Vote for your Monaco Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

Start, Monaco, 2011

Start, Monaco, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Monaco Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Monaco Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Monaco Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – Terrific under pressure and eked out extraordinary longevity from his tyres. Both lucky and unlucky with the race stoppage and his slow pit stop.

Fernando Alonso – Tenacious as ever in a sub-par car. Gave away nothing in qualifying, quick off the line, dogged in pursuit of Vettel.

Jenson Button – Made a race of it with an unlikely strategy that came close to working.

Pastor Maldonado – Easily his best F1 performance so far, particularly impressive in qualifying and deserved points. Could have avoided the collision that put him out, though.

Timo Glock – Justifiably pleased with a strong qualifying performance and he clung on to the Lotuses in the race until his car broke.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Monaco Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Monaco Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (17%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (11%)
  • Jenson Button (33%)
  • Fernando Alonso (19%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (8%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (9%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (1%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)

Total Voters: 553

Loading ... Loading ...

Spanish Grand Prix result

Lewis Hamilton was voted the best driver of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend:

1. Lewis Hamilton – 39.6%
2. Sebastian Vettel – 23.9%
3. Fernando Alonso – 13.3%

Rate the Race: Monaco Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Monaco Grand Prix articles

181 comments on Vote for your Monaco Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend

1. Larcem said on 30th May 2011, 20:09

I have voted for Vettel on all races except China. He is on fire. Who cares if he isn´t passing other people. He´s so fast he doesn´t need to. The 5 pole positions are just a bonus in my opinion. Sure he has the best car, but tell that to Webber, whos is behind Hamilton and being followed closely by Button and Fernando.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 30th May 2011, 20:29

True. So far he’s been more consistent, and made lesser errors than Hamilton, Alonso, and Button. Vettel might have a machinery advantage, but hes capitalised on that advantage perfectly as well.

• Yoshitsune (@yobo01) said on 30th May 2011, 20:45

Yes, same for me.

I really don’t understand why people claim that he was lucky yesterday. He was a bit unlucky in his pit stop and the first safety car didn’t help him at all. At that point the only chance of victory was a one-stop strategy, because Fernando and Jenson were right behind him with fresher tyres. And he made it work, 60 laps with the same tyres. That was impressive.
      Of course, the red flags helped him a bit, but we can’t say that he won only because he was lucky.

2. Todfod (@todfod) said on 30th May 2011, 20:13

This weekend Button put in a stronger than expected performance, but again he opted for a different strategy instead of actually trying to overtake Vettel. Button never looked like he would actually be able to pass Vettel on track even when he had a significant tyre advantage. Alonso looked more menacing on the soft tyres than Jenson did on the supersofts. I picked Alonso for driver of the weekend.

3. Hairs (@hairs) said on 30th May 2011, 20:35

I picked Button, because I think he did everything right this weekend, and pushed hard. No he doesn’t have the attitude of Alonso “I’m not fighting for the championship, so if we crash, we crash” – some might see that as “racer’s spirit” – knowing Alonso’s history, I’d be equally certain it could be that he figures taking Seb out so he scores 0 points is just as good as gaining 8 points on him by coming first.

Vettel, Alonso, and Button all did great jobs this weekend – Vettel was still untouchable in a single lap, and torched it in the first few laps. Alonso again took his car further than it deserved, and looked like a threat whenever he was close. But the fact is that without bad luck, Button would have dominated that race after the first pitstops, and that was down to a combination of relentless speed, cunning, and racecraft.

What’s sad is that no doubt some commentators are going to believe that anyone who doesn’t agree with their own choice is blinkered, biased, a fanboy, or thick. It’s tiring. Pick a driver, make a logical argument, and if someone disagrees – look at their own argument and see if they’ve thought of something you didn’t. Simple, really.

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 30th May 2011, 21:17

Nice comment dude…

Just from me, I thought Alonso did well, but can not bring myself to vote for someone with his attitude. He may be a great racer, but he’s certainly no sportsman. Button gets my vote for the reasons you’ve already detailed so well.

