Truck fire damages track tarmac in Monaco

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: A section of track at Monte-Carlo is replaced following a truck fire.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Voxvocis on Twitter

A truck fire at turn one at Monaco has led to a section of the track being replaced. With new tarmac going down less than 48 hours before the first practice session, and a braking zone being part of the track replaced, this could cause problems for the drivers.

Images courtesy of Voxvocis.

Via the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app

FIA Plans ??Three Strikes? Rule For Reprimands (Speed)

“The FIA is set to introduce a ??three strikes? system to ensure that reprimands for drivers are no longer meaningless, and instead could add up to a grid penalty.”

Byron Young on Twitter

“It was confirmed to me this morning that the reason Lewis couldn’t overtake Vettel in Spain was that the gear ratios weren’t long enough…”

Via the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app

The mysteries of Red Bull v McLaren (BBC)

“So take your pick: the Red Bull has too much downforce for the Pirellis to be able to use; it derives more drag reduction from its DRS; it has better hot-blown diffuser mapping and loses KERS performance. Or some sort of combination therein.”

Lewis Hamilton: I’m the only driver who can stop Sebastian Vettel (Metro)

“I?m always pushing the guys ?ǣ we need this, just for Monaco, whatever you can, bring everything. I can?t imagine anyone pushes their team as much as me.”

Guernsey’s where the heart is for Button after quitting Monaco’s playboy lifestyle (Daily Mail)

“I parked in the wrong place which was embarrassing but as I was running down the straight I was thinking ‘This isn’t embarrassing, I’ve just won the race and they are all here to see me’. It was a really special feeling.”

A walk down memory lane reminds us of Ferrari’s snub to Stirling Moss (The Guardian)

“I was stunned. I did not forget, and I would not forgive, and because of that it would always give me great pleasure to beat those red cars.”

Paul Di Resta: Q&A (Force India)

“I did one race there in F3 in 2005, so it was a long time ago. I live there as well, so it?s home! I?m in the car in both sessions on Thursday. Hopefully we?ll have the new upgrade to try again, and we?ll see where we are. The key at Monaco is track time, and hopefully we?ll get plenty of it.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Much reaction to another change in Ferrari’s technical team yesterday. Here’s The Limit:

As soon as I saw Alonso go a lap down on Sunday, I knew somebody was going to get fired. By that I am not saying it was Alonso?s doing, but that Grand Prix emphasised everything that has gone wrong with Ferrari?s season so far.

I hope for Domenicali?s sake that this ??quick fix? in firing Costa and replacing him with Pat Fry works, as it might by Stefano out on his ear at the end of the season. Ferrari coming out and admitting that they a putting a lot of their efforts into the 2012 car does not sound too promising, especially as this season was supposed to be the one in which Ferrari took back the title they lost in 2010.
The Limit

From the forum

Should Force India swap Sutil for H???lkenberg?

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Sumedh!

On this day in F1

Nigel Mansell won the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps 25 years ago today.

The race got off to a chaotic start as Alain Prost and Gerhard Berger collided at the first corner:

80 comments on Truck fire damages track tarmac in Monaco

1. mcmercslr (@mcmercslr) said on 25th May 2011, 0:09

I bet heidfeld was involved in that fire :P

2. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 25th May 2011, 0:12

The camera angle on Eau Rouge is great! And the old BBC grid music…best of all is the idea of Spa being Round 5!

• Ratboy said on 25th May 2011, 0:27

The review Tape is good, Clive James has such a dry sense of humour which showed at the start of Spa

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 25th May 2011, 0:17

this could cause problems for the drivers.

Let them deal with it. They’re the best drivers in the world; we should be making things as difficult as possible for them.

4. mitchibob (@mitchibob) said on 25th May 2011, 0:38

I’m thinking that the marshals during the F1 would’ve put that out FAR quicker… may have not even have needed a safety car… probably would’ve have just lifted it out still burning! ;-)

5. Cacarella said on 25th May 2011, 2:03

Sometimes, I like the Lewis that doesn’t speak his mind and spouts the PR line.

I might get some slack for that comment, but shouldn’t Jenson be a tad offended?

