2011 Monaco Grand Prix grid

Row 11 21. Jerome d’Ambrosio 1’18.736
Virgin-Cosworth
22. Narain Karthikeyan** No time
HRT
Row 12 23. Vitantonio Liuzzi** No time
HRT-Cosworth

*Had best time deleted for cutting a chicane.
**Not within 107% of fastest time in Q1, but given dispensation to start.

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Monaco Grand Prix articles

32 comments on 2011 Monaco Grand Prix grid

1. Sick of Red Bull said on 28th May 2011, 15:13

From the top 7, who got fresher tyres left ? I reckon with a good race start and safety car, Hamilton may cause trouble to Red Bull.

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 28th May 2011, 15:26

With tyre degradation so low here I don’t reckon having fresh tyres for the race is as critical as it has been before. Hamilton’s best hope is for a fast starting Massa or Schu to get ahead of Webber or Alonso and hold them up, but I don’t really see Lewis finishing anything higher than third in a best case scenario

2. here’s to hammy’s redbull bloody nose…
    he really should keep his mouth shut.

3. I was really surprised Hamilton did not abort his qualifying lap after being so far down on the first sector. He wouldn’t have been lower than 9th but would have a choice of tyres. Now he’s starting in 7th and probably won’t be able to use his tyres to their best.

Of course, there’s no guarantee that starting on the prime tyre would be the right way to go, but it was probably worth the gamble when he wasn’t going to get on the front row.

4. Xenon2 (@xenon2) said on 28th May 2011, 16:25

Isn’t Maldonado 9th and Rosberg 8th?

5. Fixy (@fixy) said on 28th May 2011, 17:09

Alonso’s qualifying this year: 5th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 4th.

6. Go Button Go!

7. The Last Pope said on 28th May 2011, 17:34

If Perez doesn’t start, do they all move up or is the space left empty?

Just realised how close the midfield is in times.

8. Xenon2 (@xenon2) said on 28th May 2011, 17:36

I’m guessing at a 3-stop race with fresh super-soft tyres going about 20 laps and no more than 21 laps on the softs before they fall away.

9. Is it better to be on the inside or gain a position and move to the outside? Hamilton mentioned he would be happy to when interviewed after qual.

10. JerseyF1 said on 28th May 2011, 17:59

Can Schumi overtake Alonso at Monaco for the second year in succession? If he can do it at the first corner it would be the second Monaco race corner in a row that he’d pulled it of.

11. ionut said on 28th May 2011, 18:10

why is maldonado is front of rosberg ??

12. On the BBc site they have Lewis 10th on the grid and Perez 9th

13. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 28th May 2011, 23:38

Got ridiculed by my family for changing my Prediction time from 1:14.954 to 1:13.654… Got Vettel right, and was within a tenth! I’ve got my fingers crossed Hamilton makes up a few positions now and then I’m laughing!

14. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 29th May 2011, 3:01

I was expecting more from Renault but why on earth did HRT get a drive here? This team will create some trouble in the race today.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 29th May 2011, 9:16

I was expecting a lot more from Renault, too. But I think you’re being a bit harsh towards HRT. They didn’t cause any trouble last year.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th May 2011, 11:03

I’m with wasiF1 on this one. Although HRT haven’t caused any grief thus far this season (or Monaco last year) they clearly were not within the 107% rule and i’m not convinced their FP sessions should have been enough to let them race.

Don’t get me wrong, I like HRT, I respect them, but rules are rules.

15. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th May 2011, 11:01

I actually expected someone but Vettel on top. As soon as he got the top spot I was equally impressed but dismayed as I had pipped Alonso for pole.

I really should know better by now. Always an RB7 on pole!