2012 F1 season
Williams have announced two major new recruits in its technical department.
Jason Somerville has joined as head of aerodynamics and Mark Gillan has become the team’s chief operations engineer.
It follows the joint resignation of technical director Sam Michael and chief aerodynamicist Jon Tomlinson last month, which will take effect at the end of the year.
Somerville joins the team as of August 15th. Gillan will begin attending races from the next Grand Prix weekend, and start work for the team in October. They will develop the team’s 2012 car, the FW34, with new chief engineer Mike Coughlan.
Somerville is returning to Williams who he worked for between 1997 and 2002, contributing to the development of the FW23, FW24 and FW25 F1 cars as well as the BMW LMR V12 which won the Le Mans 24 Hours.
He moved to Toyota in 2003. Following their departure from F1 he joined Renault, where he worked on this year’s R31.
Gillan is another ex-Toyota employee – he was formerly their head of aerodynamics – who has also worked for McLaren, Jaguar and Red Bull.
Frank Williams said: “Williams F1 is looking forward to welcoming Jason and Mark to the team. They bring with them talent, experience and good team skills.
“We now feel that, together with Mike Coughlan, Jason and Mark can form the right technical leadership to take the team forward as we work our way back to the front of the grid.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Williams/LAT
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others