Bahrain Grand Prix officially dropped for 2011

2011 Bahrain Grand Prix

Bahrain International Circuit, 2004

Bahrain International Circuit, 2004

The FIA has confirmed the Bahrain Grand Prix will not take place in 2011.

The World Motor Sport Council voted yesterday to revert to the previous version of the 2011 F1 calendar.

This restores the Indian Grand Prix to its original date of October 30th in place of the Bahrain round.

The WMSC originally voted 12 days ago to give India’s slot to Bahrain. The teams wrote to the FIA objecting to the decision, citing logistical and describing an extension of the calendar to accommodate an Indian round as “unbearable” for their staff.

Here is the updated 2011 F1 calendar.

2011 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Tilke Gmbh

57 comments on Bahrain Grand Prix officially dropped for 2011

1. Ben N said on 15th June 2011, 23:21

Although I agree with the majority of people here in that the race should not have taken place and join in with the applause at the decision… the FIA have forgotten a crucial party in this mess.

The fans.

What about those poor people who bought tickets to the Indian GP – booked flights etc and then moved hell and high water to change their plans to the new date, only to have it rescheduled. This entire mess could, and should, have been avoided by just cancelling it altogether, it’s truly atrocious.

2. Yay I won’t have to completely overhaul my posters! :)

3. Ben said on 16th June 2011, 0:02

I see the Bahrain gp as just a ‘plaything’ for the crown prince of Bahrain and his mates. It costs so much to host a gp and that money can be put to better use to benefit the people of Bahrain. To me there doesn’t appear to be a passion for F1 out there, the people generally seem to have no interest in their grand prix.

As

4. Ben said on 16th June 2011, 0:56

I have never liked the Bahrain gp, its a dull track. To my memory in their 7 races since joining in 2004 have all be pretty much a dull procession. (Please correct me if I am wrong, I cant remember an exciting Bahrain gp) The best bit I remember was Raikkonen’s firey engine failure (although hard for a mclaren fan like me to admit!)and the Ralf Schumacher & Sato tussle at turn 2, both in 2004.

Fair play to Tilke, he tries, but Bahrain is a rubbish track design, this is F1, we need challenging tracks that produce good and exciting racing. The traditional circuits always produce exciting racing, Spa & Montreal for example.

I can think of a few circuits that would be better on the calendar.
    If I compare todays F1 calendar, to that of when
    I started watching F1 in the late 80s, it makes me sad because F1 has lost some great tracks and had them replaced with generally boring tracks in places where there is no real tradition of motorsport. I know the new places F1 is going can afford to pay more, but thats another can of worms for me. Heres where I go on a bit..( criticism welcome of my views of what i see as ‘great tracks’)

Rio has gone, but at least we have Interlagos.
    ‘Old’ & ‘new’ Imola. Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Mexico. Paul Ricard, then Magny Cours, both gone. Old Hockenheim. Jerez, Estoril, Adelaide, Austria A1 ring, old and new… I may even go as far as to say Phoenix and Detroit, as I do like a street circuit!

Bahrain won’t be missed by me if it doesnt return next year.

5. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 16th June 2011, 2:21

Thanks heaven for this.I don’t think it would have been a good move. I hope things calm down & they come back strong next year.

6. manatcna (@manatcna) said on 16th June 2011, 4:03

Bahrain Grand Prix officially dropped for 2011 ? — WOW, didn’t see that coming.

7. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 16th June 2011, 11:19

Awesome. Hopefully the casual viewer was oblivious to the amount of faffing that went about cancelling it. More importantly let’s hope Bahrain arrives at some sort of peace by the end of the year.

8. James Williams said on 16th June 2011, 13:32

So many websites reporting this.. stating something we already knew….

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 16th June 2011, 14:14

Of course it was highly likely that the race was going to be dropped after Bernie Ecclestone said he didn’t think it was going to happen.

But equally it’s important and newsworthy that the sport’s governing body has stated officially that it isn’t going to happen. After all, Ecclestone has changed his mind before (more on that here).