Kubica could return in Brazil, says manager

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Robert Kubica’s manager hints at a racing turn at Interlagos.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Brazil return possible for Kubica (ESPN)

Daniel Morelli: “The Italian GP is held in September, so it’s in just three months’ time, but we can think about the final race of the season.”

Red Bull seeks clarification on diffusers (Autosport)

Christian Horner: “”There are certain questions that we want to ask about the technical directive that we need clarification on.”

2012: Exhaust Blown Diffusers are banned (ScarbsF1)

“With the initial ban on how overrun engine mappings, Renault and Red Bull stand to lose out the most. With the full EBD ban in 2012, it is again these teams with the most to lose as each of these teams blow beneath the floor.”

‘Justice will be served’ for Bahrain doctors (The Today Programme)

“Today spoke to a British doctor on Monday who raised concerns about a group of doctors and nurses who are on trial in Bahrain charged with treating protesters. He alleged that the detainees had been psychologically and physically tortured. The Bahrain government’s Maysoon Sabkar responds to the claims.”

FOTA Fans Forum 2011 – Montreal – Part 2 (YouTube)

Tell the Austin City Council to Vote YES on Formula 1 (Change.org)

“This week the Austin City Council will begin the process of deciding if Austin will be the host community for the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix race.”

Understanding Parc Ferme (Force India)

Force India Sporting Director, Andy Stevenson: “In the old days on a Saturday we used to completely rebuild the cars with new engines, new radiators, new gearboxes, new uprights. We used to change everything. You would tend to build a car specifically for qualifying, with a qualifying engine, lightweight gearboxes, and radiators half normal size, so you were carrying less oil and less water. Costs were just spiralling.”

Team Lotus Confirms Williams F1 Wind Tunnel Deal (Lotus)

“Team Lotus has confirmed today that it is expanding its wind tunnel operations having confirmed a deal with Williams F1 to use one of the Grove based team’s two wind tunnels from September 2011.”

Silverstone owner slides to a loss after British Grand Prix doubts hurt ticket sales (Daily Telegraph)

“The British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC) moved from a ??1.3m net profit in 2009 to a ??1.9m loss in 2010 as sales for the Formula 1 race were affected by Silverstone securing the race only seven months before its scheduled date.”

McLaren team principal tells Lewis Hamilton to stay on the attack (The Guardian)

“I suspect I’m not the most impartial, I want Lewis to attack, and obviously I don’t want him to have contact with cars. But at the same time if he holds back for fear of having contact then he won’t be the great racer he is and do the job he has to do.”

Antiques Roadshow fans hit out at BBC after Formula One race rains on their parade (Daily Mail)

“More than 700 furious Antiques Roadshow fans complaining to the BBC after the hit-show was axed” (Thanks to Ben N for the tip).

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Almost four years on from ‘Spygate’, do we think of it as an outrageous piece of cheating, or a cynical piece of politics? Bigbadderboom argues for the latter:

Coughlan and Stepney were both scapegoats in a previously the previously “accepted” practice of acquiring opposition designs.

It was only timing and a bitter dispute between Mosley and Dennis which provided the mix and timing for the incident to be blown out of all proportion (in my opinion).

I say let it go now, Mike is a gifted engineer with a proven track record and may be just what Williams needs now. He carried the can for F1 with some dignity (he could have made things very messy) I for one am glad he?s back.
Bigbadderboom

From the forum

Following on from the Indianapolis 500 and Le Mans 24 Hours, what other events should we cover on F1 Fanatic Live?

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to David A, Mateuss and Vikas!

On this day in F1

Nigel Mansell won the Canadian Grand Prix from pole position on this day 25 years ago.

He moved to within two points of championship leader Alain Prost, who finished second.

Image ?? Julien Leroy / firstlap.be

96 comments on Kubica could return in Brazil, says manager

1. Gucha said on 15th June 2011, 0:07

Fast recovery to Robert!
    There were pictures of him published yesterday, he looks well for someone who almost lost his arm. There are visible scars, but all in all his arm is in good shape. I hope he fully regains his form.

