Vote for your Canadian GP driver of the weekend

Debates and polls

Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Montreal, 2011

Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Montreal, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Canadian Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Canadian Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Grand Prix weekend:

Jenson Button – Stunning pace at the end of the race and level-headed overtaking moves put him in a position to score a remarkable win.

Mark Webber – Fought back well from his early setback, but made hard work of overtaking Schumacher.

Michael Schumacher – His best race since his comeback, deserved a podium finish.

Jaime Alguersuari – Impressive comeback drive having started in the pits for the best result of his career.

Vitantonio Liuzzi – Single-handedly beat the Lotuses and Virgins to give HRT their highest finish.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Canadian Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Canadian Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (2%)
  • Mark Webber (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (2%)
  • Jenson Button (61%)
  • Fernando Alonso (0%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (28%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (1%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (1%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (2%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (1%)

Total Voters: 644

Loading ... Loading ...

Monaco Grand Prix result

Jenson Button was voted the best driver of the Monaco Grand Prix weekend:

1. Jenson Button – 33.1%
2. Fernando Alonso – 18.8%
3. Sebastian Vettel – 17.0%

Rate the Race: Canadian Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

181 comments on Vote for your Canadian GP driver of the weekend

1 2 3 6
  1. Lars said on 13th June 2011, 20:29

Jenson Button

2. Michael did well

3. BBT (@bbt) said on 13th June 2011, 20:35

Narain – 0 at this time, why of why, ;-)
    Hamilton – 1 ????

4. BBT (@bbt) said on 13th June 2011, 20:36

Between Button and MSC, Button for me.

5. TrueF1Grit (@truef1grit) said on 13th June 2011, 20:36

Didn’t know who to vote for, so i decided to go for Liuzzi, I didn’t see much of him but he beat the other new teams so he must have had a hell of a drive.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th June 2011, 20:51

I’d love to vote him, but how can I when Michael and Jenson have been so good? If he had finished in the points, I’d certainly have done it.

• TrueF1Grit (@truef1grit) said on 14th June 2011, 9:55

There’s no doubting Button and Schumacher drove incredible races, Michael was a little lucky with the lap he chose to put inters on and Button got everything out of the car.

To be honest I couldn’t care less if the Lotus’ were “broken”, Lizzui’s the one usually driving the broken car. Isn’t that just the same as saying “Button only won because of a mistaker from Vettel”? No, Liuzzi got everything out of his car this weekend, and although I didn’t see much of him on the TV, I think he deserves some recognition.

But I think despite everything, most of the field got everything out of their cars.

• zecks said on 13th June 2011, 22:07

I went for liuzzi as well. Although button was exciting and schumacher finally started to show the skills of old, liuzzi has always been pretty average. For him to beat a lotus was a HUGE achievement. A few races ago the HRT was so bad that it was being lapped by everyone.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 14th June 2011, 0:49

I was impressed that Liuzzi beat all the other “new teams,” but certainly not driver of the weekend for me.

6. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 13th June 2011, 20:37

Michael Schumacher. Gutted he didn’t get a podium, I think he would have finished second if it wasn’t for DRS. He defended extremely well but with Button and Webber in the DRS zones he didn’t have a chance.

Whilst Button drove a brilliant race he was part of two collisions which ended drivers races (not saying they were fully his fault) and he sped behind the safety car.

Schumacher, Button then Kobayashi.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 14th June 2011, 0:59

Yep. If we’re considering driver/car combos then I’d have given Button a thought, but for what he did in a car that’s clearly not on the pace, Schumacher impressed. He also outperformed his team mate by a convincing margin. Oh, wait. I guess Button did that as well, but I digress, Schumacher. I was really looking forward to seeing him in the press conference. Maybe there’ll be more chances after the off-throttle ban goes into effect.

• Damon (@damon) said on 14th June 2011, 9:22

Not at all.
          Hamilton outperformed him in the qualy, and had he finished the race, he would’ve be in front of Button as well (as he was when he retired).

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 14th June 2011, 23:13

It could be argued that by NOT having retirement-inducing contact, Button out-performed Hamilton. i.e. He knew when the time to be aggressive was and when not to. Or maybe he just got incredibly lucky that neither his contact with Hamilton nor his contact with Alonso resulted in his retirement.

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 13th June 2011, 20:50

Yes I think Tom has it right, Button was involved in a lot of incidents each of which had the potential to destroy his race. He was awesome at the end but I too voted for Schumi.

• Mostly agree. I couldn’t go with Kobayashi though because I wasn’t exactly inspired by his qualifying performance but he would be a great candidate for driver of the race. Absolutely agree with everything else though.