• David-A (@david-a) said on 25th May 2011, 2:30

Deep down, Jenson knows that his best result has been a solitary, distant second to Vettel, while Hamilton won in China, and pushed him close in two of the other races.

And I like his comment- “At the moment the only person who has an answer to Sebastian is me”, since I think it’s true, straight to the point, and the sort of no-nonsense comment we crave from the drivers.

• Cacarella said on 25th May 2011, 2:36

When you explain it, it sits much better with me, and he is right, he is the only one with an answer.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 25th May 2011, 4:26

It sounds arrogant to me, but I feel we may have had to be there, listening to his conversation to understand what context it was used in. Sometimes (whether intentional or not) Lewis can say things that make him seem quite arrogant. Take a look at his interview with Murray Walker in the April edition of F1 Racing magazine for example…

• Mike said on 25th May 2011, 5:56

It may be arrogant but he’s right. Alonso hasn’t been given the car, and Webber doesn’t have the pace.

I know we all talk about the late 80s early 90s and how great it was with so many great drivers and teams, but we have that now.

Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Webber, Button and even guys like Rosberg aren’t far back.

I think F1 is entering a new golden era.

• Hamish said on 25th May 2011, 7:36

As much I am not a Hamilton fan, you’re right.

Still loses points for that stupid beard however….

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 25th May 2011, 7:43

Yes, I think you are right, and he is, that he seems the only one who can hold Vettel in check – although the season is still long.

I did think it funny how he apparently doesn’t believe Alonso is pushing Ferrari just as hard. I bet he is, and has been pushing hard now for a year, but in 2011 so far it hasn’t a answered by Ferrari. Effectively, Hamilton is saying he can’t believe a team of their calibre not being able to do something more (because surely he knows Alonso can be pushing his team a lot).

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 25th May 2011, 9:28

I have that edition – what paragraph do you mean?

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 25th May 2011, 12:28

I have that edition – what paragraph do you mean?

Murray Walker asks about Lewis’ first experience in something with four wheels and an engine.

Lewis Hamilton:

I remember it was our first holiday as a family. There was me, my dad and Linda, and we rented two mopeds, which we went around the whole town on, and they had this area where you put in a coin and ran round in little bumper cars. But their shape was like that of a Formula 1 car. So I was sitting in a model of Ayrton Senna’s car driving this thing, which was a three-wheeler, and I was in it all day long – they couldn’t get me off it. And then we found a go-kart circuit that had about three corners, it was really small and I remember it like it was yesterday. I got in that kart and straight away I picked up this knack of braking, and when I started karting I won races using that same knack.

I mean, it’s not exactly arrogant, but he sounds like he’s telling a story about his now famous son or something. It almost seems as if he is actually retelling the stories his parents told him about what he was like as a little one. But the next answer made me cringe a little. (I don’t know whether he means to come across this way or not)

Murray Walker:

Do you think that was because of the genes that your mother and father had given you? Or some natural attribute?

Lewis Hamilton:

I think it’s a blessing for me. I feel like I’ve been given this incredible gift. I think the mixture of my mum and dad’s qualities have made me the way I am, but it’s difficult really to explain.

Later in the interview (when asked about his driving style) he says “I don’t know how I do it.” To me, it just seems that he looks at himself from a third-person perspective. Some of the stuff he says sounds like something a journalist would write in their introduction to a legendary driver, yet it’s coming from his own mouth. Don’t get me wrong, I love Lewis as a driver, but he tends to make me cringe a little off the track. As I said, I’m not entirely sure if he is arrogant, or he just comes across that way, but it would explain why some people perhaps don’t like him.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 25th May 2011, 12:45

Well I’m not surprised I didn’t pick up on it then! There really doesn’t seem much cause for complaint from what he said.

I don’t see the problem with the first story at all. It’s like criticising me for saying how I fell in love with astronomy because I can still remember when my mother bought me a book in Sainsbury’s, etc. (true story).

And then it’s arrogant talking about his gift? Of course he has a gift, just like Vettel, Alonso, Kubica, Webber, Button, Massa, Schumacher, Rosberg…

‘I don’t know I do it’ seems an honest answer to me. I have a friend who’s good at darts and he tells me there’s no way to explain how he’s good, he just does it.