• Damon (@damon) said on 15th June 2011, 8:50

Yup, his right hand isn’t very well yet – it’s swallen and Robert cannot move it:

He doesn’t look like being able to return to professional racing this year.

• Cristian (@cristian) said on 15th June 2011, 9:17

I think it will be a wonder if he returns at all, given the accident and the surgical intervention he’s been through. Anyway, better later than never.
        But I think he’s racing career it’s over. Another great talent lost.

• Rob said on 15th June 2011, 9:32

I’m going to wait until a medical professional who knows the situation personally gives their considered opinion before deciding whether he is going to race this year or whether his career is over, rather than his manager…

• teeb123 said on 15th June 2011, 12:43

I’m glad to hear that Robert’s recovering well.

I don’t understand the reason why they are wanting him to drive in the last few races, considering how well(?) Petrov and Heidfeld are doing. I think this would unsettle the team and Robert will become a liability in the track as he has not raced the car this year.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Kubica is one the best drivers of the current generation however, I feel Renault should keep their focus on Heidfeld and Petrov for the rest of the season, making sure they pick up the points for both the drivers’ and constructors chmps.

• Damon (@damon) said on 15th June 2011, 13:36

I don’t understand the reason why they are wanting him to drive in the last few races, considering how well (?) Petrov and Heidfeld are doing.

Well, I think they would want to answer the question whether Petrov’s and Heidfeld’s identical performances in qualifyings and races have been due to Petrov’s huge improvement from last year or Heidfeld not being as fast as he was expected before the season.

Heidfeld was known to be as fast as Kubica, so it’s very surprising he hasn’t dominated Petrov as Robert did last year.

Renault had huge expectations for the season before Robert’s accident, and so they will want to know how fast their car really is.

• Slr (@slr) said on 15th June 2011, 16:34

I highly doubt the gap between Kubica and Petrov would have remained the same. Petrov has improved, I doubt Kubica would be doing that much better than either Heidfeld or Petrov. Heidfeld and Petrov have both been pretty unlucky on a few occassions this year.

2. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 15th June 2011, 0:07

I’ve been terrible for the birthdays lately, so Happy Birthday!

1986 was such a great year ;-)

It would be great news if Kubica could be fit for Brazil, but I really wouldn’t want him to push it.

3. Kirk said on 15th June 2011, 0:08

I think it’s great news that Rob is on the mend and well enough to race this year, gotta get right back on that horse! The interesting question is where will he be in 2012, I think if he is well enough to race then he’ll be doing it at Ferrari.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 15th June 2011, 0:16

Maybe not though. He’s a bit of an unknown quantity until he gets back in a seat and races. Ferrari is not likely to take a risk on that. If he makes it to a Ferrari it won’t be before putting in another year at Renault to prove he’s still got it. And even then, I can’t imagine Ferrari signing a contract that would allow him to race rally, and I can’t imagine Kubica signing a contract that wouldn’t.

• Timi said on 15th June 2011, 0:59

It’s great he’s back on the mend. But note: all of this is from his agent, nothing from doctors or kubica himself.
        Agents are generally money seeking low-life’s. He’s just trying to get some interest in kubica and attempt at getting a deal signed.
        I personally think this season is an impossibilty. Once Robert is fully healed up (no-one knows when that will be). He’d have to undergo intensive fitness training to be able to train up for a GP again. His neck muscles will have weakened and also need to be worked on. Then there’s his reactions…
        All this would take a couple months. And this is assuming once he’s ‘fully healed’ he won’t have any pain or anything wrong with him when he resumes training…
        Oh and then we have to see if he’s as good a race car driver as he used to be.
        Very long road ahead with too many ifs and buts. Someone should tell his manager to hush

• joac21 (@joac21) said on 15th June 2011, 1:14

for a Ferrari seat?? of course he would sign

• lionel said on 15th June 2011, 8:36

he would NOT. like he did when massa was injuried, he did not sign. he is interested only in “fulltime” f1 racing.

4. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 15th June 2011, 0:12

The Scarbs article makes it sound like both teams and engine suppliers will have more work cut out for them to implement the longer exhausts for next year. Kind of defeats the cost cutting argument.

