Who was the best driver of the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?

2011 Turkish Grand Prix

Start, Istanbul, 2011

Start, Istanbul, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Turkish Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Turkish Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – The smash in practice didn’t come close to putting him off his stride. Another emphatic pole position and win.

Fernando Alonso – Finally able to capitalise on the strong race pace of the Ferrari.

Nico Rosberg – Powerless to defend in the opening laps, he fought back later on. Qualifying and finished far ahead of his team mate.

Sebastien Buemi – Not the first time he’s clearly out-performed Jaime Alguersuari this year.

Kamui Kobayashi – An impressive trek through the field from the back row of the grid. Could well have been higher than tenth without his puncture.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

[poll id="257"]

Chinese Grand Prix result

Mark Webber was voted the best driver of the Chinese Grand Prix weekend:

1. Mark Webber – 47.8%
2. Lewis Hamilton – 42.4%
3. Felipe Massa – 2.5%

Rate the Race: Turkish Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

2011 Turkish Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Turkish Grand Prix articles

160 comments on Who was the best driver of the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?

1. David-A (@david-a) said on 9th May 2011, 18:56

Not the first time he’s clearly out-performed Jaime Alguersuari this year.

Who still thinks Alguer should stay and Buemi should go?

• sunnymir (@sunnymir) said on 9th May 2011, 18:58

ME

• David-A (@david-a) said on 9th May 2011, 19:03

Is that because you want Buemi to be promoted, or because STR should hold onto their lesser performing driver?

• Can I be smug and say I never thought that :P just kidding. I think it’s close between the two but Buemi has shown he should be the one to hang onto the STR drive.

• sunnymir said on 10th May 2011, 14:40

I still am not sure who should stay,becoz both of them have their OFF day’s.BUT this is for sure that Daniel will be in STR next season.

2. Alonso and Vettel had strangely similar weekends by being marred with set backs in practice but then getting the maximum when it mattered. I voted Alonso though because his troubles were due to unreliability whereas Vettel really messed up unnecessairly in free practice.

3. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 9th May 2011, 19:18

Just going against the grain I voted Rubens, because while he may not have ended up with a desirable result, every time the world feed went to him on track, I felt like he was driving a much more dominant race than hes done all season thus far.

And this season is starting to feel just a bit like 1992, no? Just a bit. 3 out of 4 races so far for Vettel, and second in the only one he didnt lose. Statistics would have Vettel as champion, as I dont think any other driver has done such a feat without winning the WDC.

4. ledzep4pm (@ledzep4pm) said on 9th May 2011, 19:51

How can you say vettel was the best driver of the weekend. He totalled it during a silly run in the wet and missed all the Friday dry running. Yes he may have driven great on Sunday (in a strong car, but he wasn’t the best driver of the whole weekend (which is the point of the poll)

• David-A (@david-a) said on 9th May 2011, 20:03

I pray to God you didn’t vote for the guy who qualified 18th three weeks ago.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 10th May 2011, 13:12

That was part of the reason I voted for Vettel. Every driver makes a mistake once in a while. How often does Vettel wall it?

To bounce back and be so dominant shows talent.

5. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 9th May 2011, 21:06

Sebastian Vettel. Ok, he made that silly mistake on Friday, but he dominated both Saturday and Sunday. The thing that struck me most was his race. He managed to save his tyres better than anyone else, even if he didn’t drive on Friday.

6. Gusto said on 9th May 2011, 21:08

I still cant believe people haven`t sussed Vettel`s pace.

7. BBT (@bbt) said on 9th May 2011, 21:32

Alonso, easy one this race

8. Hallard said on 9th May 2011, 22:41

Best driver of the weekend overall has to be…*gulp*…Alonso

His performance was outstanding in the race. He was opportunistic in the first few laps, and his overall pace allowed him to bring the fight to Webber. After having troubles in practice, he bounced back with impressive determination and calm. He showed the kind of mental strength that I think was lacking in his performances last year (and arguably cost him the 2010 title).

I may loathe/detest/abhor/despise Alonso, but I have to begrudgingly admit that he was the most impressive driver of the weekend. Touche, Fernando…

• Aldo said on 10th May 2011, 12:51

I couldn’t put it better. It doesn’t matter how much I despise the sportsman called Fernando Alonso, he put an extremely solid drive. I have to concede that the man was the driver of the race.

9. dlaird said on 9th May 2011, 22:45

The car is the real winner. Adrian Newey also. F1 is more about the car than the driver. The RB7 is so dominant. Vettel is great. I know this. But for people to say he is another level above hamilton and Alonso is just ridiculous. I honestly think that Alonso or Hamilton are still the best out there.

• Mads said on 10th May 2011, 7:48

Why are they more ridiculous then you? Fact is noone knows. It is their word against yours.

• tequilatim said on 10th May 2011, 8:10

Like Button in 2009. Lucky to get a good car. Almost lost the title!

• BBT (@bbt) said on 10th May 2011, 11:26

Vettel has stepped up another level this season he’s not as far behind Hamilton and Alonso as he was (but still behind).

I’ve not seen anyone suggest he is above HAM and ALO that would be a very odd statement.

With every race, despite the dominant car he’s adding creditability to those who say he is on parr with those two, so far he’s not making the silly mistakes in the races that he did occasionally in the last two years, he is developing well.

• sunnymir said on 10th May 2011, 14:48

He is not making Silly Mistake’s becoz nobody is putting pressure on him,Even his Teammate is not putting pressure on him,While the other team’s r playing catch up.But once MACCA,FERRARI or MERC catch RBR and put pressure on him then we will see ,if he crack’s under the pressure or not.

10. plushpile (@plushpile) said on 9th May 2011, 23:29

As much as it pains me Seb V has clearly been the class driver of the field, despite his FP1 crash he blew away all comers

11. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 10th May 2011, 0:20

I voted for Vettel. His bounce back in FP3 followed by his pole position was just impressive and I hope it goes a long way to people respecting his dominance instead of ruing it. A great ambassador for the sport.

However an honourable mention must go out to Kobayashi for that brilliant performance.

12. brendant (@brendant) said on 10th May 2011, 0:24

I think there’s something wrong with the way the bars are rendered: The drivers with zero votes have a longer bar than the drivers with one vote.

13. Russell Gould (@russellgould) said on 10th May 2011, 1:14

No one’s getting past Seb, it appears. However, Mark got closer than anyone else, and it was far from easy.

There’s some Aussie Grit for ya.

• Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 10th May 2011, 12:39

Makes me wonder how much closer Webber would be to Vettel if he was a foot shorter? And before some wag says he’d be a foot closer (ha ha) I do wonder how much the RB7 was designed around Vettel’s height & weight, which would explain why although Webber is keeping him honest, he just can’t get the upper hand.

14. Jake (@kraemerson88) said on 10th May 2011, 1:37

Seb is untouchable plus less practice than others.

15. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 10th May 2011, 2:35

There were many to choose from but Buemi & Kobayashi were great,I choose the later.His move on Schumacher going right on the grass was spectacular.