Chance of rain promises classic race in Canada

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Montreal, 2011

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Montreal, 2011

Sebastian Vettel starts from his sixth pole position of the year in Montreal.

But several of his rivals are well-equipped to keep him from his sixth win of the year.

Not least of which the Ferraris, who had their best qualifying performance of the year.

The McLaren’s race pace is not to be underestimated either, and they look well-prepared for wet conditions.

Rain

The prospect of rain has dominated the teams’ preparations for the Canadian Grand Prix. Showers are expected throughout today at the circuit.

The drivers have had no running in the wet at Montreal so far. Nor have they had much experience of Pirelli’s wet and intermediate tyres, which are identified by orange and blue lettering respectively.

That does at least mean they have a full stock of fresh wet weather tyres available. This could prove important as the limited running they have done on them so far has indicated they wear out quite quickly.

As is always the case when a wet race is in prospect, there is much speculation over which teams and drivers have made the greatest concessions to a wet weather set-up.

The two McLarens and Nick Heidfeld are among those who appear to be running more wing. In wet conditions this could pay off with improved performance and better tyre life.

The start

The fast-starting Ferraris could pose a threat to Vettel at the start.

Fernando Alonso leapt from fourth on the grid to lead in Spain two races ago. He also gained one place at the start in Monaco despite the very short run to the first corner.

It’s a fairly short run to turn one at Montreal – just 200m, roughly the same as Melbourne. See below for more data on the drivers’ starts this year.

The first corners at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve also present a high risk of incident – remember Felipe Massa’s collision with Vitantonio Liuzzi last year.

Depending on the conditions, Race Control may order a single-file rolling start behind the safety car.

Strategy

If the race is dry, the top ten drivers will start on the super-soft tyres they qualified on.

Drivers were able to lap strongly on both compounds during practice with little sign of the problems they encountered last year.

But even without rain today’s race is expected to see much cooler conditions, which could also affect how well the tyres last.

Brake wear is always a consideration at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in dry races. They take the greatest punishment at the start of the race, on high fuel loads running in the hot slipstream of other cars.

Position change on lap one

Average Total 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jerome d’Ambrosio 0.67 4 4 0 -2 2 0 0

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

60 comments on Chance of rain promises classic race in Canada

1. Doug said on 12th June 2011, 10:32

I cannot wait for todays race!

For those wanting to follow the weather radar, I have found the following link.

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th June 2011, 10:43

I think it will be a massive race again. Track will be very slippery from the rain in the morning certainly.

Having wet would be nice, as it means we won’t have to bother with the doubled up DRS thing. But I would rather have slippery and maybe a small bit of rain with maximum part intermediates running, not a fully wet race.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 12th June 2011, 10:52

I think the conditions will change, so the drivers will change from intermediates to wets or vice-versa. Something new and exciting to watch out for!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th June 2011, 11:47

it means we won’t have to bother with the doubled up DRS thing.

I think you’re writing it off too quickly. I’m interested to see it just to see how it works. If there’s any race you can play around with it, it’s Canada because all the other elements for a thriller are already in place.

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th June 2011, 10:44

You know, given the choice between a wet race and a dry race, I’d have to say I’ll always pick a dry race – but one where the rain is a perpetual threat. I love watching everyone sit by lap by lap, constantly re-doing their calculations until finally someone makes the call. It happened in China last year, and that was fantastic.

4. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 12th June 2011, 10:49

id like the rain to come if it does, about 10 laps into the race so we can have a grid start.

5. Eggry (@eggry) said on 12th June 2011, 10:53

I wish rain would come during the race. Rail should spice the race but I don’t want to see rolling start.

6. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 12th June 2011, 10:57

Everywhere I look for Montreal it says rain. It’s going to be great!

7. ed24f1 (@ed24f1) said on 12th June 2011, 11:10

My one wish for this race is that there should be no Ferrari team orders should Massa get ahead.

Even if it costs Alonso some points now, it damages for the team in the longer run.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 12th June 2011, 11:34

I would hate that too. Alonso has so little chance of winning the championship, it would be painful.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th June 2011, 16:27

Alonso has so little chance of winning the championship, it would be painful.

He’s reckons he’s got until Silverstone to find something to fight Vettel with, or else Ferrari will have to start concentrating on 2012.

What I’d really like to see is Alonso find that something and keep in touch with Vettel all year – only to realise some time around India that he made the wrong call and that Vettel will be the 2011 World Champion.

Yes, I take a perverse kind of glee out of watching Alonso be forced to realise he’s only second-best.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 12th June 2011, 16:32

You mean his car is 2nd best

• Antranik (@antranik) said on 12th June 2011, 16:44

I’m not a fan of Alonso, but I still think he is the best out of this years drivers. Somebody pointed out in an earlier article that Vettel made errors on his pole lap and was still 1st, showing the superiority. IDK if that parts true or not, but either way I still think Alonso is a better driver.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th June 2011, 16:48

Oh, he might be the better driver – it’s his personality and attitude that rub me the wrogn way. I find him to be an entirely unlikeable person.

• Matthew McMahon said on 12th June 2011, 17:25

It isn’t looking good. But we have to look back to last year, after Belgium he was pretty much written off as having a chance of winning the title and he came back and very nearly took it. But I completely agree that in the current situation there is no call for team orders (still think it should be banned!). I’d love to see Massa get one on Alonso!!

• Cacarella said on 12th June 2011, 13:13

With a double drs zone or if it rains,
      I’m sure Alonso will be able to get past Massa without the teams help. As I’m sure Lewis, Jenson, and Mark will get by him as well.

8. Nixon (@nixon) said on 12th June 2011, 11:11

Lookout for Alonso because of his experience, and Hamilton because as Kieth said more wing and because he is brilliant in the rain.

9. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 12th June 2011, 11:15

Wow, Mark Webber is equal 2nd worst for average starting positions lost on the first lap. At least it’s a short run to turn 1, if he doesn’t have KERS.

• F1fan55 said on 12th June 2011, 11:42

The average is a bit bloated because of his Malaysia start without Kers, but he isn’t the best starter…

10. DryYoshi said on 12th June 2011, 11:17

I might have wanted a dry race today but since the tyre wear on the super softs doesnt seem too bad, bring on the rain!!!

11. BBT said on 12th June 2011, 11:34

Yesterday, here, we had a 75% chance of rain and it rained for 2 minutes, so I wouldn’t get overly excited about 60%, who knows what will happen there. Rain or no rain I’m sure it will be a great race.
    Rain = no DRS, that might be good.

12. BBT said on 12th June 2011, 11:42

It looks like most of the showers (more prolonged ones) will be before the race, but with showers you never know.

13. Michael Short said on 12th June 2011, 11:52

As I look out my Hotel window getting ready to go to thre train to the cirduit it is wet out but not raining. The wind is very gusty.

14. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 12th June 2011, 11:58

Gotta be Fernando or Vettel to take this one. Cannot wait for the Ferrari’s start, Massa could well sneak up.

15. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 12th June 2011, 12:14

What about tyres if it is a dry race who have the most number of option left?