Top ten non-F1 cars at the Goodwood Festival

Goodwood Festival of Speed

It would be a waste to focus only on the F1 cars at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and overlook the hundreds of other fascinating machines on show.

So to round off this year’s coverage, here’s a collection of my favourite other cars (not including the huge collection of IndyCars) which appeared at this year’s Festival.

Mazda 787

Mazda 787, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Mazda 787, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Pictures can’t do justice to the peculiar wail of the rotary-engined Mazda 787. It won the Le Mans 24 Hours 20 years ago in the hands of F1 drivers Johnny Herbert, Volker Weidler and Bertrand Gachot.

McLaren MP4/12C GT3

McLaren MP4/12C GT3, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

McLaren MP4/12C GT3, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

I’m very pleased to see McLaren will be racing their new road car.

Lotus T125

Lotus T125, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Lotus T125, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

This one caused the commentators no end of trouble, as they persistently referred to it – incorrectly – as a Renault F1 car.

It is in fact a car built by Group Lotus last year to give customers the chance to experience an F1-style single seater, and painted in the colours of the Renault F1 team.

Here are pictures of Bruno Senna driving it.

Peugeot 405 T15 GR

Peugoet 405 T15 GR 'Pikes 'Peak', Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Peugoet 405 T15 GR 'Pikes 'Peak', Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

I like racing cars to have this degree of subtlety – i.e., none. This aggressive version of Peugeot’s 405 rally car was built for the Pikes Peak hillclimb in America.

Auto Union Type C

Auto Union Type C, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Auto Union Type C, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Another hillclimb special from another era. Auto Union adapted their Grand Prix car for hillclimbing purposes by sticking an extra pair of rear wheels at the back.

Toyota TS020 GT-One

Toyota TS020 GT-One, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Toyota TS020 GT-One, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Toyota’s striking Le Mans racer which came within a flat tyre of winning the race. There are rumours Toyota are considering a return to the 24 Hours using thier old F1 car factory in Cologne as a base.

Chaparral-Chevrolet 2J

Chaparral-Chevrolet 2J, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Chaparral-Chevrolet 2J, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get the picture I wanted of the back of this highly unusual car.

With ground effect skirts (several years before they were seen in F1), a snowmobile engine was used to drive a pair of fans which sucked the car to the ground.

Audi Sport Quattro S1 E2

Audi Sport Quattro S1 E2, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Audi Sport Quattro S1 E2, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

It’s no exaggeration to say Audi’s development of four-wheel-drive changed the face of rallying. This 1985 example of their Quattro added a double-clutch gearbox, boosting the car’s accelerative force as up-changes could be made without lifting the throttle.

A few years ago I was supposed to be driven up the Goodwood hill in this car. But I regretted urging the driver to give it plenty of stick when he gunned the engine on the line, dropped the clutch – and broke it.

Jaguar XJR12

Jaguar XJR12, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Jaguar XJR12, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

An iconic car of my youth resplendent in its glorious purple livery. Martin Brundle, John Nielsen and Price Cobb won Le Mans with it the year before the Mazda did.

Audi R18 TDi

Audi R18 TDi, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Audi R18 TDi, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2011

Goodwood maintain their tradition of bringing the latest Le Mans winner to the race. This R18 was the only one of three Audis to survive the race, the others being destroyed in gigantic crashes.

More non-F1 cars at the Goodwood Festival of Speed

More of my favourites below.

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Browse all Goodwood Festival of Speed articles

Images ?é?® F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use these images please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission

34 comments on Top ten non-F1 cars at the Goodwood Festival

1. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 4th July 2011, 9:58

So jealous Keith. I care little for anything other than F1 cars, but I’d have given an arm and a leg to be at Goodwood! :P Seriously, it must be the single greatest weekend for a motorsports fan each year. I promise myself I’ll get there one day.

Were there any other Le Mans prototypes there? I would’ve thought they’d have the Sauber Mercedes C9 there if they have the Silk Cut Jaguar. Also, the R18 TDi has grown on me significantly since its launch.

Fantastic coverage of the weekend Keith!

2. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 4th July 2011, 10:01

That Leaf Nismo is amazing!! :D

3. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 4th July 2011, 10:13

“I like racing cars to have this degree of subtlety – i.e., none. ”

That made my day, Keith. :D

4. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 4th July 2011, 10:29

So so so many beautiful cars… I’m gonna have to go to this next year!

The Mazda looks brillaint in that livery, and I bet the engine sounds very special. Great to see the Sumo Power Nissan GT1 too. Lve that car, and have been lucky enough to see it race twice so far.

As a Fiesta owner, I also like the Gymkhana version, even in the scary livery. Weird to think the car I drive looks like that when given a steriod injection.

Can’t wait to see the McLaren MP4/12C racing in GT3. When is it due to start competing? Next season?

5. Jim said on 4th July 2011, 10:38

A Porsche 917-30! Something funny just happened to all the hairs down my spine! One of these days I’ll get to Goodwood….

• S.J.M (@sjm) said on 4th July 2011, 21:00

ahh, its a beauty and the personification of a ‘Mad’ car. I wonder how many of the current or past drivers would have been brave enough to have done an aggresive (timed) hillclimb in that this weekend?

6. Burnout (@burnout) said on 4th July 2011, 10:42

I think the Rothmans Porsches have one of the most iconic liveries of all time. It actually makes blue and white look good!

Also, that Auto Union Type C looks kinda restrained considering what it’s capable of.

7. Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 4th July 2011, 10:47

my new screen saver slideshow has been chosen!

8. Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th July 2011, 10:57

My favourites are the two McLarens and the Audi R10. Brilliant!

9. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 4th July 2011, 11:11

That Toyota is exactly what I imagine Le Mans cars to be, lovely. I think I used to have a toy model of the XJR12!

Oh and MP4-12C > 458 Italia ;) Similar shape, but without that ugly face.

10. ivz (@ivz) said on 4th July 2011, 13:09

Do they make a DVD of the festival each year?

11. topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 4th July 2011, 13:20

Right, that’s it. I can’t take it any more… next year I am going to the FOS and that’s the end of it. The Porsche 917 and 962, the McF1 GTR, the Mazda 787 (a particular favourite – see Gareth Jones On Speed a few weeks back for the story of that one) and the Jag XJR12… amazing.

Incidentally the XJR12 has another F1 link – it was one of Ross Brawn’s first projects…

12. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 4th July 2011, 13:54

Alfa Romeo 155 Touring Car… phwooooaaar!

13. Will said on 4th July 2011, 16:22

The Jaguar XJR12 and the Porsche 956… Together, they are my classic old Le Mans scalextric track in the loft.

Its actually weird seeing them full size, I am so used to them being 1/32 scale!

14. MVEilenstein (@mveilenstein) said on 4th July 2011, 16:26

Keith: http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/vintage-1970-chaparral-sucker-car/

15. Andy said on 4th July 2011, 17:41

Sorry being a bit pedantic here but it’s a Mazda 787B not a 787.