Wet start to British Grand Prix weekend

2011 British GP weather forecast

Start, Silverstone, 2008

Start, Silverstone, 2008

Teams will have to cope with a rain-hit practice session as the British Grand Prix weekend gets underway.

But forecasts say conditions will improve as the weekend progresses.

A low-pressure system to the wet of Britain is sending showers across the country.

A fresh band will head towards Northamptonshire early on Friday morning. Showers will return throughout the day to douse the track.

Stiff breezes are also likely at the exposed airfield circuit.

The rain will become less frequent as the weekend goes on. Temperatures should also climb above 20C.

But with the threat of showers hanging in the air, teams will need a pair of eyes glued to the weather radar images to gauge whether qualifying or the race will be affected.

The last wet British Grand Prix was in 2008, and won by Lewis Hamilton.

Silverstone weather radars

Location of Silverstone

View F1 race locations 2011 in a larger map

2011 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/GEPA

28 comments on Wet start to British Grand Prix weekend

1. dave said on 7th July 2011, 12:16

I do hope the cars are forced to run behind the safety car during any sessions that are even slightly damp.

• Trix (@) said on 7th July 2011, 12:25

I think I’ve seen enough of the safety car during the Canadian GP. I’m stocked up on images of the safety car train for at least until Spa…

• Torg said on 7th July 2011, 12:26

Well it saves them having to scrub wet weather tyres. Could be a cost cutting measure :)

Think Sunday wil be dry :(

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th July 2011, 21:46

Glad you are joking dave. That wish would otherwise be calling doom upon us!

2. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 7th July 2011, 12:51

The way the weather has been over the past few days here in Bedfordshire, I wouldn’t bet against there being a few short, sharp rainshowers at random points throughout qualifying and the race, even if they do predict sunshine.

3. King Six said on 7th July 2011, 13:03

Do you think it’ll mean anything to them?

What I’m trying to get at is, Formula One these days doesn’t run in the rain. But it’s the British GP, basically the home of F1. In a time where they need to keep the PR up and constantly talk about the “show”, will they refuse to run in damp conditions in front of the “home” crowd?

Surely it would be a massive nail in the coffin if they continue their new-found tradition?

I’ll be heading to the practice sessions, looks like it’ll be raining, I hope they do some running but I shouldn’t hold my breath. Nor should anyone else.

• Huron (@huron) said on 7th July 2011, 18:21

Yes, because of two unique cases, Korea 2010 (new track, extremely heavy rain) and Canada 2011 (new wet tyres, extremely heavy rain), Formula 1 no longer runs in the rain.

Yep.

• George (@george) said on 7th July 2011, 20:37

Not to mention the reason at both those tracks was visibility, we wouldn’t get that issue at Silverstone unless it was seriously wet.

Have they actually red flagged a practice session due to rain recently? I dont see any reason why they would, since the teams have the choice to go out or not anyway.

4. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 7th July 2011, 13:08

You should become a weather reporter with an article like that, Keith :P

5. topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 7th July 2011, 13:26

I’m hoping for a wet – or at least moist – race. Because frankly, Vettel’s going to walk it otherwise.

6. Fixy (@fixy) said on 7th July 2011, 14:17

Bad, I predicted 0 wet sessions for this race :(

7. David-A (@david-a) said on 7th July 2011, 14:46

Lewis Hamilton will be rubbing his hands together at the thought of a wet Silverstone!

Sebastian Vettel will be grateful that Coulthard isn’t here to push him into the gravel. :)

8. Quin10-10 said on 7th July 2011, 17:43

Just a thought here, what if qualifying happens to be in the wet but race day is dry? Will teams have to start on the wet tires? (those from Q3 anyway)

9. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 7th July 2011, 17:58

The weather forecast is basically the same as it was for Melbourne, which is slightly disappointing. I like wet races, but I like it when it only rains on the Sunday – because no-one is adequately prepared. When it’s wet all weekend (including the race) the Grand Prix tends not to be as chaotic as when it rains only on race day. And example is the 2008 Italian Grand Prix, which was very uneventful as far as I can remember.

Back to the point though, I wish they could reverse the progression from wet to dry and instead make it get progressively wetter over the weekend. But I’m sure the race will be just as exciting in the dry. I used to pray for wet races all of the time, but I haven’t done so since Melbourne this year now.

• George (@george) said on 7th July 2011, 20:41

We’ve been mostly having short showers this week, and with the breeze and heat it’s been drying up quite quickly. If we get one of those in the race it’ll be interesting regardless.

• Kremer (@kremer) said on 7th July 2011, 23:20

I’d much rather see a wet qualifying (not quite Canada ‘wet’), and then a dry race.

It would be very interesting to see what tyre strategy all the teams come up with when everyone’s dry tyre inventories are totally new, fresh and unused.

10. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th July 2011, 8:03

Beautifully put, Keith. With words like that you really ought to be presenting the weather!

Seriously though, it’s been tipping it down in West Yorkshire.

11. Steven (@modtl) said on 5th July 2012, 1:08

I’ve been following the Met Office and BBC Weather and all three days look like washouts to me. I just hope there is a brief respite as we pitch our tents on Friday around 10.30am and taking them down on Sunday at 10.00am. And of course I am hoping Fri and Sat evenings will be dry – nothing worse than a soggy BBQ.