Alonso extends Ferrari contract to 2016

2011 F1 season

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Silverstone, 2011

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Silverstone, 2011

Fernando Alonso will remain at Ferrari until the end of 2016 after signing an extension with the team.
Ferrari announced the deal on the eve of Alonso’s home race.

Alonso said: “I am very happy to have reached this agreement.

“I immediately felt comfortable within Ferrari and now it feels to me like a second family.

“I have the utmost faith in the men and women who work in Maranello and in those who lead them: it is therefore natural for me to decide to extend my relationship in the long term like this, with a team at which I will no doubt end my Formula 1 career one day.”

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said: “It is a great pleasure to have renewed our agreement with a driver who has always demonstrated a winning mentality even in the most difficult circumstances.

“Fernando has all the required qualities, both technically and personally to play a leading role in the history of Ferrari and I hope he will be enriching it with further wins very soon.”

Last year Felipe Massa signed a deal which runs to the end of 2012.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image © Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

123 comments on Alonso extends Ferrari contract to 2016

1. kbdavies said on 19th May 2011, 11:56

@Icthyes

Hamilton has beaten Vettel, but its not because of the car, which validates my point that McLaren have not given him a championship winning car for a while, and are unlikely to do so in the near future.
    Also, the prediction is from Mclarens form over the past 3 yrs (this is where predictions come from).
    Its been a case on 1 step forwards, and 2 steps backwards as far as their updates have been concerned.
    Please tell me the last time McLaren have CONSISTENTLY improved their pace over a season, and at every race in the last 5yrs? This is something Renault & Red Bull achieved last yr, and Red Bull and Ferrari are doing this year
    You only have to read Tim Goss’s comments this week. They are not even sure of which updates they are going to use yet!!
    They spent the whole of winter testing barking up the wrong tree, and they are about to spend the 2nd half of the season barking up that same tree. The Octopus Exhaust has NOT been ditched. They are still trying to optimise it for races.
    Cue 2010 when they introduced EBD to what was clearly the 2nd fastest car on the grid, and subsequently unbalanced it thereafter. They spent the 2nd half of the season trying to optimise it.
    Cue 2009, when they actually went up the wrong tree and stayed there. They found solutions that made the car better, but again went back to updates that didnt work thereafter!

2. slr said on 19th May 2011, 11:58

Great news, I expect to see Alonso win a few more titles, I wish him all the best. It would be great to see Alonso build his own legacy at Ferrari.

3. Daniel said on 19th May 2011, 12:01

I see a tough debate on Alonso vs Michael. I can say that Alonso wasn’t that good in the beginning of his career (despite winnig 2 WDC in 2005 and 2006) but it eventually become a very good driver. With Michael, it’s another story. It was an extraordinary driver in the beginning of his career. And he fought against a great company – Senna, Prost, Mansell. Then, he mainly fought with Mika, so yes the competition wasn’t that tough anymore. Then, it comes his boring career period when he had indeed a beter car than rest of the competitors had( he had its contribution in developing that car). So, in this part of his career, he wasn’t that great driver as he was before (or maybe he still was but there was no need to show it since the car was very good).
    In the end, it’s not a matter of how many WDC titles a pilot has; Mansell won 1 title but what a great pilot.
    Anyway, I think Alonso isn’t that good as Michael was in 1991 – 1999 period.

4. Even as a McLaren fan, I’m pleased to see Fernando sign on at Ferrari.

Mainly because it will keep him out of the title race for the forseeable future (joking) :-)

The greatest times in F1 are when you have top drivers spread across 3 teams or so, all capable of winning a championship.

I still hold out hope that Robert Kubica will return well to F1. I would have loved to see him up against Fernando at Ferrari.

5. paolo (@paolo) said on 19th May 2011, 13:39

Is there any news with Valentino Rossi? I know he tested briefly and performed well, but I seem to recall him deciding F1 wasn’t for him..

6. sumedh said on 19th May 2011, 13:54

I am happy to see Alonso continuing at Ferrari. Theirs is a perfect marriage. Ferrari perform best when they have clear number 1 and number 2 and Alonso performs best when he is made a clear number 1.

But a part of me wanted to see Hamilton in Ferrari. And it is sad to see such long term contracts being signed. Vettel till 2014, Hamilton till 2012 and now Alonso till 2016, I am going to miss silly season :(.

7. Gill said on 19th May 2011, 13:55

I havent seen Michael racing in his prime so I cant rate him. I started watching F1 from 2006 (though I know the history of F1). Since 2006, there are only 4(Alonso, Raikonen, Hamilton and Vettel )very good drivers (I am not using the word GREAT here) And out of these, Kimi is out, Vettel is contracted to Red BUll, so is Ham. Remaining is Alonso. So it was a very obvious choice by Ferrai and a good one too. If anyone who can become Sachin Tendulkar of F1, I would call him great.

8. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 19th May 2011, 13:57

Not unexpected news but good nonetheless.

I imagine he will bag a couple of titles in that time, more so than any other driver…perhaps even Vettel.

Good to see a statement from LdM where he isn’t whinging for once.

9. The New Hope said on 19th May 2011, 14:14

When Ferrari breaks away from F1 and forms their own series with 10 Ferraris driven by Alonso and a bunch of Liuzzi-clones, will his titles still count?

10. Eggry (@eggry) said on 19th May 2011, 15:01

Good. Now Who will replace Massa after 2012 is the matter. I don’t think it would be Hamilton or Vettel. Kubica? If he shows he’s still good.

11. DaveW said on 19th May 2011, 15:09

Kimi had a contract to. So did Schumacher. Alonso will be asked to “take the cannoli” when his time comes too, contract or not.

12. The Limit said on 19th May 2011, 15:11

Its a good decision by all concerned. In all fairness, what alternatives were there. Ferrari know they have one of the best drivers, Fernando knows he has the undivided attention of one of the best race teams in the world. It, as Martin Brundle would say,is a ‘no brainer’.
    As for more championships you would have to say yes given the resources Ferrari have, and Alonso’s obvious talent. However, a lot depends on this season’s overall performance, and Luca’s patience not wearing thin if the team fails to win the championship. It would seem that Mercedes are starting to find their feet a little, which may give Ferrari alot more to think about than just McLaren and Red Bull.
    Personally, I can see Red Bull walking it this season, overall, they appear too strong and too good for the others. Longterm however, that will change, and Alonso is in one of the best positions he could be in if and when that happens. He appears more relaxed and focussed these days, even compared to his years with Renault. Certainly poles apart from his persona in 2007 with McLaren. So, yeah, for me it is the right decision.

13. rfs said on 19th May 2011, 15:40

Does anyone else think that Vettel will become a 3-time world champion before Alonso?

14. Jeremy said on 19th May 2011, 16:38

i’m curious to see the next teammate he has. This long term deal may sway others to stay away from Ferrari for the fear of being a permanent #2. It’s very likely Perez will end up there as he’s in the FDA but, i’m hoping he resists as it may be the end of his young career.

15. Mef said on 19th May 2011, 16:46

@NJB. definitaly COTD

A case of 1 measured sentence speaking a thousand words I think…