Vitantonio Liuzzi gave HRT their best finish of 13th to pass Virgin in the championship
|Narain Karthikeyan||Vitantonio Liuzzi|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’18.574 (+0.15)||1’18.424|
HRT drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Qualified ahead of Jerome d’Ambrosio and ran in front of the Virgin and Jarno Trulli in the first half of the race.
Made a bid to pass Timo Glock in the closing laps but was deemed to have cut the track and handed a time penalty which left him 17th and last of the running cars.
HRT brought an exhaust upgrade to this race plus a circuit-specific rear wing – the kind of improvements they had to do without last year.
Liuzzi used them to out-qualify both Virgins but was over a second and a half behind the Lotuses.
Colin Kolles said: “I think it has been proven that we have made a step forward, we qualified ahead of the Virgins and the gap with Lotus is smaller than in previous races and it could?óÔé¼Ôäóve been even smaller.
“Tonio was two tenths quicker than in his fastest lap when he spun on his last lap and I assume he could?óÔé¼Ôäóve been between two and four tenths quicker if he would have finished the lap”.
Liuzzi brought more cheer to the team in the race. He was 17th with 11 laps to go but passed the two Virgins and profited from two retirements to give the team a best-ever finish of 13th.
That moved them ahead of Virgin in the constructors’ championship. Lotus are ahead of them by dint of having two 13th-placed finishes.
2011 Canadian Grand Prix
- Technical review: 2011 Canadian Grand Prix
- 2011 Canadian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Canadian GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Button makes amends for collision with stunning win
- Red Bull: Vettel finally cracks under pressure
- Ferrari: Alonso rues ‘bad luck’ after retiring
- Mercedes: Schumacher misses out on podium
- Sauber: Kobayashi slips from second to seventh
- Renault: Heidfeld crash leaves Petrov fifth
- Williams: Barrichello in points, Maldonado crashes
Image ?é?® Motioncompany