Williams point-less streak continued in Spain despite a top-ten start for Pastor Maldonado.
Technical director Sam Michael said the team had a lot to work on: “Although our end positions don’t look like it, we are improving but it is extremely tight in the midfield. If you don’t get it right, you end up 15th instead of 10th.
“The main thing for us now is to keep focused and to improve the upgrades we bring to the car.
“Over the next couple of races in particular we need to get the front and rear wings and the diffuser working. Today we had a problem with the rear jack on both cars so we will look into that before Monaco.”
|Rubens Barrichello||Pastor Maldonado|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’26.910 (+3.504)||1’23.406|
Williams drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Barrichello’s qualifying was ruined by a gearbox problem, leaving him 19th on the grid albeit with a full stock of fresh soft tyres.
He started the race on hard tyres with the intention of getting that stint out of the way early. But he had to run a final stint on hard tyres again and, like Maldonado, he was delayed by slow pit stops due to the jack problem.
More problems with the Kinetic Energy Recovery System cost him further time. “That?óÔé¼Ôäós another race with no points”, he said. “We need to improve”.
Gave the team some cheer by making it into Q3 for the first time. “The car wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót great so we took a bit of a risk and decided to run the new rear wing in qualifying”, he said.
But having started ninth he was down to 13th by the first corner: “We didn?óÔé¼Ôäót have a great start, which is something we need to work on.”
Made four stops like his team mate – who he passed at one point. Finished the race trying to pass Sebastien Buemi for 14th.
2011 Spanish Grand Prix
- 2011 Spanish Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for the best driver of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel soaks up pressure for fourth win
- McLaren: Hamilton strong on “disastrous” Pirellis
- Ferrari: Alonso stars, Massa struggles
- Mercedes: Rosberg wanted Schumacher to let him pass
- Renault: Heidfeld eighth after “worst fire of my career”
- Williams: Maldonado reaches Q3 but still no points
- Sauber: Kobayashi gets point after puncture
- Force India hold back on aerodynamic upgrade
Image ?é?® Williams/LAT