Mark Webber set the fastest time as rain disrupted the first practice session at Silverstone.
Practice began on a damp but drying circuit. Michael Schumacher had headed the times for a significant portion of the session. Like several other drivers, he had a few off-track moments on the slippery surface.
First Webber, then Fernando Alonso took the fastest time off Schumacher.
The rain returned shortly afterwards. Kamui Kobayashi was one of few drivers to stay out an paid the price.
He ran wide at Club and lost control of the car as he returned to the track. The Sauber snapped away from him and crashed heavily.
The session continued under yellow flags while the car was recovered. Once the track was clear the lap times began improving quickly.
Webber posted a series of quick laps to head the final times with a 1’46.603.
But he hit trouble as the session ended, rolling to a halt in the Red Bull. Earlier in the session he had to cope with a dislodged head rest.
Problems at Red Bull weren’t confined to Webber’s car. Sebastian Vettel’s RB7 was seen emitting smoke in the pits.
Schumacher posted the second-fastest time just before the end of the session.
Rubens Barrichello took third for Williams ahead of Sergio Perez.
2011 British Grand Prix
- 2011 British Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your British Grand Prix driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Webber made a number two driver again
- Ferrari back on form after poor start to 2011
- McLaren: Fuel and pit errors add to problems
- Renault: Heidfeld salvages points from poor weekend
- Mercedes pass Renault in the championship
- Force India squander points chance
- Sauber: Perez claims best-ever result
- Toro Rosso: Alguersuari battles Buemi for point
Image ?é?® F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use this image please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission