2011 British Grand Prix championship points

7 Toro Rosso 17
8 Force India 12
9 Williams 4
10 Lotus 0
11 HRT 0
12 Virgin 0

Detailed breakdown of the championship standings so far: 2011 F1 statistics: Championship points

2011 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 British Grand Prix articles

46 comments on 2011 British Grand Prix championship points

1. RIISE (@riise) said on 10th July 2011, 14:47

92 points behind for Fernando. The gap is closing!!! =)

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 10th July 2011, 15:06

a little :P

• Guilherme (@the_philosopher) said on 10th July 2011, 15:09

Yeah, but Vettel’s lead is still growing :P

• Steph said on 10th July 2011, 15:45

This may be completely insane but I am not giving up hope.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 10th July 2011, 15:51

I’m sure you remember what Alonso said exactly 1 year ago. Maybe it’s not completely insane. Just much more insane than that! :D

• bobo said on 10th July 2011, 15:52

and why not? (May be a bit insane if your express the same thought at a bookies)

• Ella said on 11th July 2011, 8:06

I was about to post the same thing! At least I’m not alone. This race has really boosted my hopes. I have faith in them. I just won’t go around saying they can win it, people might fear for my sanity.

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 12th July 2011, 18:11

Okay let’s look at it properly.

And keep in mind, Red Bull id going to get some of its advantage back with the blown diffuser.

Twitchy-twisty Nurburgring – it seems to me like a Ferrari hunting ground. Alonso is set for a double if everything goes according to plan.

Hungaroring – come on, it’s like Monaco (but without the yachts and everything else, as Clive James would put it), Ferrari is thriving on tracks where traction and mechanical grip count.

Spa – well, without the blown diffuser, I’d say Alonso has a chance, but this is going to be Red Bulls I think.

Monza – Ferrari and McLaren is going to fight for maximum damage possible, just like last year. Victory is entirely possible.

Singapore – ~Monte-Carlo, ~Hungaroring, ~Montreal. Again, a double is possible.

Suzuka – this one favors Vettel.

Yeongam – big question marks, we couldn’t sort that track based on one quite unusual event. Same with…

Delhi – ?

Abu Dhabi – by character it is Monaco-esque, but Ferrari somehow failed to hook up a setup there up to now.

Interlagos – definite chances.

I’d say Alonso could have the momentum until Suzuka. Before Suzuka he has to evaluate things.

2. F1andy83 said on 10th July 2011, 14:51

Good call from red bull 2 and 3 is better than both crashing on each other.

3. Doance (@doance) said on 10th July 2011, 14:52

Good to see Webber 2nd.

4. Kimster said on 10th July 2011, 14:57

I wonder if HAM wil get a penalty (he should because Massa was in front and it was an avoidable accident), probably not because it’s the Britisch race with a Britisch driver and a Britisch steward ;):)

• bobo said on 10th July 2011, 15:01

I wondered the same thing after seeing the replay. In previous seasons that wouldn’t have been penalised methinks, should it be? I’m not 100% sure really… not if it was an accident, yes if it was intentional, but how do you determine that?

• Kimster said on 10th July 2011, 15:13

Massa was in front, Hamilton told BBC he knew he had no temp in frontbrakes, that means he can’t get it to stop in time to get to the apex.
        If i were Massa i would go straight to the stewards.

• And a British race director who’s in bed with Macca

• DaveW said on 10th July 2011, 19:12

It was not an “avoidable accident” because there was no accident. It’s called racing.

• There was an accidental bang so I guess it was an accident :P I think it was avoidable but there wasn’t much harm done. If I was Massa I’d have moaned to the stewards and tried to get an extra position and I do think Massa would have a point but he and Stefano seem to be very sporting about it so good for them.

5. Fixy (@fixy) said on 10th July 2011, 14:57

Team orders against Mark Webber: with the margin Vettel has, what would 3 points do? At least this order did not say to swap positions but to keep them, but Webber was faster and could have tried to overtake Vettel in the last chicane.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 10th July 2011, 15:08

It would be much more interesting if they had matched as Hamilton and Massa did.

• SamC said on 10th July 2011, 18:13

I would have thought in a way it would be better for Webber to score the extra 3 points and secure 2nd in the championship, nothing shows dominance like a WDC 1-2, and presumably the sponsors would be even happier

6. Eggry (@eggry) said on 10th July 2011, 15:10

I hope another 2006 and 2009 in later half of the season. This time Alonso!

7. Nick said on 10th July 2011, 15:10

Are team orders legal now ?

8. bobo said on 10th July 2011, 16:15

It is starting to look like Jaime is getting his season in order. In a post-race interview on Spanish TV he said that he was disappointed because he was 1 second faster than the cars in front, but that his DRS-assisted top speed wasn’t good enough. I don’t know if that’s ‘the right attitude’ from his employer’s perspective or if he’s blaming the tools. He did let Michael through after all.

Anyway, if he is able to keep it up he will be doing himself a big favour.

9. Johnny86 said on 10th July 2011, 16:19

LOL at the Mclaren boys. Fernando ahead despite having an inferior car for about 70% of the season.

10. Yoshitsune (@yobo01) said on 10th July 2011, 16:37

Great job by Jaime in these last three races. Now he is in front of his team mate, a Sauber, a Force India and the two Williams and only one point behind the other Force India. It’s quite good for a Toro Rosso driver to be up there.

11. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 10th July 2011, 17:19

If I remember correctly that result now means Vettel has increased his lead by 3 points?

You would think of Di Resta as having more than 2 points, especially after starting 6th today but I guess penalties don’t help his cause much.

Is that the first time that Heidfeld has been ahead of Petrov?

• slr said on 10th July 2011, 19:37

Heidfeld was ahead of Petrov before Canada, but his retirement in that race put Petrov ahead for a few races. If Heidfeld finished in Canada, he would probably be around 10 points ahead of Petrov.

12. BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th July 2011, 18:31

Thats just an obscene lead for Vettel there! He needed those extra 3 points just as bad as Schumacher needed the few points in Austria 2002. Not at all.

But I hope at least the races will stay interesting all year. This was a very nice one at it.

13. hey (@hey) said on 11th July 2011, 23:25

I just realised that with an 80 point lead with 10 races to go, Vettel could finish 2nd in every race and still win the Championship. It is technically out of everyone else’s hands now. And Vettel hasn’t finished lower than 2nd once yet. Bah!

14. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 12th July 2011, 15:22

The inner battle in McLaren is the best, with Button and Ham even. That shows how they both have the skills to be in the team. The other battle could be the Heidfeld – Petrov, although they normally lack consistency. I wonder what happened, I still remember Petrov on podium at the first race. And it wasn’t just plain luck. So mercedes is ahead now taking advantage of this lost of momentum by Renault