Vote for your driver of the European GP weekend

2011 European Grand Prix

Start, Valencia, 2011

Start, Valencia, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the European Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the European Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the European Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – Untroubled by the chasing pack, never looked like being beaten.

Fernando Alonso – His usual speed and consistency in the race allowed him to prise the leading Red Bulls apart.

Jaime Alguersuari – Has clearly turned a corner with the 2011 tyres, rising from 18th to eighth.

Adrian Sutil – Another driver who is thriving in the middle part of the season, in the points for the second time in three races after qualifying well.

Sergio Perez – A welcome return from injury, he almost scored a point with a well-executed one-stop strategy.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the European Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the European Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (28%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (3%)
  • Jenson Button (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (33%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (1%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (2%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (0%)
  • Sergio Perez (3%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (26%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (1%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (1%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)

Total Voters: 463

Loading ... Loading ...

Canadian Grand Prix result

Jenson Button was voted the best driver of the Canadian Grand Prix weekend.

1. Jenson Button – 61.0%
2. Michael Schumacher – 27.8%
3. Sebastian Vettel – 2.2%

Rate the Race: European Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

122 comments on Vote for your driver of the European GP weekend

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th June 2011, 19:43

I voted for Glock, he really had a try at outdoing his car again. And nice passing in the first lap. Also his lap record still stands!

But I would have given it to Vettel, if not for the fact he is getting the results that really count from his driving already. Amazing job again keeping the distance to 2.5 seconds for almost the complete race distance!

Alonso did his best Valencia race and really made it worthwhile for the fans who came to see him (Must have been just him, as they surely did not come to see a good race, did they?). Alguersuari did an amazing job as well, as did Perez.
    Sutil is quickly forgotten, but it was a good job to get into Q3 and finish even a bit higher up for him.

So in the end, thanks for the effort guys, shame about this track really.

• Copersucar (@copersucar) said on 27th June 2011, 20:07

My 2c: Say what you want but for me Valencia was a pretty good race. Without the customary Seb dominance we would have had quite a fight for the win. I gave it an 8, but could have been a nine without the momentary appearance of Ron Dennis, it totally ruined my lunch. I feel compelled to throw something hard and heavy to the screen each time that @#@#@##@@# shows up.

• dpod (@dpod) said on 27th June 2011, 20:15

Should have read your post before voting. I would have put Glock as my driver of the weekend, he deserves a much better seat especially when I see the Renaults doing poorly. I put Sutil, he was very consistent and did not put a foot wrong during the race.

2. bpacman (@bpacman) said on 27th June 2011, 21:10

As its driver of the weekend, I had to vote for Vettel – pole position, fastest lap and the race win. He really is making the most of that incredible car.

In terms of driver of the day, I think Alguersuari deserves it. Second time in two races that he’s come from 18th to finish 8th. The two-stop strategy he used was available to all of the drivers (I believe he went soft then medium?) yet he used it to leap-frog all but the Red Bulls, McLarens, Ferraris and Rosberg. Two excellent performances whilst under pressure from Ricciardo and you could see with all his fist-pumping in the car at the end how much it meant to him.

3. Nin13 (@) said on 27th June 2011, 21:33

I went for Jaime Alguersuari. Pressure was high on this guy to deliver in front of home crowd after bad qualifying and having been beaten by Buemi in many races this season. But he drove a good race on 2 stopper keeping tyre wear in check.
    Sebastian Vettel & Fernando Alonso also did good job but we know these guys can deliver, because they have been world champions. Plus they did not do anything spectacular, to be driver of the race. Okay Alonso beat Webber, but we all know what bad form Webber is in.

4. sharmin. (@spartle) said on 27th June 2011, 21:35

Having not won a single one of these this year, yet has won 6 out of 8 races, is it fair to say that Vettel is one of the least, if not the least, liked drivers in F1?

• Copersucar (@copersucar) said on 27th June 2011, 21:43

Might just win this time, it’s getting close

• dyslexicbunny (@dyslexicbunny) said on 27th June 2011, 21:58

No. I think it has to do with how dominant the equipment is. For the most part, I (and probably many other voters) am really not impressed with simply getting pole, having a good start, and winning the race. In my mind, you’re never really challenged past the start and you just need to bring the car in.

Look at the numbers on lead laps this season. While the answer is funny, the safety car is second in laps led. Next rainy race, I would like that to be an option, especially if it’s out for more than 15 laps.

To be completely honest, I don’t like Vettel at all and I swear when his name comes up among my friends. However, that has nothing to do with my voting – seriously. Since I vote at work, I pulled my votes so far this season. I think my selection is entirely fair for each weekend.

