Button hails “possibly my best win”

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Montreal, 2011

Jenson Button, McLaren, Montreal, 2011

Jenson Button called his dramatic last-lap victory in the Canadian Grand Prix “possibly my best win”.

Button said: “I really don’t know what to say. It’s been a very emotional three hours or however long it’s been since the start.

“The incident with Lewis, I couldn’t see anything when he was alongside me. I couldn’t see anything in my mirrors, it was one of those things, and I’ve apologised to him.

“And then it was really a fight. I got a drive-through for speeding behind the safety car I had to find my way through about three times.

“Eventually, on the last lap I was chasing down Seb, he ran a little bit wide onto the wet part of the circuit and I was able to take the opportunity and take the win.

“But for me, a fantastic race and I think even if I hadn’t won today I’d’ve enjoyed this race immensely. An amazing win and possibly my best”.

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® McLaren

54 comments on Button hails “possibly my best win”

1. Totally deserved. Well done Button!

2. @LewisHamilton  sorry about incident in Canada. I appreciate that Jenson is your team mate however, I hope that the stewards fine him for the car accidents. It should not be one rule for some and not all drivers. Otherwise I will conclude that there is more politics in F1 and most importantly McLaren camp.

Please be more observant about your camp! Us on the outside can see what’s going on!

3. Dan said on 12th June 2011, 23:12

makes me laugh really had it been hamilton that had hit alonso and took him out of the race everyone would be going crazy. Drive thru for lewis, stupid from lewis,
    Also if roles were reversed and it was lewis moving over on jenson and put him in wall, drive thru. (anyone remember monza 08 when hamilton passed glock then pushed him too grass, the pro drivers went nuts saying he dangerous)

Jenson does it racing indcident, its the double standards I have a problem with,

I dont think jenson should get a pen but I tell you, had it been Lewis would have been drive thru

• George (@george) said on 12th June 2011, 23:29

I think you’re probably right. The Alonso one is still under investigation, right? I’m worried…

• Patrickl said on 13th June 2011, 9:40

For some reason drivers like Button and Webber never seem to get a penalty.

It’s probably because they always act so friendly. Always smiling, always kidding. People just can’t imagine them doing anything wrong on purpose.

How many accidents has Webber caused over the last few seasons? I don’t think he ever got any penalty at all.

4. Commendatore (@commendatore) said on 12th June 2011, 23:53

Button must be penalised for his incident with Alonso. Maybe that way Schumacher will get his first podium since his comeback. :)

• Patrickl said on 13th June 2011, 9:41

Well he wasn’t penalised, but that’s a pretty unfair image. Button was almost completely alongside Alonso in the braking zone.

5. JUGNU (@jugnu) said on 13th June 2011, 1:58

Great drive by Button. Deserved that win and showed again that Mclaren is really the fatsest team on race day. But very sad for Hamilton. What if Button left little more room, it was Button’s fault really. We could have seen Lewis vs Button vs Vettel for the lead in the closing laps.

6. Cristian (@cristian) said on 13th June 2011, 13:02

I watched this race with a friend who didn’t think much of Button. In fact, he disliked him because of the fact that I cheer for him to much for his taste.(he likes more hamilton) But, when Vettel made that mistake, he shouted for him. It was his odd day, I guess, he was EVEN happy for Schumi!!!
    ANd nobody can say that a driver that recovers from 21st to 1st in 30 laps had a bad race, as some posted earlier. Between his many changes, he always recovered fast to 9th or 10th.
    I agree he had some luck too, but he put pressure on Vettel and he made his first important mistake of a perfect season.

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 13th June 2011, 13:24

He will certainly be remembered for that effort, probably just as much as his championship year! A great effort from him. Seeing him fly down the back straight with his DRS open was incredible, so much speed!