Vote for your Canadian GP driver of the weekend

Debates and polls

Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Montreal, 2011

Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Montreal, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Canadian Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Canadian Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Grand Prix weekend:

Jenson Button – Stunning pace at the end of the race and level-headed overtaking moves put him in a position to score a remarkable win.

Mark Webber – Fought back well from his early setback, but made hard work of overtaking Schumacher.

Michael Schumacher – His best race since his comeback, deserved a podium finish.

Jaime Alguersuari – Impressive comeback drive having started in the pits for the best result of his career.

Vitantonio Liuzzi – Single-handedly beat the Lotuses and Virgins to give HRT their highest finish.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Canadian Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Canadian Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (2%)
  • Mark Webber (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (2%)
  • Jenson Button (61%)
  • Fernando Alonso (0%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (28%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (1%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (1%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (2%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (1%)

Total Voters: 644

Loading ... Loading ...

Monaco Grand Prix result

Jenson Button was voted the best driver of the Monaco Grand Prix weekend:

1. Jenson Button – 33.1%
2. Fernando Alonso – 18.8%
3. Sebastian Vettel – 17.0%

Rate the Race: Canadian Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

181 comments on Vote for your Canadian GP driver of the weekend

1. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 13th June 2011, 21:11

Schumacher. Here we saw a demonstration of a seven times World Champion.

Now, I do have a somewhat related question about fuel: are teams allowed to remove fuel during the red flag? I would say yes, no brainer. But maybe I’m wrong and only the clever ones (like Schumacher/Brawn, and or Button??) did remove fuel?

Anyone knows this?

2. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 13th June 2011, 21:16

Michael Schumacher.

The clincher for me that this is driver of the weekend. Button messed up his lap by his own admission, whereas Schumacher was lower because of a car problem.

• Absolutely agree Icthyes. Button wasn’t the best throughout the entire weekend by far in my opinion.

It would be so easy if there was a ‘like’ button then I’d just click whatever you, Dan, Ads and/or Red Andy say which would result in far less typos from me :P

3. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 13th June 2011, 21:21

For me, clearly, Schumacher.

Yes, Button was brilliant. But no one expected Michael to be sooo on the pace this weekend. He got his car up to second and defended superbly even if the DRS guys had such a long run on him.

Button can be the driver of the race many times this year. For Schumacher, I think it was a one in a million opportunity this season!

4. sharmin. (@spartle) said on 13th June 2011, 21:30

Schumacher. I feel that Button is to blame for the incident between him and Lewis. Looked similar to Hungary with Schumi/Barrichello to me, but not as rash I guess. He did know that Lewis was there and forced him to the side. He did indeed run a superb race and it was fortunate that Seb finally (after 8 races!!) finally cracked. Hats off to Vettel. Hats of to Button for an amazing recovery but Schumacher was on it for me!

5. I’ll go for Jenson. Kudos to Jamie Alguersuari as well though. He had an embarrassing qualifying and really delivered under pressure here. And I agree that I was already looking forward to seeing Schumacher up there on the podium. I can’t really blame DRS though, given that had Button nailed Seb with it (if he hadn’t had the mistake) I probably would have been all for it.

Just one further comment and I know most of you will agree with this one: Just how ordinary is Adrian Sutil been made to look this year alongside Di Resta?

6. bisutommy79 (@bisutommy79) said on 13th June 2011, 21:53

Driver of the day
    Michael Schumacher
    Jenson Buton
    Bernd Mayländer for leading most of the GP laps(for the moment I thought he could win this :))

7. Sushi Meerkat (@sushi-meerkat) said on 13th June 2011, 21:56

Bernd Maylander of course, did you see how he pulled away from the pack at each safety car restart? they were caught napping.

8. lynnduffy (@lynnduffy) said on 13th June 2011, 21:58

JB by a street, but since he’ll win anyway, I’m voting for Schumi as I’d like to see him top 3 in something this weekend!

9. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 13th June 2011, 22:09

It’s such a shame that Button had such a brilliant race, I’d really want to give my vote to Schumi or any of the other drivers out there… But Button drove so superbly over the last 30 laps that I can’t justify giving my vote to anyone other than him… Let’s hope I have a reason to vote for Schumi next time though…

10. MattHT (@mattht) said on 13th June 2011, 22:11

Gone for Jenson myself. Schumacher was brilliant, and it pleased me no end to see him up there, but Jenson shone on a weekend where his team mate was a let down. Also, we’re all talking about Jenson because he won, and he did that because he put enough pressure on Vettel to make him make a mistake. A brilliant drive, and a win despite making mistakes, and battling through traffic, because as we’ve seen so far this season, it’s easy to win from the front.

11. George (@george) said on 13th June 2011, 22:13

Difficult choice, I’ve gone for Vettel because he monstered Webber yet again, drove a perfect race from the front including 4 safety car restarts, led all but two laps, unfortunately one of them was the final one.

Oh, and I didn’t think anyone else would (2 other people so far!)

Schumi and Button are equal second, and a mention for Petrov who managed to get a stealth 5th by staying out of trouble (cant believe I’m saying that about Petrov).

• Old_boy_racer (@old_boy_racer) said on 14th June 2011, 13:56

Vettel was second after Schumacher for me. If we add together all the lead gaps that were stolen from him by the caution periods he’d have won by half a lap. The SC didn’t do MSC any favours either though and he showed good race craft with a car that wasn’t as quick as those of the drivers around him.

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 13th June 2011, 22:20

Button. Has to be. He deserved what he got and finishing on the top spot just topped everything off nicely.

He was driving like a man possessed down the back straight with DRS. I was in awe at just how quickly he caught up towards the end of the straight, incredible pace. OK, any driver could have been in a similar position but the sheer ferocity of his attack is what made it.

Everything about his race went right. He did everything right.

Other mentions go to Kobayashi (mainly for pulling off that move against Massa) and Schumacher for being within a hairs breadth of a podium.

13. DriverOne said on 13th June 2011, 22:29

Clearly two people accidently hit the Hamilton button ;)

14. AndresM (@andresm) said on 13th June 2011, 22:46

Button was unbelievable, but I am going to give my vote to Jaime Algersuari

15. Steve P said on 13th June 2011, 23:00

There’s the famous F1 Fanatic anti-Webber jibe. “Fought back well, BUT…”