• AnDrOiD said on 31st May 2011, 18:52

Vettel had bad luck too. He had poor pit stop. He was for the longest time on that tyres, while maintaining his pace, and defending, knowing which part/section of the track he needs put more speed, from someone who was on fresher tyres, for so many laps, make his own decision about the tyre strategy. Just to name a few.

In above short summary, it has the combination of qualities you mentioned and even more.

Pick a driver, make a logical statement, apply that statement to other drivers.

4. Guilherme (@the_philosopher) said on 30th May 2011, 20:39

I voted for Vettel, even though I know he has barely any chance of winning these polls.

Yesterday he had a slower car for 60 laps, yet he won the race – one of the finest drives of his carrer if you ask me. He had enormous pressure for half the race but still didn’t put the car a single centimeter off the line. He was just flawless this race (actually he has been flawless since Japan last year).

I think a close second goes to Alonso, thrid to Kobayashi and a long way behind comes Button. He was fast, but I wasn’t very impressed – his car was clearly faster because of his strategy, but that very strategy lost him the race. A bit of bad luck with the safety car timing, I know, but still he took a risky gamble and it didn’t pay off.

• Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 31st May 2011, 8:10

slower car? You mean older tyres. Too bad we will never now what would have happened when he had hit the cliff with his tyres.
      As for Button, lol you give him no credits for his drive because he had better tyres??? lol biased much? And it is not his strategy that lost him the race. It was because off the red flag.

5. Alex R said on 30th May 2011, 20:51

For those of you who are complaining that Vettel never gets voted the driver of the weekend just needs to remember that everyone loves an underdog, and dislikes dominant performances.

Those who triumph in the face of adversity evoke strong emotions…. This weekend Jenson Button is the peoples favourite, but rewind to 2009 and everybody was lamenting Jenson for only being able to win with a superior car.

• Alex R said on 30th May 2011, 20:53

lamenting wasn’t the word I meant… Criticizing lol

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 31st May 2011, 7:32

COTD for Alex R!!

6. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 30th May 2011, 21:11

JB again. Of the top three he gained the least and suffered the most from the Safety Cars coming out.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 31st May 2011, 7:37

Am I missing something? How did Jenson suffer the most from the safety cars coming out?

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 31st May 2011, 9:59

The first came out just after his pit-stop, which gave Red Bull the idea to leave Vettel out. The second saved some life for Vettel’s tyres and then led to the race being stopped and Vettel getting new tyres.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 31st May 2011, 10:18

I guess the 1st stop can be viewed in 2 ways. I thought that Vettel’s 13 sec advantage was reduced to less than a second, and he had Jenson on a fresh set of SS tyres hounding him. The 2nd stop was more of a disadvantage to Fernando, who looked more capable of taking the race win than Jenson did.

I think Red Bull would have left Vettel out either ways. I’m sure than unless Seb had a gap of 20 secs or so on Jenson, they wouldn’t bring Seb in anyways and lose track position.

7. infy (@infy) said on 30th May 2011, 21:11

Of the three, the only driver who finished ahead of where his car should have been was Alonso. Vettel didnt really do much considering the speed of his car. Button had the fastest car and only finished third with no chance at a win at all.

Alonso was the only one in a position to beat Vettel and in a car that had no place being anywhere higher than 5th.

For that, Alonso gets my vote.

8. David-A (@david-a) said on 30th May 2011, 21:15

I voted for Fernando Alonso. He dragged a car that was lapped last week to very nearly winning the Monaco Grand Prix. IMO, he was more likely to get the lead than Button was (and that’s assuming either was going to pass in the final 6 laps).

9. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 30th May 2011, 21:24

I can’t choose between Vettel, Alonso and Button. Neither of them put a foot wrong all weekend. As much as I don’t like him being this lucky, Vettel gets my vote for nursing his tyres for so long while he maintained his pace.

Keith, don’t be biased. ;) Maldonado could have avoided his accident with Lewis!? No way. He was in front, Lewis should have backed off when he saw he had gone for a non-existent gap. Same with Massa in Loews. Maldonado drove well.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th May 2011, 22:09

Pretty thin accusation of ‘bias’ without even bothering to say who or what I might be in favour of or against. Just goes to show what a baseless, knee-jerk response it is.

