Narain Karthikeyan finished the Spanish Grand Prix with a burnt back.
In practice HRT looked at risk of failing to qualify as they were often more than 7% slower than the quickest driver.
Both drivers made it into the race but would have been in trouble had McLaren or Red Bull chosen to use soft tyres in Q1.
|Narain Karthikeyan||Vitantonio Liuzzi|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’27.908 (+0.099)||1’27.809|
HRT drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Karthikeyan said he was in pain throughout the Spanish Grand Prix:
“It was a very hard race. The tyres were degrading a lot, especially the rear ones making it very difficult to drive. The first few laps were all right but then the rear started giving me a lot of problems.
“I also had some trouble with my seat, I burnt my back and at times the pain was unbearable. The positive aspect was that I finished the race although we didn?óÔé¼Ôäót get much out of it.”
Made a good start to pass Timo Glock. Felt he could have kept the fight up had he not had to retire with a gearbox problem:
“After the first pit stop, with the second set of tyres we lost some grip in the rear just like in qualifying. I also started feeling issues with the upshift, it was getting worse and worse and eventually had to stop.
“We have to investigate why this happened but it?óÔé¼Ôäós still too early to say what the reason was. It?óÔé¼Ôäós a real shame because without this issue we could?óÔé¼Ôäóve had better pace for the second stint and fight with the Virgins until the end.”
2011 Spanish Grand Prix
- 2011 Spanish Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for the best driver of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel soaks up pressure for fourth win
- McLaren: Hamilton strong on “disastrous” Pirellis
- Ferrari: Alonso stars, Massa struggles
- Mercedes: Rosberg wanted Schumacher to let him pass
- Renault: Heidfeld eighth after “worst fire of my career”
- Sauber: Kobayashi gets point after puncture
- Williams: Maldonado reaches Q3 but still no points
- Force India hold back on aerodynamic upgrade
Image ?é?® Motioncompany