Sergio Perez will not start the Monaco Grand Prix following his crash in qualifying, Sauber have confirmed.
A statement issued by the team said: “After Sergio Perez?óÔé¼?£s heavy accident in the final minutes of qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix, of course, the relief that the 21-year-old Mexican didn?óÔé¼Ôäót suffer any serious injuries is the overriding emotion inside the Sauber F1 Team.
“He was taken to the Hospital Princess Grace in Monaco where he underwent an extensive examination. The medical staff informed the Sauber F1 Team that he escaped the shunt with concussion and a bruised thigh.
“Perez will remain in hospital at least overnight and will definitely not start the race on Sunday.”
The team added they are still investigating the cause of the accident but had not yet discovered any technical failure that may have caused it.
Peter Sauber said: “Of course we are very relieved that Sergio wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót seriously injured. Up to the accident he was doing very well in qualifying, and also better than expected as he had out-performed all his direct competitors.
“For Kamui it didn?óÔé¼Ôäót go too well in qualifying, but we know what his skills are and expect them to play a role in tomorrow?óÔé¼Ôäós race.”
Kamui Kobayashi said: “Sergio?óÔé¼Ôäós accident was, of course, a shock and I?óÔé¼Ôäóm obviously happy he has no severe injuries. In the beginning I didn?óÔé¼Ôäót know about the accident because I had been taken for a doping test.
“In qualifying I still had difficulties with my car, which kept bouncing too much despite some further set-up changes we did in the third free practice. Nevertheless, from my grid position points are within reach and this is what I?óÔé¼Ôäóm heading for tomorrow.”
2011 Spanish Grand Prix
- 2011 Spanish Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for the best driver of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel soaks up pressure for fourth win
- McLaren: Hamilton strong on “disastrous” Pirellis
- Ferrari: Alonso stars, Massa struggles
- Mercedes: Rosberg wanted Schumacher to let him pass
- Renault: Heidfeld eighth after “worst fire of my career”
- Williams: Maldonado reaches Q3 but still no points
- Sauber: Kobayashi gets point after puncture
- Force India hold back on aerodynamic upgrade
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team