Button “disappointed” by qualifying pace

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Montreal, 2011

Jenson Button, McLaren, Montreal, 2011

Jenson Button admitted McLaren’s pace in qualifying was “disappointing”.

Speaking after qualifying seventh, two places behind Lewis Hamilton, he said: “It’s always frustrating when you’re not quick.

“We didn’t have the pace that we thought we would. We always know that our race pace is better than qualifying but I’m surprised to be where we are, yes.

“My last run was looking really good and then I over-drove and started locking up and lost a bit of time.

“I was very close to just pipping Nico [Rosberg] at the end but it didn’t happen”.

He denied his car was set-up for the anticipated wet conditions tomorrow, saying: “No, not specifically.

“But Formula 1 cars these days, you don’t set the car up definitely for wet conditions because we’e do used to it raining during the race that we have an optimised set-up that will work in pretty much every condition”.

Button said the car appears to be consistent over a race stint and he hopes to make up ground on Sunday.

He said: “I’m starting seventh but sixth, to be fair, is not a lot better than seventh. We’re on the clean side [of the grid] I think.

“A lot can happen here, this is a circuit you can overtake on so we’ve just got to hope our race pace is better than our qualifying because we’re a long way off what we expected to be around here.

“The Red Bulls are very quick, again, as always, but the Ferraris are very close to them. It’s just a pity we couldn’t get in amongst that really”.

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® McLaren

24 comments on Button “disappointed” by qualifying pace

1. Javaguy (@javaguy) said on 11th June 2011, 19:35

I’d expect most of Mclaren to be disappointed too, but betting on the weather like that and you’re asking for these kinds of issues. That said, things might change if it rains tomorrow.

2. Eggry (@eggry) said on 11th June 2011, 19:41

He should. It’s one of the best circuit for Mclaren. Now Hamilton’s consecutive victorie record in Canada is also in danger.

3. Antranik (@antranik) said on 11th June 2011, 19:41

I think anybody to be driving in a team like Mclaren, being used to having good races, would be dissapointed in 7th position. I’m sure everybody in Mclaren are dissapointed in this result.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 11th June 2011, 19:53

I thought McLaren would have been with Ferrari in performance, just behind Red Bull, but it’s clear they are, for this race only, the third strength.

• zecks said on 11th June 2011, 20:11

you guys have really short memories. it is the tires that affects the relative performance. The ferrari has been much better on the soft/super softs whereas the more abrasive tracks have suited the mclaren much better.

4. f1geordie said on 11th June 2011, 19:45

I am a massive mclaren fan but I had my doubts before the race and questioned why they were favourites. Their DRS is gaining much less than other teams and they don’t seem to be very fast on the straights.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 11th June 2011, 20:34

I predicted Alonso for pole. I’m wrong but really glad I didn’t pick a McLaren. Not particularly inspiring.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th June 2011, 20:47

I predicted Vettel. But I was not sure weather i had updated the time, so to test I put in someone else, then changed it back. A minute before closing, I saw that in changing it back I got Seb right, but it was Buemi for the race win!
      Changed it, but that was a few seconds late, bugger.

6. Del Boy said on 12th June 2011, 0:20

Why are they surprised? The MP4/26 has consistantly shown it only likes hot weather and therefore hot track surfaces. As soon as the track temp is above 35 deg it’s fast. It obviously is about tyre temp/pressure. If you look back, through 2011 when ever it’s overcast or cold the McLaren is behind.

7. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 12th June 2011, 2:43

I guess they have good pace store for the race,it will be interesting as how many pit stop does he choose relative to others in the race tomorrow.

8. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 12th June 2011, 7:55

Starting to regret my prediction of a Hamilton win. But anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does! :P

9. Solo (@solo) said on 12th June 2011, 11:12

Well they supposedly have a little more rear wing making them slower at the straights. Also they put longer gear on the cars with the resold in the end losing significant time in qualy pace.
    The strange thing is that Hamilton called it the “wrong gears”. So that makes you wonder if they just messed the set-up instead of being a strategy decision.

10. SupaSix-1 said on 12th June 2011, 13:48

Yep…regular as clockwork from jenson as usual…. starting to get the excuses lined up already for the post race interviews.

If it rains….mclaren will be mightily relieved – but if it doesnt then this will be another major calamity. IMO…considering the massive gap in points to sebastian and the closeness of the other rivals in the table….I didnt think mclaren can afford to risk such a big gamble – if vettel was alot closer than fair enough – If anything they shouldve had a split strategy.

Canada is a track favoured to the mclarens…To me this is yet another waste of a potential great result on a track which favours them. They shouldnt take big risks at the tracks that suit them….they should save the risky gambles for the tracks which dont suit them.

The team have already wasted Lewis’ opportunity of an expected win in monaco – and it may be likely that they’ve also ruined another great chance of another Hamilton win in Canada – Lets see what the weather holds.