Button hails “possibly my best win”

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Montreal, 2011

Jenson Button, McLaren, Montreal, 2011

Jenson Button called his dramatic last-lap victory in the Canadian Grand Prix “possibly my best win”.

Button said: “I really don’t know what to say. It’s been a very emotional three hours or however long it’s been since the start.

“The incident with Lewis, I couldn’t see anything when he was alongside me. I couldn’t see anything in my mirrors, it was one of those things, and I’ve apologised to him.

“And then it was really a fight. I got a drive-through for speeding behind the safety car I had to find my way through about three times.

“Eventually, on the last lap I was chasing down Seb, he ran a little bit wide onto the wet part of the circuit and I was able to take the opportunity and take the win.

“But for me, a fantastic race and I think even if I hadn’t won today I’d’ve enjoyed this race immensely. An amazing win and possibly my best”.

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® McLaren

54 comments on Button hails “possibly my best win”

1. Chippie said on 12th June 2011, 22:55

Wow – just wow.

• laird18 said on 13th June 2011, 0:06

Wow indeed. But is his “victory” not still provisional and dependent on a steward’s investigation?

For the record I don’t believe that Button deserves a penalty but let’s see…

Di Resta makes a move at the final chicane (“standard” overtaking position). His competitor moves over and there is contact. Di Resta causes no damage to his competitor’s car and gains no advantage (in fact he is greatly disadvantaged by a damaged wing), but is given a drive through penalty.

Button makes a speculative move at turn 3 (an almost impossible overtaking place). His competitor gives him space but Button can’t make the apex and there is contact. Button causes his competitor to spin out of the race, escapes damage himself, and in the process unfairly gaining a position, yet it seems will not be punished at all?

Elitism (or just cowardice) from the stewards?

• Skett said on 13th June 2011, 1:44

The problem with your statement is that turn 3 is an overtaking spot (even if it wasn’t, theres no rules about where you’re allowed to overtake), and Button was actually fully alongside on the turn in. Di resta’s made an elementary mistake. I agree it was harsh to give him a drive through for it though

• Dphect said on 13th June 2011, 9:52

If I remember right, Jensen got a flat tyre from that collision, didn’t he?

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th June 2011, 22:55

I tend to agree with him. Exactly how we want to see him. Gutsy, desicive and fast.

Hope we see more of that this year.

• Tom said on 12th June 2011, 23:46

Aye… 3 things we could do with seeing more often from him though!

• laird18 said on 13th June 2011, 1:08

Hmm… a great win? Or clumsy and lucky?

He was treading water for 80% of the race: took two of his competitors out; two punctures; drive-through for speeding.

He got away with this all of this only because safety car bunched up the pack towards the end.

In drying conditions he obviously had by far the fastest car and was able to use his DRS (i.e. slam-dunk button) to breeze past a few competitors. Woo?

It seems that Jenson’s “great” races always take place when Lewis is out of the race. If Lewis was still in the fight towards the end I think Jenson would have been overshadowed somewhat.

• Skett said on 13th June 2011, 1:46

Clumsy and lucky? Neither incident was his fault and its not that his car is best in drying conditions, its that he’s the best driver when its like that. Watch any race with changeable conditions and he always aces it.

As for the drive through, I find it a bit strange that you’re using that as an example of why he’s rubbish when Lewis (who you claimed would have eclipsed him) was under investigation for the same thing! (Which I also find strange, wouldn’t that have been at the start then when everyone was bunched up?)

• Shimks (@shimks) said on 13th June 2011, 3:16

Are you sure you’re a racing fan? I mean, yes, you’re entitled to your opinion, but what??

Button stopped more times than most other drives, got a drive-through and still managed to race from last to first and pressure the world champion into a mistake to take the win. He fended off his superb teammate, too, as a real racer should do.

Have you really no praise whatsoever?

I guess if that had been Lewis, you would have been hailing an amazing victory and applauding the stewards for not giving him a penalty for once?

• Patrickl said on 13th June 2011, 9:30

Completely agree laird18.

It’s funny how people are now praising Button for his mature and sensible driving. Hamilton should learn from him.

The reality is that Button had an incredibly poor race up until the last few laps.

He was just lucky the safety car made up for all his blunders. Besides, he was pretty much the last man standing (after he took out Hamilton and Alonso and Webber obviously seemed to be struggling without KERS)

Impressive last few laps though. Of course people only remember those and not the first 52.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th June 2011, 12:10

These races are the one that prove he’s a worthy world champion. He was awesome to watch.

3. What a race, great drive from Button!

4. Eggry (@eggry) said on 12th June 2011, 22:56

Possibly? For sure!!! I’m saying this as a Ferrari&Alonso fan!

