Alonso to wear gold helmet in Monaco

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monte-Carlo 2011

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monte-Carlo 2011

Fernando Alonso will sport an unusual gold-coloured helmet during the Monaco Grand Prix weekend.

The helmet is a similar design to his regular one, but uses gold and white colours in place of blue and yellow.

It will be auctioned at the end of the season to raise money for the Fondazione Fernando Alonso which promotes road safety initiatives for children.

Alonso will also wear the helmet at the Singapore Grand Prix.

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

46 comments on Alonso to wear gold helmet in Monaco

1. Shiny :D . I do look forward to all the fancy Monaco helmets

2. Gman said on 25th May 2011, 19:16

Sounds good; nice to see that it will be auctioned off :)

Of all the Monaco helmets from recent years, I most liked the casino wheel Lewis used.

3. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 25th May 2011, 19:22

Lol for a second I misread that the helmet was solid gold.

Looking forward to see if there are any other special Monaco helmets to look out for.

• Unlikely.

Too heavy and not good as protection. Also expensive but that wouldn’t be a problem.

• Tobitron said on 25th May 2011, 23:11

Well thanks for stating the obvious. I sense a real lack of irony around this site.

But in all, I would say a solid gold helmet would be far less expensive than the monstrous caging they plop on nowadays.

4. LuvinF1 said on 25th May 2011, 19:24

I would of thought it would be tin-foil so Helmut couldn’t steal their messages in return.

5. David-A (@david-a) said on 25th May 2011, 19:31

Ferrari haven’t won the Gold (probably actually silver) trophy here for 10 years now.

6. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 25th May 2011, 19:36

The helmet looks a bit like what Sutil had a couple of years ago.

And anyone else think Alonso looks just ridiculous with that “Kimi-style” cap on? :D

7. topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 25th May 2011, 19:44

I was going to make the predictable “Alonso: helmet” joke, but that’s actually quite nice.

8. Charity, comendable etc.

He has SUCH a funny face though, look at him, rolls and dimples and I don’t know what.

9. Fixy (@fixy) said on 25th May 2011, 19:51

Last year Liuzzi wore a gold version of his helmet too: http://www.f1wolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Liuzzi-Helmet-2010-Monaco-Special.jpg

10. Fixy (@fixy) said on 25th May 2011, 19:53

I feared it would have been ugly when I saw it on the homepage, but it’s actually nice! White and gold fit together and will be nice in a Ferrari. Probably though the arrows on top should have been silver, or another colour, to stand out. Hopefully he’ll win and increase the value of the helmet!

11. Prateek727 (@prateek727) said on 25th May 2011, 19:56

Yep, fits the scenery.

12. p8ell (@p8ell) said on 25th May 2011, 20:20

Gold.
    As opposed to the purple one he wears out the car.

13. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 25th May 2011, 20:31

When it comes to helmets I agree with Brundle – they should be like a driver’s signature! I’d prefer it if they kept their helmets the same for each race.

• Same but I don’t mind the odd one off especially if it’s for a good cause.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 25th May 2011, 21:17

I’m sure Vettel should be the one you should be saying this to – I agree with Steph. Alonso has kept the same design during the whole season, with differences between one and another, but a one off with special colours – and for a good cause – is nice.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 26th May 2011, 7:46

Even though Vettel can never decide on a colour for more than two weeks he does use that distinct glittery design quite a lot.

Thankfully Mark Webber’s is easy to pick out at a moments notice.

• Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 25th May 2011, 21:31

I agree, but as Steph said I think the odd change for special races, i.e. Monaco and possibly their Home races

• Palle (@palle) said on 25th May 2011, 22:28

I don’t think You need it to tell the difference of the drivers. If You just learn which car no they drive. To me the drivers signature is the way he drives together with his ability to see the racing events from outside his own cockpit also.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 25th May 2011, 22:59

At least this one is or a special occasion, and auctioned off, and it is the same design, but with different colours.

It does remind me of that Fisichella helmet mentioned above, but I don’t really dislike it, it is less of a jumble of colours than his usual helmet, so the pattern sticks out a bit nicer, for me.

The cap looks bad, but at least Alonso is smiling about the whole thing.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 26th May 2011, 6:09

I agree with Steph. But Vettel does change his helmet a bit too much. His Malaysia one looked like Webber’s from onboard if you weren’t paying enough attention!

14. Grammo (@grammo) said on 25th May 2011, 20:32

Personally I hope he keeps this helmet layout. I think his normal helmet design is plain ugly

15. Ads21 (@ads21) said on 25th May 2011, 20:36

I love his normal helmet design and hate drivers changing helmets but auctioning it for charity makes it alright. Not sure I’m keen on the colour, but if he gets a good result I’ll love it!

16. ferrari4life said on 25th May 2011, 20:49

I reckon if i was him id wear kubicas helmet not sure about the white trim on the gold.

17. Bartholomew said on 25th May 2011, 21:10

I wish he would keep wearing it. I dont like his existing helmet design.
    For a light blue color he should take a look at the old Jacky Ickx one, or maybe some other historical helmets such as the beautiful Ignazio Giunti or the Phil Read ones.

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 26th May 2011, 5:05

He uses Asturias light blue, so it’s probably fixed. I actually like it – very unique and stands out quickly. Especially when you compare it with his McLaren 2007 helmet – that was particularly bland.

18. Pink Peril said on 26th May 2011, 1:48

I like it, nice to see a bit of bling now and again in the cockpit. Talking of bling, did they ever find that diamond?

19. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 26th May 2011, 3:11

Wasn’t it that a driver (not sure whether it was Kimi or one from Jaguar team) had a crash & then lost his diamond from his helmet?

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 26th May 2011, 5:02

Klien in the Jaguar, 2004. The diamond wasn’t on the helmet, it was on the front wing. He crashed out at Loews, but when they recovered the car, the diamond had gone missing.

20. PeriSoft said on 26th May 2011, 5:09

Golden helllmet… of Alonnnso…
    There can beeee no… hat like theee!

Thou and I now, ere I driiiive now,
    Will make golllllden historyyyy!

The eight people who both visit F1Fanatic and have seen Man of La Mancha will get that. The rest of you, just smile and nod.