Rubens Barrichello says F1 is “better than it has ever been” and praised Pirelli’s tyres for increasing overtaking.
Speaking to F1 Fanatic at an event organised by Williams sponsor Randstad, Barrichello said the new tyres had done more than the Drag Reduction System to increase passing.
Barrichello said: “All the overtaking taking place this year is more to do with the tyres than the actual DRS.
“I think the tyres having some issues on longevity it will end up with teams wearing the tyres more than some others. And that’s the overtaking opportunity. The DRS only comes into play because of the tyres.
“Having said that I still think it’s good for the show.”
Referring to his pass on Michael Schumacher at Monaco he said: “That pass was because he was having problems with his tyres and I was a little bit better.”
Barrichello believes that, on balance, the changes were good for F1: “I think we’re never going to be happy with all the stuff. I think Formula 1 is better than it has ever been.
“Of course there are going to be people who say ‘there’s too much overtaking now, it seems false’. But it’s the same guy who six months ago was saying “Formula 1 is no good any more because there’s no overtaking.
“There are too many gimmicks on there and too many buttons to press but I think it has made the racing better. It has made it more of a show.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image © F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use this image please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission