Rate the race: 2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Canadian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (3%)
  • 8 (10%)
  • 9 (32%)
  • 10 (49%)

Total Voters: 704

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2011 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

304 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Canadian Grand Prix

1. Antranik (@antranik) said on 12th June 2011, 22:23

10!

One of the best races Ive ever seen. MSC getting back into his form, Massa fighting for win, but then Button… definately one of the best wins ever…

2. LucaBadoerFan (@lucabadoerfan) said on 12th June 2011, 22:24

great comeback by button – although i had vettel down to win, it’s nice to see someone else win for a change. although i’m not, and have never been a fan of schumacher, i was somewhat disappointed that he didn’t make the podium. still, he apparently wants to stay at mercedes until 2014 now, so, he’ll get another chance. hard luck to di resta and heidfeld.

i loved the ‘photo finish’ of kobayashi and massa at the end. it’s a right shame de la rosa couldn’t score a point or two – it’d have been magnificent if he did. well done to liuzzi for keeping it on the road – i think that result will possibly mean hrt could beat virgin in the constructors championship for the second year running. nice work by the toro rosso boys.

3. sid_prasher (@) said on 12th June 2011, 22:24

Its almost 3 AM and i will need to leave for work in 3 hrs…but staying up was worth it…great race

great drive from Schumi and Button. I think the Schumi critics will stay quite for a while now which is good!
    I hope button is not penalized – i don’t like the decisions being taken after the race has been finished…

Tough luck for Ferrari – they had a great chance..
    Still a 10!

4. BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th June 2011, 22:25

I would like to vote a 10/10 for Button forcing Vettel into error.

So much action in a short period of time. Would have loved for Schu to make it onto the podium, but he was a serious contender for driver of the day anyhow.

And the FOM director did a great job of catching most of the action, having sensible replays etc.
    Awesome job by DC and MB for keeping the commentary going for over two hours without any action as well.

On the down side, the start under safetycar seemed a bit too much, and they could have defenitely called him in earlier. Especially after the restart it was some 3-4 laps overdue.

To make sure, i will now rather wait for the stewards to decide on penalties before voting. I hope they stay sensible, but it would not be the first race ruined by overzealous penalizing.

5. georges10099 (@georges10099) said on 12th June 2011, 22:26

great race,, gave it a 10 (even though, in my eyes, button took hamilton out but i suppose thats racing lol)

6. Ads21 (@ads21) said on 12th June 2011, 22:26

Am I the only one who was left feeling hollow at the end? The final lap was incredibly dramatic, the kind of excitement we watch F1 for. Button drove amazingly to force Vettel into a mistake and fully deserved the win, but for me the race was diminished by the passes with the DRS which made it all feel a too artificial.

Schumacher had done incredibly well to make it to 2nd and then was defending immaculately but was made a sitting duck by an ridiculously powerful gimmick, and then Kobayashi was passed on the final straight in similar fashion. I felt sick when Schumacher was passed as easily as he was. Once again by far the most dramatic and exciting moment of the race happened away from the DRS zone when Button forced Vettel into a mistake. This race has convinced with that we need to get rid of DRS.

• Ilanin said on 12th June 2011, 22:36

Without DRS, Button would have finished about 5th, probably. You can’t praise a situation created by DRS and damn DRS simultaneously.

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 12th June 2011, 23:17

I’d rather have had a genuine fight for 2nd, the passes on Schumacher left me feeling really cold, as did the pass on Kobayashi on the final straight. DRS would be acceptable if it were a push to pass with a limited number of uses during a race, and the person defending could use it as well. But atm it just leaves trying to fend off drivers with one hand tied behind his back.

7. Never thought I will ever stay till 12:30 AM Bahrain time to watch a Formula1 Race.

10/10

8. Evan said on 12th June 2011, 22:27

Overtakes throughout, more pitstops than you could shake a stick at, a pass for the lead on the final lap and clowns for marshals! What more could you want?

10/10

9. Androoos (@) said on 12th June 2011, 22:27

This is what F1 is all about. Epic. Wish I had gone this year!

10. Lee said on 12th June 2011, 22:27

Im going for comment of the day here…….