I’ve watched the replays of Hamilton passing Schumacher and Maldonado several times and as far as I’m concerned there’s little to choose between them, other than that Maldonado turned in on Hamilton and Schumacher didn’t. Hamilton got about as far along side each time.

What I did find odd about the whole Hamilton/Maldonado thing, as I mentioned in the Williams race review, was why they put him on soft tyres for the last stint when he should have had a set of super-softs left. That might have kept him out of Hamilton’s reach in the first place.

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 31st May 2011, 1:11

Come on, I wasn’t meant to be rude or anything. So leave out the personal remarks. I’m even ashamed of making this point here because I’m very fond of your work with the site otherwise.

I meant you were biased towards Hamilton, I just felt there’s no need to say it in an explicit way because it was evident from your words.

Yes, nice comparison with the Schumacher case, and yes, Schumacher haven’t turned in on Hamilton. But I think we shouldn’t blame him if he did. Look, everybody was throwing everything at Schumacher after what he did in Jerez ’97, because he hadn’t let Jacques pass when the Canadian was in front. The unwritten rule was that whoever is in front has the advantage, he could make his move(s), and the driver behind should accomodate. Senna on Prost, Suzuka ’89, similar situation, in my opinion Senna was mistaken. So applying this to these two cases we see Schuey and Maldonado in front and Lewis behind on both occasion. I think Lewis would never ever gone through in any cases – Michael just ‘left the gate open’ for him, but Lewis should have only nodded if the gate would have remained close. It wasn’t like that: both of them would have been out of the race if Schumacher holds his line. The driver behind, after realizing he had been too adventurous, should make everything possible to avoid contact with the man in front who choses his line. In my opinion Hamilton failed this principle in both cases – as he did with Massa in the Loews as well. I don’t want to sound like a big head or something it’s just how I see it. I just apply a basic principle to the situations and it’s just so that now Lewis is on the wrong end of the rope according to this principle.

As for the super-softs of Maldonado… Probably a strategic error. I wouldn’t have been the first on Sunday, would it.

• Bernard (@bernard) said on 31st May 2011, 2:13

Your grasp of the rules is sketchy at best if you believe that Atticus.

Article 16.1:

– illegitimately prevented a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre by a driver.

– illegitimately impeded another driver during overtaking.

Article 20.2:

Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as more than one change of direction to defend a position, deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

Link: Sporting Regulations – Driving protocol and penalties

• HxCas (@hxcas) said on 31st May 2011, 5:22

Your grasp of the actual rules are sketchy at best if you believe that Massa and Maldonado were illegitimately preventing a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre or crowding etc. The bottom line is that the stewards are experts at the rule book and aren’t biased. If they gave Hamilton two penalties then they were deserved.

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 31st May 2011, 10:55

That’s why I wrote it’s unwritten. It’s not even a rule, more of a principle. I know the rules says completely otherwise.

But based on the rules Maldonado & Co. should have been punished, not Hamilton, so it seems that the stewarts use more of a common sense in these cases: based on the rules – exaggerating a little bit – you could give a little knock to the rear left or rear right of the guy in front, and literally knock them out of the race, like you did in GP2 with F4 on in your early years.

Of course stewarts would come up with arguments for their decision – and it’s likely they invoke those exact same lines you cited.

And that’s the main problem, and all the source of our debates: the rules are not unambigous. What does it mean ‘illegitimately’, ‘deliberate crowding out’ and ‘abnormal change of direction’? Are they applied to the man overtaken, or to to one who overtakes? Etc.

But I’m sorry I accused you Keith, ours are just different point of views, I really shouldn’t have done that.

10. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 30th May 2011, 21:26

Alonso for me, he is driving a car which by all accounts should be battling Renault and Mercedes (look at Massa) and yet at Istanbul and here in Monaco he was pretty much the fastest guy out there. Red Bull is a superior car, you only have to look at Quali to realise this, but somehow Alonso managed to come very close to beating them.

On the subject of the Red Bull being slower in race trim compared to Quali, I think the fuel tank must be higher than other teams, and therefore they have a higher centre of gravity which is making the car unstable.