• Philonso (@philonso) said on 14th June 2011, 9:45

his race only fell into place as a result of the flag coming out when he hadn’t pitted so his position was not as a result of brilliant overtaking, and then lost many places… not DOTD IMHO

• Ral (@ral) said on 13th June 2011, 21:42

Yup, I agree with Tommy too. Button drove exceptionally well to make up for lost time in a surplus of pitstops, but at least half of them were at least partly of his own doing.

Schumacher wins it this time.

Also, I wish Kobayashi nothing but the best, but he made a couple too many errors in the race. Perhaps his equipment wasn’t quite up to the antics of some of the other drivers’, but he did seem to be slithering quite a lot. One of those moments cost Heidfeld a good points finish, another meant he got overtaken by Schumacher and Massa in virtually one move and yet another meant he didn’t quite make it to the line ahead of Massa.

• lightsout (@lightsout) said on 13th June 2011, 23:57

Ok, I’ll start by saying I do think DRS is a bit artificial but I do agree with its overall purpose.

Montreal is a track where it is possible to overtake. However even with DRS it took Webber many laps to get past. Whilst Button managed it much easier, he was faster still than Webber by all accounts.

It sucks when your driver gets passed (I can understand why the Schumacher fans would have liked to see him on the podium) but both cars behind him were faster anyway. The lack of overtaking in F1 is a problem (e.g. still at Barcelona) and if you can hold cars behind you who can lap 2-3 seconds faster than you at Canada then we have a problem to solve.

Put it another way, would Vettel have pushed so hard if it wasn’t for the threat of DRS?

The cars are too aerodynamically sensitive, so they need something to help the car behind as the car in front has the advantage by putting out all the dirty air.

• Gill (@gill) said on 14th June 2011, 8:24

Webber did not have KERS. MIchael had KERS hence his exploits by DRS were neutralized.

• Martin said on 14th June 2011, 12:24

Webber did have KERS, Christian Horner said so.

• juan fanger (@juan-fanger) said on 14th June 2011, 14:23

The video feeds showed Webber using KERS (maybe the cooler weather stopped it overheating?).

Another site suggested Webber had down-shifting problems throughout the race and explained this as the reason he was having so much trouble at the hairpin. If so then he drove a fantastic race, if not then just a very good one.

• Lord Stig (@lord-stig) said on 14th June 2011, 5:47

I would agree with you. MSC just could not hold onto the podium because of the DRS. Sometimes the DRS is great but sometimes it just makes things too easy.

• Greygamer said on 14th June 2011, 6:57

He got a penalty for speeding behind the safety car and suffered a puncture after the collision with Alonso. Both collisions were deemed racing accidents but he had the possibility of after race penalties hanging over him.
      Schmacher impressed but on the day was overshadowed by a driver who went from last to first in 30 laps.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 14th June 2011, 12:07

Although Button was the most impressive in the race, the fact Michael Schumacher showed he still has it (just) means he gets my vote.

Jenson was the driver of the day, but I’m happy for Schumacher in a different way.

7. OukilF1 (@oukilf1) said on 13th June 2011, 20:39

Oh dear.. who voted for Lewis “Hamilnator”!!? :D

• dyslexicbunny (@dyslexicbunny) said on 13th June 2011, 20:45

You didn’t think they were the best seven laps of the weekend? :-D

• I’ve started calling him Lewis Bam!lton :P Lewis was looking very quick before the crash with Jense so it was a real shame for him. I do think he should get the award for ‘most sporting driver of the weekend’ as if I was him and my team mate had won after taking me out of the race (albeit by accident) I’d be beating up him and his car… :P

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 14th June 2011, 12:08

I bet he wanted to, behind that unconvincing grin. ;)

• Mark said on 13th June 2011, 21:12

Yeah, I really don´t get that either, not that I am hater, but his race consisted of 7 laps, 4 of them spent behind a SC, in one he collided with Webber, then he has gone off-track while fighting Schumi, and finally in lap 7 he ended his race by colliding with Button…

As for Driver of the weekend…..its a though call this time, while Schumi drove really great and let us catch a glimpse of his old self, Button had a hell of a race, literally, after qualifying 7th, crashing twice, getting a drive-through for speeding under SC, he set an amazing race pace and won the race…fully deserved:)

• Nigelstash (@nigelstash) said on 13th June 2011, 22:39

Arguably Schumacher made a change of line and forced him off. Webber will never deviate from his line even when he is beaten – wasn’t it Singapore last season where he nipped back in on Hamilton in the same way? – Interestingly I think it was Massa who got taken into turn 1 later in the race in a move very similar to Hamilton’s move on Webber, but this time Massa left enough room.
        Better stewarding this race though – the racing incidents were largely called as racing incidents.

