Post-2000 F1 cars at the 2011 Goodwood Festival of Speed

Goodwood Festival of Speed

The unusual front wing of the Arrows A22 is among the interesting sights in the contemporary F1 cars at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The tall front wing was swiftly banned after Arrows turned up with it at Monaco in 2001.

Several recent F1 cars are on show or going up the hill, including last year’s world championship-winning Red Bull RB6 and the Ferrari F10.

The two Renaults Fernando Alonso won championships with in 2005 and 2006 are present as static displays.

McLaren have their championship-winning MP4-23 and their less successful MP4-19 of 2004.

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Browse all Goodwood Festival of Speed articles

Images ?? F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use these images please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission

44 comments on Post-2000 F1 cars at the 2011 Goodwood Festival of Speed

1. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 3rd July 2011, 13:05

I’d forgotten about those stupid wings on the Arrows! They popped up all over the place on the cars, glad they banned them (I think one was caught by a tyre gun when leaving the pits).

And ugh, Brawn in a Mercedes livery.

• Martin Rasmussen (@floptickle) said on 3rd July 2011, 13:11

Yeah! I miss the Brawn livery :/

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 3rd July 2011, 14:06

I quote you

And ugh, Brawn in a Mercedes livery.

• Snow Donkey said on 4th July 2011, 4:49

You could say the same thing about the R29 in JPS livery. Personally I enjoy seeing past cars in different livery, despite realising it’s all about the sponsors.

It would be different if a past classic like the MP4 1 showed up painted in vodafone or if mercedes still choose to show the BGP 001 in whatever their livery happens to be in 10 years.

• Alfie said on 4th July 2011, 16:00

Yeah, they put an R27 in JPS livery and it’s on display at Heathrow Terminal 5 if anyone wants a looksies..

2. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 3rd July 2011, 13:10

How on earth could the drivers see with that wing there!

3. slr said on 3rd July 2011, 13:21

Glad to see Renault didn’t put their black and gold livery on the R25 or R26. I wish they would have left the car liveries the way they were when the cars were actually raced.

4. Douglas 62500 said on 3rd July 2011, 14:04

5. Douglas 62500 said on 3rd July 2011, 14:04

Actually what is the rule of the game ? Is there such a rule that more recent cars must wear the teams’ current livery and only older cars could be excluded ?? (ex: Renault R26 & R29 differences) ?

6. Fixy (@fixy) said on 3rd July 2011, 14:12

I guess the recent cars are still owned by the teams and therefore are adapted to the current livery, whilst older ones might have different owners and keep their original livery.

7. How many times has that Brawn been re-sprayed!? I hate it when they use the livery of the new car on the older cars it looks awful!!

8. GeeMac said on 3rd July 2011, 14:22

If you ignore that ridiculous wing, the A22 was a cracking looking car. Arrows had a real knack for making great looking cars in the mid 90’s and early naughties.

• DeadManWoking said on 3rd July 2011, 16:04

Naughties? or Noughties. I’m guessing you got pretty lucky in the last decade :)

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 3rd July 2011, 20:12

Mmm. If you ignore the awful reliability, and performance, the Arrows cars were great. Good to see Boullier has pushed his championship-winning technical director out to replace him with the genius behind Arrows, eh?

9. GeeMac said on 3rd July 2011, 14:25

Isn’t the F10 pictured in the right hand coloumn three from the bottom, the F60? The drooping nose makes me think it is.

10. Fixy (@fixy) said on 3rd July 2011, 14:27

Keith, there are two photos of the F60 there! You can see it from the central air intake.

11. Phil said on 3rd July 2011, 14:34

I find it ridiculous how Merc are trying to erase the Brawn car from history. Thats not a Mercedes ! Its a Brawn, in fact its a Honda with a Merc engine, and to have it in that livery is shameful.

12. Redxibi said on 3rd July 2011, 17:02

I used to love the Arrows livery when I was a kid, and still do! Orange is my favourite colour and they had Cartoon Network sponsorship, which, as a little child, was enough to win me over because I watched that channel nearly all day. I was about 6-7 years old then.

13. hohum said on 3rd July 2011, 18:08

I thought the Brawn oo1 was Jensons.

14. Nice to see that McLaren livery again. I can understand the tobacco advertising being erased (which does make the car look empty) but that was one of the nicer liveries of the past decade.

15. Gridlock said on 3rd July 2011, 18:43

Just back from Goodwood, and thanks for clearing up what that weird looking Merc GP car was! In my defence it was pre-coffee but didn’t occur to me they would vandalise a Brawn like that!

The current owner of the Arrows has a little camera mounted in there pointing back, so at least he gets an unusual shot from it :)