Raft of updates for FW33 in Canada

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Monaco, 2011

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Monaco, 2011

Williams will test a series of updates for the FW33 during practice for the Canadian Grand Prix.

Technical director Sam Michael said: “We will have a new front wing, brake ducts, barge boards and modified diffuser to test during practice, as well as the obligatory new rear wing for the lower drag level required in Canada”.

He expects an exciting race at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve:

“With the new tyres and DRS on two straights, I think this year?s race will be no exception.

“Set-up is geared towards aero efficiency on the straights and maximising traction out of the slow speed corners”.

Pastor Maldonado is bracing himself for a difficult weekend on a track he has no prior experience of:

“This race will be more difficult for me, especially at the start of the weekend, as I don?t know the circuit.

“The grip level will improve over the three days and so the track will change between the sessions. I will need to adapt myself day by day as it is important to be fully ready in time for qualifying on Saturday.”

2010 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Williams/LAT

13 comments on Raft of updates for FW33 in Canada

1. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 6th June 2011, 16:24

I hope those updates work for them so they can finally start showing the potential the FW33 should have in the back. That, and a bit of luck, I suppose.

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th June 2011, 16:34

I hope a big part of those updates actually make it on to the car for the race this time.

But they sure seem to be working full throttle at getting somewhere. Good thing Pastor brought the bag of money.

3. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 6th June 2011, 16:57

Yeah, Pastor’s sources might just came off in the end.

The Monaco upgrade suited them well. If it wasn’t for Rubens’ problems in Q1 they would have scored a two valuable grid spot instead of just Maldonado’s, I think.

So it seems they are on the right track at last. I wasn’t a huge fan of them when they were at the peak of their successes in the 90s, I supported Senna and Schumacher later on, but I certainly wouldn’t like to see such a traditional team end up in the rear of the pack.

4. Gnarly Racing (@gnarly-racing-2) said on 6th June 2011, 20:53

Will the raft of updates be taking part in the raft race that the teams usually have at Montreal?

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th June 2011, 23:43

Hoping for a good weekend for them. Maldonado did great in Monaco, hope he can keep it going.

6. DVC said on 6th June 2011, 23:48

Ha. I read ‘Raft’ as ‘Ralf’ and for one brief second I thought a second Schumacher was making a comeback!

7. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 7th June 2011, 0:52

Just for once, I’d like to see them stick an actual raft on a Formula 1 car.

• Mike said on 7th June 2011, 2:14

I know right?

Still, whose gonna be laughing if it rains?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 7th June 2011, 7:29

According to Uncyclopedia, it wouldn’t be the first time:

At the end of the 2008 season, critics and pundits alike noticed that the racing had produced exaclty the same result as the championship in 2007 as the 2008 champion won by just one hundred points. Because of this, it was decided that a raft of new changes was to be introducted. In keeping with this philosophy, teams were going to be required to actually race a raft until it became apparent that this might prove to be somewhat impractical. This, in turn, was criticised because Formula One is, for the most part, the very definition of impracticality. As the turn-about arguments continued, the teams continued to develop impractical cars instead of impractical rafts, and by the time anyone else noticed, it was too late to change anything.

Be careful – it does contain sweariness.

And yes, I wrote that. Years ago. It appears to be the only thing that has been kept in the article.

8. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 7th June 2011, 2:55

Do a good work on Saturday then you can capitalize from there on Sunday.This race for me I think will be a bit different.Can’t wait for it.