Lucas di Grassi becomes Pirelli’s official tyre tester

2011 F1 season

Lucas di Grassi, Pirelli, 2011

Lucas di Grassi, Pirelli, 2011

Lucas di Grassi will become Pirelli’s official tyre tester and do five further tyre tests for them throughout 2011.

The tyre manufacturer also announced Di Grassi will make the first of a series of appearances at Silverstone to contribute to technical briefings and share information on the tyres.

Di Grassi, who raced for Virgin last year, said: “Pirelli has done a fantastic job so far in a very short space of time and I?σΤιΌΤδσm looking forward to helping to make the P Zero tyres even better in the future: not just for the drivers and teams but for the spectators as well.

“This is a great opportunity for me to get more time behind the wheel of a Formula One car ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ which is difficult these days because of the current testing regulations ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ and also to use my knowledge to help make a real difference to the sport.”

2011 F1 season

Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

Image ?ι?® Pirelli

17 comments on Lucas di Grassi becomes Pirelli’s official tyre tester

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th July 2011, 10:16

DiGrassi was said to be a good test driver by both Renault and Virgin, so it has to be a good choise.

Will be interesting to see how this develops next year as well, with Pirelli asking the teams to come up with a solution to enable them to test the tyres on track with a more up to date car.

I hope Di Grassi will be back in the picture as a competative driver in the future. Last year did not really give him any real chance to show what he’s got.

2. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 6th July 2011, 10:31

To be selected by Renault shows he has got some talent, but I don’t know how much this will help him getting back into F1, because true he didn’t have the car to show what he’s got but D’Ambrosio has already showed himself a better driver this season.

• Eh? How is D’Ambrosio ebtter than Di Grassi?

• Eh? How is D’Ambrosio better than Di Grassi?

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 6th July 2011, 18:38

Exactly. Sometimes I think a rookie needs to produce at least one special drive to cement their place in Formula 1 (assuming they’re not a pay driver! :P) but Lucas didn’t impress anyone last year.

I don’t want to be too harsh considering the car he was driving, however.

• Felipe Bomeny (@portugoose) said on 7th July 2011, 0:38

I honestly think di Grassi is a far better driver than d’Ambrosio. Custard has a lot of cash; di Grassi doesn’t. I believe if Virgin kept di Grassi, they would be closer to Lotus and HRT wouldn’t be as close as they currently are.

3. Jim said on 6th July 2011, 12:36

It would be interesting to see the Pirelli car compete during FP1 at a few races. They could use it to test other tyres not being used at that race as well as those that are to allow comparisons.
    Plus it could be on track early on when most of the bigger teams don’t bother while they wait for the track to clean up/rubber in.

4. Zadak (@thezadak) said on 6th July 2011, 15:02

Is is just me or does pirelli go through alot of test drivers?

5. dave said on 6th July 2011, 20:38

Very exciting news! :D

6. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 7th July 2011, 3:11

I hope he do a good job but I still feel a experience test driver would have been a better option.