• Toro Stevo said on 14th June 2011, 3:28

Webber left almost as much room as Massa did. The car overtaking Massa didn’t drive straight towards the apex of 2 though.

• panache said on 13th June 2011, 21:23

You mean Lewis Ramilton?

8. Soooperpigdog (@soooperpigdog) said on 13th June 2011, 20:47

You had to ask?

9. Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 13th June 2011, 20:50

Schumacher. He clearly outperformed the car, he was fastest in the worst track conditions with the interm, his moves were great, but not just the overtakes, particularly his defenses and braking.

It’s a pity i can’t choose Button because i genuinely think there are no but and ifs this time: no way faster car like Branwn, absolutely no luck, unlike in his previous McLaren’s wins, and it’s the second time in a row that he’s the faster man on track, and in two very different circuits nonetheless.

But you just have to go for Schumi this time.

10. Leggacy (@leggacy) said on 13th June 2011, 21:00

no brainer really got to be JB! Kobayashi did a good job too, shame he couldn’t stay ahead on the restart.

11. Patrick said on 13th June 2011, 21:01

maybe it was lewis himself who voted…..that’s why there is only 1 :P

12. William Wilgus said on 13th June 2011, 21:02

Worst: Hamilton.

13. Felipe Bomeny (@portugoose) said on 13th June 2011, 21:03

ROBERT KUBICA

No, just kidding. It has to be Schumi!

14. I picked Schumacher. Noone was perfect this weekend. Jense’s last half of the race was magnificent but I didn’t vote Webber in China because it’s about the weekend and Mark’s Saturday had been abysmal so I’m sticking to the same principle. Jense was outqualified, was the cause of his team mate crashing out (I feel it was an accident and didn’t want a penalty) and was done for a very unButton mistake for speeding under the safety car. With all that in mine I couldn’t possibly pick him for driver of the weekend despite how delicious that latter part of the race was. He got out of his own mess in a glorious style but it was his own mess he was clearing up and as exciting as it was he gave himself a lot more work to do than needed.

Nods to: Vettel it’s a shame he made that mistake in practice and at the end of the race because he’d driven perfectly to stick it on pole and kept a calm head with all the interuptions but he finally cracked with Button, Massa for such an upturn in pace that he made me forget about Fernando Alonso during the race (and made him queue in the pitlane to add insult to injury to the double champ) but had a silly error that cost him the podium but then again I wish Narain had moved. I also think Paul mostly did a stunning job; he beat Adrian Sutil by half a second in qualifying at a track he doesn’t know and his race was going just fine until that mistake but I don’t think it was even that bad a mistake.

Thank you Mark for finally turning up this season too! 4th with no kers at that track not too bad at all :P

Results wise this was a nightmare race for me it reminded me of that wall in ‘Total Wipeout’ as the further I got through the race the more it felt like I was being punched in the face. Fernando slow and bad strategy, Massa crashing, Heidfeld and Paul in the wars, MSC passed because of DRS which drives me crazy and then Seb finally having a nervous breakdown after 69 laps.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 13th June 2011, 23:49

It’s an interesting point but I’d say this, two of Buttons crashes were 50/50. Particularly the Alonso one were Alo was just too stubborn to see that the place was gone, an part of Buttons pace came from his and his teams set up gamble.

• The stewards said
        Button had the inside (racing) line
        Button was ahead at the key point of going into the corner
        Button tried to avoid contact with Alonso by going onto the kerbs
        Alonso had cold tyres after having just pitted.

I saw the incident and the video on youtube and I concur with all of that. This coming together while I agree was a racing incident was not Button’s fault nor even 50/50.

• Which is why I didn’t mention the Alonso incident but referred to the Hamilton one.

• Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 14th June 2011, 13:04

I agree with Steph. Whilst Button had a blinding finish, and ordinarily would be on par for DOTD, he was undoing messes (mostly) of his own making. I thought Schuey did an awesome job, qualified well and then just blitzed it during the race. It was a shame he didn’t get on the podium, but I’m hoping to see a few more flashes of the Schuey of old as the season progresses.

15. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 13th June 2011, 21:08

Not that easy !
    Button, Schumacher, Webber, maybe even Kobayashi ?
    I think i won’t vote !

• Victorinox said on 13th June 2011, 22:33

I think Kamui deserved some votes… Keeping that Ferrari behind him for that many laps in the wet surely deserved to be at least mentioned in the candidates…

1 2 3 6