up a puncture: “It was a lot of fun today, I really enjoyed this race. I found overtaking here a lot easier than last year in Hungary.
“Before the race I had promised Peter (Sauber) to score points today.
“It is just one point now because we lost so much time due to a puncture, which was the result of touching Sebastien Buemi when I overtook him. Otherwise I think I could have finished seventh and score more points.”
Contact with a Williams on the first lap spoiled Perez’s start to the race:
“Pastor Maldonado was braking quite hard in front of me and I couldn?óÔé¼Ôäót avoid hitting him. I broke my front wing and had to pit.”
From that point he was left playing catch-up. He ended the race swapping places with Adrian Sutil, finishing 14th behind the Force India.
2011 Turkish Grand Prix
- 2011 Turkish Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?
- Red Bull: Vettel leads a one-sided one-two
- Ferrari: Alonso stops the rot with podium run
- McLaren: Hamilton salvages fourth after battling with Button
- Mercedes: A weekend to forget for Schumacher
- Renault: Heidfeld unhappy with Petrov after contact
- Sauber: Point for Kobayashi after starting on last row
- Force India: Di Resta posts first retirement
- Williams: Barrichello falls to 15th with KERS fault
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others