Petrov, Heidfeld, Webber, Alonso, Button (Vettel lost in a flip), Button, Schumi, and Vettel

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 27th June 2011, 22:35

I am really not impressed with simply getting pole, having a good start, and winning the race.

Isn’t that like a definition of the perfect F1 driver. What’s better than that, would you be impressed by Vettel if he qualified like Webber, got overtaken at the first corner and didn’t win the race. I always thought the concept of “racing” was universally understood!

• dyslexicbunny said on 27th June 2011, 23:15

Well sure – if I was involved in F1, it’d be great. What’s not to like about a guy that does it with ease? But I’m a spectator and want to see drivers and teams racing for something other than second. Because so far that’s all they’ve been doing, no matter how much they say they want it.

It doesn’t mean I have to be impressed. Besides, I never claimed my opinion was the opinion to have. He’ll get my vote easily for driver of the year if he keeps it up. But since I’m looking at each weekend individually, I often find someone more impressive most weekends.

I would contend the rest of the field is racing. Seb is on a Sunday drive and the fact he makes it look so easy diminishes the idea that he’s racing too.

• Jen said on 28th June 2011, 12:02

So dominant that the team has only once brought home a 1-2 finish? I’d say that out of his six wins this season, 3 of them were won under pressure and he didn’t put a foot wrong. That requires skill. It seems as though people are more impressed with those who put themselves in a lower position whether it’s qualifying low or making a mistake and then working their way up the field. It’s their fault they were in that position in the first place, well most of the time. The only mistake Vettel has made this season was in Canada and yet that’s apparently not good enough for him to be ‘the driver of the weekend’ after any race weekend? That suggests to me that people really do have something against him and are looking for excuses (not saying this is the case for you). I’d say it’s partly because he is thrashing his other competitors and partly because of the finger and his supposed ‘arrogance’.

5. For me it was close between Alonso and Vettel as both were flawless, but I voted Alonso because Seb had the race under control and was cruising, whereas Fernando pushed very hard until the very last stages and still made no error. IMHO, of course.

6. Ben N said on 27th June 2011, 22:08

In my eyes this is not difficult at all. Although Alonso and Alguersuari both had very good home races – this has to go to Vettel. What more does he need to do? Yes – he has the best car, but he’s not even being challenged by Webber.

If a team has the best car then the least you’d expect from the driver is to win most of the races, Vettel is doing this.

It may be dull and he may draw criticism from those growing bored of his dominance but for such a young lad he’s doing a truly incredible job. There have been 8 qualifying sessions and 8 races. 13 times out of 16 Vettel has topped the time sheet. He absolutely deserves driver of the race.

7. Deurmat said on 27th June 2011, 22:13

what about D’Ambrosio, completing the race without water and without fainting after the race.

8. taurus (@taurus) said on 27th June 2011, 22:21

Karthikeyan for being the first driver to finish 24th. Incredible achievement.

9. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 27th June 2011, 22:36

Driver of the weekend, well it has to be Vettel. Pole, win, fastest lap, done in very Prost-like fashion. Alonso meanwhile drove a good race but messed up his qualifying.

10. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 27th June 2011, 22:51

Alguesuari, simply for proving to everyone that it wasn’t a fluke in Canada…

11. domichalek said on 27th June 2011, 23:55

For me it’s obvious that Jaime, great job :)

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 28th June 2011, 0:07

Alguersuari gets my vote. He’s had a good couple of races so i’m hopeful it’s not a lucky streak!

I do like him and like the BBC said, he is still very, very young.

13. infy (@infy) said on 28th June 2011, 1:09

I voted for Alonso. He was way ahead of where he should have been. He drove beyond the cars capabilities.

14. dragon said on 28th June 2011, 1:33

I don’t think Webber is in particularly bad form. He’s just made to look bad at the moment by his teammate. If you talk of Hamilton and Alonso extracting the most from their cars, then what do you think Seb is doing? IMO the Ferrari’s RACE pace around Valencia was right up with the Bulls, hence the battle with Webber. Unless Mark is at the top of his game like he was in 2010, Alonso is a better driver, and the result reflects that; regardless of the gearbox issue, Webber was slower on the prime than the other front runners on the old soft, and lost out accordingly in the pits.

Anyway, the original point I was trying to make is that Vettel IS outdriving the car. He’s just doing it in such a dominant and controlled fashion that it’s hard to see anything but weekend cruises. He gets the vote, with honourable mentions to Jaime, Fernando and Timo.

15. sumedh said on 28th June 2011, 5:02

Is the unthinkable happening?
    Vettel is winning this poll after winning 6 races on the road!!

I have been voting for Vettel in these polls for a while. But on Sunday, Alonso was on a whole different level. He matched Webber and overtook him on-track – something we haven’t seen in Valencia.