11. Centurion (@centurion) said on 30th May 2011, 21:27

Fernando Alonso got my vote. Like always, he gives it all he’s got regardless of the car he’s driving.

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 31st May 2011, 7:40

I think Alonso drove a superb race, and Massa was driving well too until the crash, but a lot of this is down to the unique characteristics of the circuit. The Ferrari thrives in slow speed environments due to its high traction and great mechanical grip. It’s the same car that suffered terribly in Spain, but on a track much better suited to its’ strengths.

This doesn’t take anything away from Alonso’s podium finish, merely from many of the arguments that state he was in a dog of a car that did not deserve to finish so well. It did deserve to finish so well and it was instrumental in Alonso’s attempt to win the race.

12. bob80 said on 30th May 2011, 22:23

Petrov deserves some credit too for beating Heidfeld in qualifying by 0.4s on pure pace and strong race before accident.

• John H said on 30th May 2011, 23:30

Indeed, although heidfeld really is uninspiring around Monaco… pretty much like most tracks to be honest.

13. Dave Blanc said on 30th May 2011, 22:25

It’a got to be between Alonso and Button hasn’t it? On reflection, i’m going to give my vote to Alonso simply because i remember thinking during the race – wow, how is this guy dicing for the lead with the 3rd best car around here? Very impressive. Button had a really good drive too, but Alonso’s talent (painful as it is to say) was out there for all to see on Sunday.

As for Hamilton, i’m a big fain of his and disagree with people saying he had a bad drive. It was only ever going to be one of two things: a quiet, non-eventful drive without incident to an average finishing position being stuck behind slower cars, or a firey risk taking afternoon with lots of aggression. And personally i’m so glad it was the latter. However, you’d have to be a pretty biased supporter to vote for Hamilton over Button or Alonso! It just wanted his weekend.

14. UKfanatic (@) said on 30th May 2011, 22:27

Pastor Maldonado unfortunatly was rammed by Lewis, there was nothing he could do, horrible to see a true british racing team having such a bad season

15. Seyr (@seyr) said on 30th May 2011, 22:58

I voted for Hamilton. In my opinion he made two mistakes this weekend: the attempted pass on Maldonado and losing his cool in the interview. I thought he did a fine job making the most of a desperate situation after qualifying 9th, considering everything that went wrong.

-A strategy gamble doing a single run in Q3 which obviously backfired.
    -Held up by Massa, ruining a hot lap.
    -Sent out to be first in line for track position for the Q3 restart, coming out with dreadful tire and brake condition.
    -As a result struggles on his last lap in Q3 and locks up at the swimming pool chicane, throwing away the 7th place lap to be 9th. Must be frustrating.
    -Ste Devote at the start of the race, rear ended by Schumacher which probably hurt his performance and confidence (suspected a right rear puncture).
    -An awful pitstop with no tires results in him behind Massa who is on Soft tires to Hamilton’s Super Softs. Is informed by the team that he has to pass Massa on track for the strategy to work.
    -In my opinion a racing incident at the hairpin when Massa turned in very early to close the door, hitting Webber in the process because of his now contrary line through the corner.
    -Penalized for a racing incident, serves a drive through.
    -Was running in the points again, making passes at Monaco, before being rear-ended by an inattentive Alguersuari and having his wing broken. Probably expected his race to be over, saved by the red flag.
    -7th after the race restart, and with little to lose, attempts a highly optimistic pass on Maldonado. He was clearly too far back at Ste Devote, and wrong to blame Maldonado for not yielding. But it’s easy to watch replays after the fact to gauge his closing speed to the Williams and the distance to the apex. Lewis was trying to salvage 5th place from a horrid weekend and went for a gap that might not have materialized.
    -Rightly penalized for causing an avoidable collision.

I thought who was the best driver of the weekend. The top three did a fine job but drove largely uneventful races under little pressure (due to the anticlimatic tire change at the end). Vettel was on pole and was saved by the red flag. Alonso used the first safety car to come out in second. Button was fast and consistent but didn’t look like he could pass on track. I had to give my vote to Hamilton for driving a good race under the most difficult conditions and everything stacked against him.