The organisers of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will decide at the end of the month whether to make alterations to the track this year.
This would give them time to arrange and build the changes in time for this year’s race.
Richard Cregan, the chief executive of the Yas Marina circuit, told The National that the increased overtaking seen in F1 this year may influence the decision:
“We are looking at the effect the technical regulations have had on the racing this season and so far they have produced great results for the spectators, which is the most important thing.
“Definitely, the new regulations have made Formula 1 more exciting, but we will be watching the next couple of races keenly to see how they unfold before making a decision.”
The circuit had been considering changing its layout in order to make it suitable for motorcycle racing.
A spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: “If we decide not to go ahead with any changes, then that would put back any possibility of hosting Moto GP here, which we have been looking at for 2013.
“However, even without those changes, it might still be possible to hold motorcycle racing at club level, host the UAE Sportbike series, hold motorcycle track days and so on – but that would depend on FIM [International Motorcycling Federation] approval.”
Last year Populous, the architects who handled the track changes at Silverstone, demonstrated how the track might be altered to aid overtaking: How Yas Marina could be changed to aid overtaking.
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team