I get that you say your problem is with the style and tone, but it’s a) print b) edited c) such a tiny thing. If he said “I’m the best and I do things no-one else can/does” of course. But it could be any driver saying these things and be equally true.

• Randy (@randy) said on 25th May 2011, 18:21

To me, it just seems that he looks at himself from a third-person perspective.

He’s an Illeist, one who refers to himself in third person.

Randy never does that, btw. :)

I don’t get what’s wrong with him putting himself as the only one able to challenge Vettel. Some people automatically see this as arrogance, i don’t.

Let’s be honest, wether you like him or not – he earned his praise. I remember his interviews when he said how he worked very hard to get where he is and how hard it is to earn money, i believe him. He’s enjoying himself to the fullest – i would as well if i were on his position.

Maybe apart from the hideous jewelery, but as long as he’s happy with it…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th May 2011, 8:02

Yep, good to hear a driver speaking his mind. I file this of being in line with Alonso last year stating his intent in Silverstone.

A bit of braggin, but I love him saying it aloud. And i hope he gives it his all to make true on that.

If Alonso had his Ferrari up to the job, he would be saying just about the same, I guess. Well, maybe he still will?

• Oliver said on 25th May 2011, 5:16

Lewis started that comment with the phrase, “At the moment………”. Meaning it may not be the case after a few races.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 25th May 2011, 7:50

‘At the moment the only person who has an answer to Sebastian is me, and in a car not as good, and I’m quite happy with that,’ Hamilton said.

Lewis really needs to pull his head out of his a**. I don’t know whats worse – his scripted PR statements or the statements that are made without the consent of his PR team. Either ways, I hope Fernando finishes in front of him in Monaco, just so that Lewis could have another foot in the mouth situation.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 25th May 2011, 10:03

At the moment the only person who has an answer to Sebastian is me

He’s the only other person to win, only person to have finished second twice and has the second-most podiums behind Vettel. In 4 of the 5 races he has caught Vettel up during the race too.

and in a car not as good, and I’m quite happy with that

Which is saying, if I’m close to him in an inferior car, imagine what happens when we close the gap?

Not meaning you specifically, but Hamilton could say the sky is blue and be slated for it.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 25th May 2011, 14:30

100% agree.

• Robbie said on 25th May 2011, 14:35

At the moment, LH is second in the WDC standings, so his comments are not coming out of left field. Someone suggested this might be a slagging of JB, but I think it is MW that should be more embarassed. He is the the same car, one obviously proven to be a race winner and often able to run away with it, if not by far, at least comfortably. LH and JB are in cars a little less capable than the Red Bulls. It is MW that should be concerned that he is not closer to SV (not saying he isn’t). At least JB is closer to his teammate than MW is to LH, FM is to FA, MS is to NR…

• Robbie said on 25th May 2011, 14:57

oops, that should be “He is in the same car…” and also it should read “JB is closer to his teammate than MW is to SV…”

6. David-A (@david-a) said on 25th May 2011, 3:36

Happy birthday sumedh! :D

7. Oliver said on 25th May 2011, 5:21

The Monaco circuit is barely recognisable after the race, when all the barriers have been removed. I doubt the truck driver even knew he was at turn one, else he would have moved to turn two.

• joseph said on 25th May 2011, 11:15

I thnk the truck was full of tyres for the tyre barriers. Not sure how it caught fire but its 30 degrees in the day time at monaco.

8. Mike said on 25th May 2011, 5:58

I miss Murry. As great as the technology is now, and as much money as they spend on it, you can’t match the enthusiastic feel he gave it.

9. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 25th May 2011, 7:33

Well, as Martin and Bernie discussed it in Canada 2008, brand new tarmac in one of the heaviest braking zone and the DRS zone of the track certainly makes for a more interesting race – who slammes it into the wall ahead, and who’s not etc.

