Mark Webber said he and team mate Sebastian Vettel expected they would be competing between themselves for pole position at the Circuit de Catalunya.
Speaking after taking pole position, Webber said: “It was pretty clear going into qualifying that we might have a bit of a margin so it was probably going to be down to Seb and I for the front row – without being arrogant, you never can underestimate these guys but we thought we were probably going to battle for pole between ourselves.”
He added: “The lap was pretty good, I was just praying that my number went above number one when I crossed the gantry at the start/finish line, and it did.
“So it was a nice lap, a good battle with Seb and today was my day.”
2011 Spanish Grand Prix
- 2011 Spanish Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for the best driver of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel soaks up pressure for fourth win
- McLaren: Hamilton strong on “disastrous” Pirellis
- Ferrari: Alonso stars, Massa struggles
- Mercedes: Rosberg wanted Schumacher to let him pass
- Renault: Heidfeld eighth after “worst fire of my career”
- Sauber: Kobayashi gets point after puncture
- Williams: Maldonado reaches Q3 but still no points
- Force India hold back on aerodynamic upgrade
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images