2011 Canadian GP team review
Williams arrived at Canada with a large array of upgrades including a new front wing, brake ducts, barge boards and diffuser, as well as a special rear wing for the track.
|Rubens Barrichello||Pastor Maldonado|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’15.361 (+0.318)||1’15.043|
Williams drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Barrichello brought points home for the second race in a row but felt there was more on offer than ninth place:
“It should have been more but I lost a potential sixth or seventh place when I went off-line to avoid [Kamui] Kobayashi after the last safety car went in.
“He ran wide while overtaking a backmarker and rejoined the track without seeing that I was there. I was then forced off-line and lost a lot of positions”.
Another solid qualifying performance means Maldonado has now started in front of his team mate more often than not.
He made a mistake on lap seven which allowed Vitaly Petrov and Mark Webber past. He lost further time switching to intermediates and then back to wets within two laps before the race was suspended.
That left him 20th but he made up ground with a well-timed switch to intermediate tyres.
He passed his team mate and Nico Rosberg, only for Barrichello to come back past him again on lap 42.
Alguersuari passed him on lap 47, then made an error on the next lap which delayed the Williams driver and allowed Jenson Button a run at him to pass.
At the final restart Maldonado ran into the back of Rosberg, breaking his front wing. He pitted for a new wing but crashed on his out-lap.
2011 Canadian Grand Prix
- Technical review: 2011 Canadian Grand Prix
- 2011 Canadian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Canadian GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Button makes amends for collision with stunning win
- Red Bull: Vettel finally cracks under pressure
- Ferrari: Alonso rues ‘bad luck’ after retiring
- Mercedes: Schumacher misses out on podium
- Sauber: Kobayashi slips from second to seventh
- Renault: Heidfeld crash leaves Petrov fifth
- Williams: Barrichello in points, Maldonado crashes
Image © Williams/LAT