• F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 15th June 2011, 0:26

i doubt it. none of that is homologated, so i’m sure it’s re-worked several times a year anyway.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 15th June 2011, 0:31

But it’s a domino effect. The added length and heat will create a bunch of work for the engine suppliers, and the inconvenience in terms of packaging will cause teams to work more on shortcuts elsewhere. Just seems to me that it defeats the whole purpose of the ban especially with regards to the engine mappings. If Cosworth has already been having so much trouble, I can’t imagine they’ll be able to cope with this change as well as the other engine suppliers.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 15th June 2011, 1:56

It’s more the unrealistic levels of fuel the HBD require that have led to this move than the cost of development. With the RRA now in place what you spend your money on is a matter of choosing proportions rather than spunking billions on a tenth or two.

• Mike (@mike) said on 15th June 2011, 9:21

But they will go and spend money somewhere else if it wasn’t for this anyway. That’s the nature of F1.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 15th June 2011, 8:00

It does sound like a lot to do. On the other hand, they would have put in just about the same effort in improving for 1/1000th of a second anyway, I guess.

• bosyber said on 16th June 2011, 18:35

Well, I guess in that case at least Renault have done the work to have long secondary pipes already, so even if the EFF becomes a problem, it wasn’t entirely a wasted effort in that respect!

For the other teams that have the blowing at the back, near the rear wheels, they also are already having much longer exhausts than previous years (those top of sidepod exhausts were little more than a double bend, weren’t they?) so now it is less effort than it would have been two years ago I think.

5. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 15th June 2011, 0:12

Antiques Roadshow, duck a moth! Boring old farts!

6. chiv said on 15th June 2011, 0:19

“….. 700 furious Antiques Roadshow fans complaining to the BBC after the hit-show was axed.” That would be 100% of viewers then ?

• F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 15th June 2011, 0:28

nice :)

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 15th June 2011, 6:57

Tragic, isn’t it? Besides, the longer you leave an antique under wraps the more valueable it becomes ;)

• Lee said on 15th June 2011, 8:26

hahahah yes!

• bosyber said on 16th June 2011, 18:39

Must have been quite a shock to see prototype racing cars instead of antiques – good thing they weren’t racing full on for most of the time I guess!

As an aside, having regularly watched “cash in the attic” while studying (yeah, sorry), it’s not actually true antiques get better with (any extra) age: a lot of antique is fashion dependent and prices can vary from a few pounds to hundreds of pounds depending on how much of a fashion the object is at that moment. Guess that’s how people make money from it: buy at the right time, sell at the right time, and know what the going prices are.

• Rob said on 15th June 2011, 9:38

This is yet another in a long series of pointless articles the Daily Fail has been printing purely to attack the BBC. If the race coverage had been stopped to show Antiques Roadshow the story would be “BBC Wastes Millions”, because they didn’t show the race after having paid a lot of money for the rights.

It is like the ranting old fool complaining about everything new and moaning how things used to be better when everyone did what they told them to do. A bit like ‘The Horse Whisperer’ come to think of it…

• Pinball said on 15th June 2011, 9:39

I’m not just saying this because I am an F1 fan, but we get the UK Antiques Roadshow in Australia, and it has to be the most boring show that I have ever seen. Watching Formula 1 teams standing around in the rain is infinitely more interesting…

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 15th June 2011, 10:46

Here’s a comment on the article about Antique Roadshow. I guess there’s also a group of ARfanatics:

I remember my ex mother in law moaning bitterly when AR was postponed because the live release of Nelson Mandela was running behind schedule and AR was cancelled she was livid.

7. Tom said on 15th June 2011, 0:27

“In any case, when Robert gets in the simulator, he’ll immediately understand whether he’s able to come back, how and when, without the need of a stop-watch.”

Presumably, Kubica could get in a simulator now, even in his condition. Not sure I understand what being in the simulator is going to tell them about when he will be fit to come back.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 15th June 2011, 0:33

Yeah, if anything Perez in Montreal is proof that nothing can prepare a driver for actually getting in the car and subjecting the body to what they go through at those G forces.

