Perez will not race in Monaco

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

Sergio Perez, Sauber, Monaco, 2011

Sergio Perez, Sauber, Monaco, 2011

Sergio Perez will not start the Monaco Grand Prix following his crash in qualifying, Sauber have confirmed.

A statement issued by the team said: “After Sergio Perez??s heavy accident in the final minutes of qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix, of course, the relief that the 21-year-old Mexican didn?t suffer any serious injuries is the overriding emotion inside the Sauber F1 Team.

“He was taken to the Hospital Princess Grace in Monaco where he underwent an extensive examination. The medical staff informed the Sauber F1 Team that he escaped the shunt with concussion and a bruised thigh.

“Perez will remain in hospital at least overnight and will definitely not start the race on Sunday.”

The team added they are still investigating the cause of the accident but had not yet discovered any technical failure that may have caused it.

Peter Sauber said: “Of course we are very relieved that Sergio wasn?t seriously injured. Up to the accident he was doing very well in qualifying, and also better than expected as he had out-performed all his direct competitors.

“For Kamui it didn?t go too well in qualifying, but we know what his skills are and expect them to play a role in tomorrow?s race.”

Kamui Kobayashi said: “Sergio?s accident was, of course, a shock and I?m obviously happy he has no severe injuries. In the beginning I didn?t know about the accident because I had been taken for a doping test.

“In qualifying I still had difficulties with my car, which kept bouncing too much despite some further set-up changes we did in the third free practice. Nevertheless, from my grid position points are within reach and this is what I?m heading for tomorrow.”

2011 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Spanish Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

21 comments on Perez will not race in Monaco

1. Russell said on 28th May 2011, 22:50

Yet another indication that the direction the FIA has taken with the technical design rules is way overdue for reassessment. With four big accidents at the same spot at Monaco, Alonso has said that the ‘extreme’ aerodynamic development in Formula 1 this year may have played a part in the spate of crashes.

Time to emphasise mechanical grip over aero grip for safety reasons and get better racing as well.

• Mike (@mike) said on 28th May 2011, 23:42

Spate? It was two wasn’t it?

• Russell said on 28th May 2011, 23:54

From Autosport:

One of the main contributing factors in all the crashes – suffered by Vitantonio Liuzzi, Vitaly Petrov, Nico Rosberg and Perez – is that the braking area is very bumpy, which is causing drivers to lock up their rears and lose control at that point of the track.

Petrov said the situation at the exit of the tunnel was unsafe, and something needed to be done to the track surface.

“It’s dangerous,” he said. “I nearly crashed there and Nico [Rosberg] was very lucky this morning. It is since they resurfaced the track after the tunnel.

“The bump is five times worse than last year and it was really difficult to brake there all weekend. I have a real problem with my back now. I think they should change it because it’s dangerous.”

Rubens Barrichello added: “With the bump like it is right now the car jumps, goes to the side, loses its brakes and you have no run-off.

2. Alfie said on 28th May 2011, 22:57

Peter Saub said: “Of course we are very relieved that Sergio wasn’t seriously injured. Up to the accident he was doing very well in qualifying, and also better than expected as he had out-performed all his direct competitors. By the way, my name is Peter Sauber, for all those out there.”

Poor Checo, doesn’t really seem serious but non-starting nonetheless..

3. Electrolite said on 28th May 2011, 23:02

For me, the best driver of the weekend so far, what a massive shame. Both him – and, Maldonado for that matter, took their cars and thrashed their more experienced team mates.

Let’s hope Kobayashi can use that racecraft of his and get that Sauber up and into the points :) For Sergio!

4. BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th May 2011, 23:08

For the fist time this year I miss FP3 AND Qualifying sessions and all of a sudden there is cars not setting times and force full crashes!

I must watch next time, to ensure that does not happen. Great to hear the cars and helmets are safe enough to withstand such a crash without any serious wounds.

A bit of strange bump there though. Its now 2 x Liuzzi, Rosberg and Perez having accidents at almost the same place and same way. I have bad feelings about this weekend all the way after that water running onto the track, and Liuzzi crashing in FP1 then those pretty bad crashes in GP2 qualifying as well. Please be carefull guys!

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 29th May 2011, 1:38

I almost wish I had missed it. When Perez didn’t get out of the car and the screens went up it was a very sickening few minutes.

I’m an old hand at this but if it had been worse it might have put me off of F1 for a while.

I’m just glad he’s OK and I hope he’s back in the Sauber very soon.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 29th May 2011, 11:07

+ 1xPetrov

5. The Last Pope said on 28th May 2011, 23:08

Maybe we will see Sergio on the pit wall with Peter and the crew for the race. Hope so.

6. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 29th May 2011, 3:07

Wish Perez a quick recovery for the Canada GP.

I doubt this is the kind of track where Sauber will be a car to fight but will love to watch Kobayashi drive with his small eyes & give us some entertainment.

7. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 29th May 2011, 5:56

They do doping tests on F1 drivers?

• Tim said on 29th May 2011, 9:34

Heikki Kovalainen tweeted about having to do one a few weeks ago. I can’t remember an F1 driver failing, but Tomas Enge lost the F3000 title when he failed a drugs test.

8. Kazuki (@formula-1) said on 29th May 2011, 9:27

I’m suprised that Perez wont have to miss a few more races with that crash,

9. Minimihkel said on 29th May 2011, 11:15

So is it possible that Gutierrez takes over for the race?

10. Funkyf1 said on 29th May 2011, 11:39

Sad to see him miss out, I believe he would of upset a few teams and drivers in the race. Wishing him a speedy recovery

11. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th May 2011, 12:26

I would have liked a little more from Kobayashi…however, the more drivers in front of him the more he can over-take! A rather optimistic view I know.

I never expected Perez to start but so glad he’s ok :)