5. josephrobert (@josephrobert) said on 12th June 2011, 22:58

one of the greatest wins of all time, prehaps the most dramtic for a long time

6. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 12th June 2011, 22:58

Really a nice drive from Button! It was nice to see him progress from 20th to 12th then up to 4th with the SC pits.
    I feel sorry for LH: it really was one of these moments… Seen from above, i don’t think JB did anything wrong, as with the Alonso incident really…
    He might well get a bit of a momentum with Monaco and now Canada.
    Nice to see Lewis cheer when he saw JB taking P1: his reaction really seems genuine.

• Ilanin said on 12th June 2011, 23:02

I’m sure his reaction was genuine. Whatever he felt towards Button at that moment, he would be delighted that Vettel would only pick up 18 rather than 25 points…

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 12th June 2011, 23:07

No, I think that Lewis was genuine, and because of what he and Button both said in a pre-season interview: “If the other guy wins, I’ll be thrilled for him – but gutted for me.”

That’s reasonable.

7. Ben Bailey said on 12th June 2011, 22:59

Epic race. Jenson was amazing and truly deserved his greatest win. A lesson for Lewis?
    If only he had tried to pass jenson on the left…
    Hope no further penalties dished out as everyone got what the deserved in the end.
    This is the greatest sport, with the most amazing story lines. You would not believe it in a film!

• Lee said on 12th June 2011, 23:10

A lesson for lewis? How? It was neither drivers fault for the collision and was simply one of those unfortunate things.

Fantastic drive from Button though and fully deserved.

• Ady said on 12th June 2011, 23:53

Patience my friend

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 13th June 2011, 8:03

Lewis needs to learn that not every gap is big enough, and that there isn’t only one door that opens up during a race. There will be more opportunities during a race, make sure you take the right ones.

• Patrickl said on 13th June 2011, 9:32

How do you know upfront that someone is going to turn into you?

Button made a pretty big mistake coming out of the chicane. So that was a fair opportunity for overtaking. How can Hamilton know that Button will put him in the wall?

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 13th June 2011, 10:52

Because he could see Jenson closing the door gradually, while Jenson had pretty much no knowledge that Hamilton was even behind him. Hamilton could see it coming, Button was clueless

• Patrickl said on 13th June 2011, 17:57

Still, how could Hamilton know that Button doesn’t use his mirrors?

• Ben Curly said on 13th June 2011, 10:54

It was a legitimate opportunity. Even stewards analysing the situation admitted that. How is it a lesson for Lewis?

8. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 12th June 2011, 23:00

Great sportsmanship to come out and say that about the incident with Hamilton, he would know that the media would be desperate to have any glimmer of a fall out to pounce on. Great drive.

9. James_mc (@james_mc) said on 12th June 2011, 23:00

I thought that the McLarens were unlucky to come together, especially as they could have been on for a 1-2 on this evidence. Vettel fairly slowed down towards the end though, but Jenson was on fire, he disappeared from Schu and Web

• Martin said on 12th June 2011, 23:32

I don’t understand why Vettel didn’t pick up the pace much sooner, as he clearly had a 1 or 2 seconds extra in him whilst they were stuck behind Schumacher. Jenson closed in knowing the track limits whereas Vettel hadn’t pushed himself or his car enough.

• Lee said on 12th June 2011, 23:56

I have a feeling that they have an engine mapping that they can switch to which gives them much more power but possibly at the expense of poor fuel economy. No proof but it seems strange that they can suddenly go much quicker and also have such amazing qualifying pace, while real race pace is not nearly as good. It also explains how Vettel appears to have such a quick car from safety car restarts.

• james_mc said on 13th June 2011, 0:23

Now you mention that, I suspect Vettel was in “cruise mode” to save his engine for future events and perhaps RBR failed to anticipate how quickly Button would catch/Vettel making a critical error.

10. dyslexicbunny (@dyslexicbunny) said on 12th June 2011, 23:00

Possibly? If he can’t name one better, then make it the best.

11. Jim said on 12th June 2011, 23:00

Amazing race!

Anyone know if button got the most overtakes ever in a GP? He came through the field a few times!

12. UnicornF1 (@unicornf1) said on 12th June 2011, 23:01

This was epic:
    “The curious race of Jenson Button”

13. F1andy83 said on 12th June 2011, 23:02

10 second penalty for button?

14. dlaird said on 12th June 2011, 23:05

Brilliant stuff from Button. When he has the car to win he is really great.
    So smoothe behind the wheel.

15. Mach1 said on 12th June 2011, 23:07

**** Me

Went from being annoyed, frustrated, angry, bored, excited and bored again to then being blown away by best race for a long time….

That was just…great….

• soulmonkey said on 12th June 2011, 23:32

I second this big time. As a Hamilton fan, This race hit a low point early one. However, it ended as possibly the greatest drive I’ve witnessed in my short career as a F1 fan (since 2007) . Just superb! I was jumping at the end. Just wow! I am ecstatic for Button, happy for Mclaren, flooded with a sea of “what if’s” for Hamilton…

That’s the kind of day it was.