Wonder if the Red Bull Team will play a bit of Daft Punk “Human After All” as they pack the garage down tonight……

11. MrZevon said on 12th June 2011, 22:28

Poor lad, but without doubt the funniest moment of the year, hand down!

• Chimpyang said on 12th June 2011, 22:43

Reminds you how dangerous the marshal’s job is. The race could have ended in tragedy had Kobayashi came in as fast as Heidfeld did.]

Props to the support crew for the race, cleaning all that water off must have been back breaking.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 13th June 2011, 1:39

The two cars who came steaming in and narrowly avoided hitting the marshals seemed to be going much too fast considering it was under yellow.

12. Mark said on 12th June 2011, 22:28

fantastic!!!!
    Shumaher!!!!needs better car, obviously!!!!!!

13. Eggry (@eggry) said on 12th June 2011, 22:29

simply the best race of the season!

14. Harry said on 12th June 2011, 22:29

8/10.

I don’t mind the red flag at all, you can’t dock points for weather.

I think race control and the stewards tried their best to ruin this race and only the last 10 laps saved it from an absolute shambles.

Why start behind the SC? It wasn’t that wet!

Why start the race for a second time behind the SC, to then complete enough laps that they were tempted by the inters! Absolute madness! It doesn’t exactly dispel the idea that Vettel is being handed his results does it?

Also too many investigations. I would love to see how the stewards get on in those conditions.

Thankfully the drivers aren’t being perturbed by their incessant interfering and continue to go for it.

Great drive from Button, he’s not my favourite but i’ve still got a massive grin plastered across my face.

P.s I really really really hope not too much is made of the Lewis/ Jenson incident.

15. Fixy (@fixy) said on 12th June 2011, 22:29

10/10
    This is one of the races that remind me why I’m an F1 fanatic! The four hours until 11 pm for the race to end were well worth waiting! Jenson Button’s smile on the podium made my day.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 12th June 2011, 22:37

Of course I’d liked Schumacher, Massa and Kobayashi on the podium, but Button ending a 21-race win drought was wonderful and Massa beating Kobayashi by a few thousandths, even if I wanted Kobayashi to do well after Felipe had crashed, really lifted my moral.

16. paolo (@paolo) said on 12th June 2011, 22:30

How can it be a 10 (ie perfect) after the safety car start, and 2 hour delay. I gave it a 5 for a truly awful first half and a truly amazing second half

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 12th June 2011, 22:40

I gave it 10 because the two hour stoppage wasn’t part of the racing. Sure, it was boring to watch, but the timer was not running and it’s not counted as part of the race.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th June 2011, 23:43

Not to mention the TV crew doing a great job of keeping us entertained. And some nice interviews in the mean time as well.

• paolo (@paolo) said on 13th June 2011, 0:19

Fair enough. Can’t argue that the racing itself was brilliant.

Also agree about the TV commentary. I could actually just listen to DC and MB for hours! I watched a re-run of the 2010 race after quali and I had forgotten just how bad Legard was. MB and DC are miles better. Particularly impressed with DC who is coming across as very sharp and witty

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th June 2011, 11:13

The Italian commentator was talking about Kobayashi and Schumacher and said they had the same Renault engines in their respective cars, the Red Bull and the Renault! But I was so happy for the race that I just laughed.

17. jossh24 (@jossh24) said on 12th June 2011, 22:30

Rule 40.7 of the FIA sporting regulations implies that all cars must “form up in line behind the safety car no more than ten car lengths apart” if i saw correctly, Vettel fell well over 10 car lengths behind the safety car 2 or 3 times when running away down the final straight, is he not due some time penalties???

• Lee said on 12th June 2011, 22:38

when the lights go out on the safety car the race leader becomes the safety car and can back the pack up as he chooses.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

18. gisss said on 12th June 2011, 22:33

10/10 Button!! Schumi!! And Maylander!!:D
    I guess the one 1 voter is either a Vettel fan or a troll:D

19. Pingguest said on 12th June 2011, 22:33

2 – A good race, but DRS is artificial and makes the series a farce. And what about the Safety Car? C’mon!

20. bearforce1 said on 12th June 2011, 22:34