Who was the best driver of the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?

2011 Turkish Grand Prix

Start, Istanbul, 2011

Start, Istanbul, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Turkish Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Turkish Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – The smash in practice didn’t come close to putting him off his stride. Another emphatic pole position and win.

Fernando Alonso – Finally able to capitalise on the strong race pace of the Ferrari.

Nico Rosberg – Powerless to defend in the opening laps, he fought back later on. Qualifying and finished far ahead of his team mate.

Sebastien Buemi – Not the first time he’s clearly out-performed Jaime Alguersuari this year.

Kamui Kobayashi – An impressive trek through the field from the back row of the grid. Could well have been higher than tenth without his puncture.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (22%)
  • Mark Webber (3%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (3%)
  • Jenson Button (1%)
  • Fernando Alonso (38%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Michael Schumacher (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (3%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (26%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (2%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (1%)

Total Voters: 466

Loading ... Loading ...

Chinese Grand Prix result

Mark Webber was voted the best driver of the Chinese Grand Prix weekend:

1. Mark Webber – 47.8%
2. Lewis Hamilton – 42.4%
3. Felipe Massa – 2.5%

Rate the Race: Turkish Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

2011 Turkish Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Turkish Grand Prix articles

160 comments on Who was the best driver of the Turkish Grand Prix weekend?

1. adrianMorse said on 10th May 2011, 4:21

I wonder if Alonso would have gotten so many votes if Massa had had a decent afternoon. For Alonso fans (not me you will have surmised by now) it must have been exciting to see him finally battling the Red Bulls again, but surely the car had been much improved too.

2. Scalextric (@scalextric) said on 10th May 2011, 4:53

VET dominated. KOB did pretty much what I expected. ALO did an excellent job. But frankly all that was somewhat expected. Buemi surprised me, so I voted for him. For a change. And because I like underdogs.

3. box this lap (@sebashuis) said on 10th May 2011, 7:32

I voted for Vettel.

I liked how he made his fourth stop when he did not have to. Taking the pole in the pits was also nice to see.

4. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 10th May 2011, 9:34

I voted for Alonso when I could have voted for Kobayashi. I feel filthy.

5. Sjostrand (@sjostrand) said on 10th May 2011, 10:31

Alonso gets a lot of votes for driving a red car, not for having done the best job over the weekend. He did a good job in beating Lewis and Nico in the race.

Vettel did an amazing job in totalling the car and then with little running taking pole and dominating the race.

Kobayashi gets an incredible amount of race speed from his car and overtakes where he wants to. Spectacular drive again.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 10th May 2011, 11:30

I don’t particularly like Ferrari or Alonso and many like me voted for Alonso, the car might of been better but its still miles behind the RBRs, credit due to taking the fight to them when no one else could.

• SHM said on 10th May 2011, 14:53

Alonso also got little FRIDAY running with the car having Hydralics prob’s and whatever.

6. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 10th May 2011, 12:16

Really not sure who to go for – Vettel, as usually, dominated everyone on Saturday and Sunday, including his teammate, but he made a silly mistake to cause a lot of damage to his car on Friday.

Alonso, well, I think he had a good race, mainly by not losing positions in the first lap as he did before, but then again, that’s only partly his doing, and more Hamilton being too optimistic and giving those behind him a chance. His race pace was only different because he seemed to finally believe in it again. Maybe I’m too critical here.

Kobayashi, well, Webber won last race by doing something similar to what he did now, in a way better car. But I didn’t vote for Webber then, and I’m not sure I should vote or Koba now either; Of course, he had a car failure, so couldn’t help his qualifying at all, that speaks for him.

Rosberg, well maybe, it is a bit hard to look past the car being soo slooooow in the first part of the race, and him being a hardly defending moving object, but he did a great job with what he was given, I think.

In a way, the Renaults both did a solid job, but not a driver of the weekend like job. Could go on, I think I’ll just think about it for a bit longer.

7. Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 10th May 2011, 12:30

Alonso. It was just like the Nando of old was back amongst us. And a newly re-invigorated and fired up Alonso can only be a good thing for F1 fans.

8. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 10th May 2011, 12:49

Fernando for me. Such a relief Ferrari are back up to speed. Hopefully they can beat Sebastian!

9. JohnBt said on 10th May 2011, 13:10

FERNANDO ALONSO.

10. Sergio Perez said on 10th May 2011, 14:03

Kamui Kobqyashi. I think the broadcast was actually unfair to Kobayashi. We rarely saw him overtaking, but the truth is everytime I was looking in the standings the man was gaining places. I would love to see him in a top team. Imagine him in a Mclaren, Red Bull or Ferrari- I tell you, we would have truly exciting races! Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso Hamilton and Rosberg are the true outstanding drivers, imo, of the grid. Kamui is on that level. The rest are good drivers, but not exceptional.

11. Boomerang said on 10th May 2011, 16:15

Fernando did a great job, and I’m glad he’s got the car to challenge for the podium.
    But, to all people who take F1 seriously i suggest a therapy of watching “La gran aventura de Mortadelo y Filemón”

12. JamieFranklinF1 said on 10th May 2011, 22:41

Whilst I don’t disagree that both Kamui and Fernando did exceptional jobs to finish where they did, I still don’t understand why many people still don’t think Seb is the driver of the day/weekend.

He’s not my favourite driver, but he is doing an outstanding job. He learns from his mistakes each weekend, and then by the next race, he looks a little bit stronger.

Also, to people who say that he wouldn’t win in a car that wasn’t the fastest. May I remind them of Australia 09, where I believe he was catching JB in a what was then superior Brawn GP?

Each driver seems to have their respective best points, but I would say that Sebastian is a hell of a lot more well-rounded than Jenson, Lewis and Fernando were at his age, and although I would like to see an interesting season with lots of twists, turns and numerous winners, you can’t take away from the phenomenal job he’s doing at the moment.

13. dlaird said on 10th May 2011, 23:56

Seb is doing good job with that car. My vote goes to Alonso. He drove a great race. Kobyashi was entertaining as always. Hopefully another team can challenge the Raging Bulls at barcelona. Mclaren are supposed to have some major updates for that weekend.

14. smithyF1 (@smithyf1) said on 11th May 2011, 10:19

Had to be Kobayashi for me. Love this guy. I really do hope he gets a chance at one of the biggest teams over the coming seasons. I think he could challenege at the top in one of the top cars. 1st class Formula One driver and 1st class performance at the weekend.

15. Alonso /is the best in turky