As much as I don’t like Hamilton exactly because of this kind of agressive demeanour now he is right. Someone said before me: Alonso hasn’t got the car, Webber hasn’t got the pace. Also given the same circumstances, same fuel, same tyres, Hamilton is constantly better than Button by 0.2 secs approx., when it really counts. This has been discussed here before. So he really is the biggest challenger on the long run… So eventually he’s not right: he says ‘ATM’ but I feel like it’s more of a long run stuff.

ATM Monaco has the softs and super-softs and the high rear tyre degradation could be a serious problem for the agressive driving style of Lewis – something which Fernando seems to have fine tuned since 2005, when he had this problem. So as for Monaco I would bet for Button finishing ahead of Lewis as of now. But in the long run Lewis really could be the one who challenges Vettel more or less this year.

• supernicebob (@supernicebob) said on 25th May 2011, 10:00

In situations where tyre wear has been so high that it’s a problem for everyone, I think that Lewis is one of the best placed drivers in terms of getting the most out of a difficult and unbalanced car.

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 25th May 2011, 13:30

That’s for sure, in a field where everybody drives unbalanced cars he would probably win.

But I meant that the way he drives he uses up his tyres quicker which means probably one more pit stop for him than for example for Alonso, or for Vettel. Or two more than Button.

10. BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th May 2011, 7:53

Nice interview with Di Resta on the FI site.

But what I found stunning was his answer considering DRS:

“Yes, I did quite a lot of passing. I got Nick Heidfeld at one point, Alguersuari twice, Buemi and Maldonado. But I was a good bit quicker at those points. I think if you were just a little bit quicker, you wouldn’t have been able to do it.”

Now correct me if I am wrong, but I honestly did not see even one of those passes. FOM great broadcasting crew(TM)?

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 25th May 2011, 8:37

Haven’t seen them either. But I was on the edge of my chair, thinking that in Spain the DRS worked just fine, compared to Turkeys ‘push to pass’. So to me, the broadcast was fine, I watched a good race and felt entertained. If I had been watching a leader with 25 seconds on the nr 2 for ages, then I would’ve agreed. We all know FOM sometimes misses the action. But in Spain it was good for me.

• Doance (@doance) said on 25th May 2011, 8:49

I dont think the DRS worked well enough at Spain. I couldnt see any difference for Webber when attacking Alonso. Top speed might have something to do with it, gear ratios..

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th May 2011, 9:27

True enough. It was genuinly tense watching, really refreshing to see some long intense fights going on again.
        DRS was just right to have Lewis stay close there with a comparably fast car.

But FOM did give us laps of Alonso instead of Hamilton and Vettel and laps of Vettel instead of the Webber – Alonso fight. Their coverage was abominal again.

11. BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th May 2011, 8:11

A very nice read about Moss and Ferrari in that Guardian article Keith. Well worth it to read.

12. BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th May 2011, 8:14

I think the 3 strikes thing for reprimands is a good one. How many times have we argued amongst ourselves weather a reprimand was a penalty at all?
    Now the FIA has an answer to it, and this makes handing out reprimands a usefull addition to stewarding.

This is a lot better than having or not having it weighed for possible future infringements, like the penalty for excessive weaving given Hamilton in Malaysia partly because of his reprimand last year.

• HounslowBusGarage (@hounslowbusgarage) said on 25th May 2011, 8:56

Yes, I agree. The three strikes idea seems to be both reasonable and relevant as long as there is some kind of time limit for the first two of those ‘strikes’.
      Let me put it this way, if a driver exhibited early season exuberance at the first two races, but then calmed down and behaved right up to the penultimate race of the season where a petty indiscretion (eg not attending a drivers’ briefing) could have a huge impact on the WDC and WCC.
      These strikes must have some kind of time limit – just like the penalty points on your driving licence.

13. HounslowBusGarage (@hounslowbusgarage) said on 25th May 2011, 9:05

Nice clip of Spa.
    I still prefer that version of the bus stop! And it was great to see Johnny Dumfries in fourth place for a while, I’d sort of forgotten about him. He’s now reverted to plain John Bute and avoids using his titles if at all possible.

14. Bleu said on 25th May 2011, 9:06

Yesterday there was a traditional football match where some of F1 drivers played.

15. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 25th May 2011, 9:07

I wonder with those two have estinguished that fire :