• Ral said on 15th June 2011, 0:42

It will tell them if he still processes visual input as quickly as he used to though, surely one of the more important things. The physical strength he can work on.

The comments on that antiques roadshow article are hilarious to read.

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 15th June 2011, 1:48

… ‘Antiques Roadshow’ has fans? More than one?

9. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 15th June 2011, 3:05

Team Lotus will be using that wind tunnel for 2012 car development.

• bosyber said on 16th June 2011, 18:42

Sounds like a good idea for Team Lotus to have regular access to a tunnel, and for Williams to have their tunnel being used by a racing relevant organisation.

10. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 15th June 2011, 3:07

If that BBC would have stopped F1 there would have been millions to BBC then.

11. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 15th June 2011, 6:42

Hang on, if I understand that Scarbs article correctly, won’t there no be a risk of (terminal) exhaust damage if a following car bumps into the back of the car ahead of it under braking or at speed?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 15th June 2011, 8:06

would have to be a terrible bump though and bad luck.

If they do crash their nose into it, the nose will crush (made to do so absorbing engergy) and the front wing would also just break off.

• bosyber said on 16th June 2011, 18:43

I suppose they’ll have to make sure the crash structure is strong and tall enough, and the noses not too low …

12. Kimi will be in a Red Bull F1 car during a demonstration in Helsinki this July. Let the rumours begin.

• t3x (@t3x) said on 15th June 2011, 7:46

I never lost hope of Kimi coming back ! I hope this means something.

Can anyone translate this article?

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 15th June 2011, 8:09

I can’t see it myself but him joining RBR would be fantastic!

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 15th June 2011, 11:00

I put it through Google translate and it basically says he’s gonna drive the RedBull in a demo and then some more about the counsil agreeing with a temp circuit and blocking of traffic in some areas.

No quote from Kimi, like:

Before I sign with Red Bull, I want to have a feel for their car, so that’s why I’m doing this demo run

13. Maciek said on 15th June 2011, 8:03

these teams blow beneath the floor.

Why, I never!

14. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 15th June 2011, 8:06

The FIA have me baffled. I can live with off-throttle EBD being banned, but the entire current concept outlawed from 2012, why? Naturally the teams are going to want to exploit aero during an engine freeze so why stifle innovation? It’s always struck me as a fantastic idea.

At least I get to hear the front-blowing R31 with my own ears before the year is out.

15. graham228221 said on 15th June 2011, 8:53

Anyone see this interview with Nigel Mansell in the Evening Standard yesterday? I don’t know about everyone else, but it struck me as a bit rich of him to be saying “Oh, I’d beat anyone on the current grid” and “Drivers have too much help in the cars now”.

What car was it that won him his one title? Oh yeah, the one that was packed with driver aids.

• he was a great driver (and entertaining in the car) and probably would win against current drivers, dont forget he was racing Senna, Prost, Piquet all at their prime.

• mvi said on 15th June 2011, 11:33

“Oh, I’d beat anyone on the current grid”

Sounds like a normal racecar driver!

• Neusalz (@dpod) said on 15th June 2011, 15:32

Sounds just arrogant to me. You really dont want to make such a statement unless you actually do it, something I have learned in sports before. When he joined Williams he pretty much demanded an environment not unlike Schumacher’s in Ferrari.

I really doubt if he were 20 years younger he would better, these are much different cars that need a different driving style. Something he probably wouldnt be accustomed to.

• Tom said on 15th June 2011, 17:45

“We didn’t have all the technical whizzes that are on the car now, so we actually controlled the car far more than the drivers today.”

Has he forgotten everything about the car that he won the championship with?

• bosyber said on 16th June 2011, 18:50

Maybe it also had sufficient memory to keep him going during the race, but he isn’t in that car anymore?

It does sound quite arrogant, guess he’s not the only racing driver to say it, and yes, he was a very good driver up against a field of very good other drivers, but one can’t forget that he only got his WDC when they weren’t fighting him in a competitive car.

Could be he is implying that if he was in the Red Bull, he’d beat everyone too, just like Vettel is doing?

What he says about luck is true though, and he did have his share of bad luck to know it.