2011 Canadian Grand Prix result

12 Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 61 9 laps 6 laps Accident
9 Nick Heidfeld Renault 55 15 laps 6 laps Accident
14 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 49 21 laps 6 laps Accident
5 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 36 34 laps 13 laps Accident
20 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 28 42 laps 8 laps Driveshaft
3 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 7 63 laps 21 laps Accident

*20-second post-race time penalty for gaining an advantage by cutting the track.

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Canadian Grand Prix articles

85 comments on 2011 Canadian Grand Prix result

1. Faraz said on 12th June 2011, 22:13

He took his team-mate and Alonso out the race.
    Webber lost control so he gained a postion.
    Schumacher was on old tires and Button had DRS.

Then Vettel went wide.

Button only won on luck not a real victory.
    A lot of things factored into that.
    So nothing special.

2. Tom said on 12th June 2011, 22:16

I await the stewards decisions on his clashes with Lewis and Fernando before getting too happy.

3. Larcem said on 12th June 2011, 22:20

I hope button gets this victory.

• bananarama said on 12th June 2011, 22:30

I hope so aswell, but for quite a while i was getting excited for Schumacher. He looked so good on a drying track. Reminded me of his drives that made me a fan. Sad i couldn’t really watch the race as I’m hanging round the hospital. (just a tiny bit of livestream now and then .. oh and thanks for the good wishes in the live chat btw).

4. Antranik (@antranik) said on 12th June 2011, 22:22

One of the best wins ever… after this race, Jenson is my favorite in the current field, next to MSC… Amazing race, totally worth the 2 hour delay and Safety cars.

5. Slim said on 12th June 2011, 22:23

What Faraz forgot to mention in his spiteful comment was that Button was repeatedly setting the fastest laps and was in last place with 6 pit stops before charging the field into forth place. Then he overtook Webber (who made a mistake, yes) and then Schumacher – legitimately. So Button deserves this win for sure.

• Tobitron said on 12th June 2011, 23:21

And the fact that the collision with Hamilton did nothing to help him get that victory, AND the collision with Fernando actually hindered his victory chances, actually does show it was down to his sheer determination to scramble up from the back, right to the end, setting fastest lap after fastest lap to claim what is so rightfully his.

• Faraz said on 12th June 2011, 23:29

No because both of them nearly got ahead of Button. So it would have been most likely one of them could have won. Also the Safety car played a massive part in the race.

• Faraz said on 12th June 2011, 23:31

Vettel made a mistake??? About 4 cars retired ahead of him. Safety car played a massive role in the race. Which gave Button a load of luck.

6. F1_Dave said on 12th June 2011, 22:24

DRS is a joke.

Those DRS passes just looked completely ridiculous, that ain’t racing!

• Ady said on 12th June 2011, 22:27

Which ones? Mark was behind Michael for ages, Button was flying.

• Mike said on 12th June 2011, 22:55

Once the DRS became available it didn’t take very long at all for Mark and Button to pass Schumacher. He was a sitting duck.

• JimN (@jimn) said on 12th June 2011, 23:08

I agree, I enjoyed the race but it showed up all the reasons why I’m against DRS. It robbed us a of potentialy great fight between Schumacher, Webber and Button. Button’s victory was impressive, but would have been impossible without all the easy passes from DRS, and even at the end Massa got 6th purely because he could use DRS and Kobayashi couldn’t.

• hohum said on 13th June 2011, 2:05

wrong there, I was watching Massas’ wing on the replay just better drive out of the cnr. but I am not a fan of DRS for above stated reasons.

• xtophe (@xtophe) said on 12th June 2011, 23:24

DRS completely reshuffled the field and accelerated general trends in people’s racepace I think. I blame the second DRS activation, but I might be wrong. Let’s wait for Keith to roll out the numbers for us!

7. Alfie said on 12th June 2011, 22:24

A very close race, skill came into it a lot, the tyres less so than in other races, in my opinion. Very lucky for Jenson but I think he could’ve passed Vettel with DRS anyway. It’s a shame there wasn’t another lap, I’m pretty sure Schumi was 1.2s away coming into the detection point, and that extra lap probably would’ve ensured full use of that 20KPH DRS.

I was hoping for Kobayashi to pull off a special one for Peter Sauber but he just couldn’t get past Vettel, which was a shame, but he is just so quick. Really enjoyed this 4 hour spectacular, apart from the part where they weren’t racing..

Particularly loving Quick Nick’s parking skills.

8. Fil82 (@fil82) said on 12th June 2011, 22:26

That was an incredible come back for JB… 21st at the restart to 1st! amazing!

9. jossh24 (@jossh24) said on 12th June 2011, 22:28

Rule 40.7 of the FIA sporting regulations implies that all cars must “form up in line behind the safety car no more than ten car lengths apart” if i saw correctly, Vettel fell well over 10 car lengths behind the safety car 2 or 3 times when running away down the final straight, is he not due some time penalties???

10. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 12th June 2011, 22:30

What a mental race! Awesome from Button at the end, how on earth did he have that pace compared to the Bulls and Schumacher?! Incredible. I think RBR will need to ask some serious questions where their pace was when on the dry tyres.

Is this the race where Vettel’s luck runs out? There will only be further questions about his place at the top of the sport if he cracks under the first sign of pressure like today.

Hamilton must be absolutely kicking himself.

• Mike said on 12th June 2011, 22:58

cracks under the first sign of pressure like today.

He’s been under pressure for a lot of the weekend and as much as Vettel annoys me, this is the first big mistake he has made all year.

• Copersucar (@copersucar) said on 13th June 2011, 0:10

Of course Vettel had a lot more pace along the race. He got way ahead several times, only to lose the advantage because of the SC. JB would never have caught him without it. SV was being lucky this year, but not this time.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 13th June 2011, 1:33

Well, he was under pressure in Spain and Monaco, so I question your counting skills.

11. Eggry (@eggry) said on 12th June 2011, 22:31

I have many things to say as a Ferrari fan, but it’s just fantastic.

12. Gustav (@gustav) said on 12th June 2011, 22:31

Had Hamilton taken Alonso outlike that everybody would be crying for a penalty. I honestly feel for Hamilton, he is by far the best challenger against Vettel. Button did not stick to his racing line, just look where the dry line was at the end of the race, Button was way off that.

13. ferranmclaren said on 12th June 2011, 22:34

i always hated that evil german called schumacher but man EVEN I WAS SCREAMING for him come on schumi come on ,thats the mos special about the race for me ,even more special then buttons great win and the crashes and action

14. Ben said on 12th June 2011, 22:44

Correct me if I am wrong Keith… Although button did not start from the back of the grid, Am I right in thinking that this is the first time that anyone has won from that far back since John Watson from 22nd at Long Beach in 1983 in a Mclaren too.

15. Mole said on 12th June 2011, 22:45

The greatest sportsmen win on a bad day.
    That’s the single most important lesson I’ve learnt from sport. Vettel drives immaculate races, he really does, and that takes skill – however that’s what a computer can do, pick the most optimal path and take it.
    The human element to F1 is something we don’t see so much nowadays, but Button went through a great trial today. In football, this was akin to Manchester United winning 1-0 after being a man down to Bolton. It took grit, determination and experience for Button to win today. His tyres were older than Vettel’s, yet he was a huge amount faster per lap – the driver clearly making the difference.

I know Vettel may win the season rather easily, but this win today impresses me so much more than an easy championship. Congratulations Button, you may treat us fans rough with your qualifying results, but you make up for it with these breathtaking races!