Rate the race: 2011 British Grand Prix

2011 British Grand Prix

What did you think of the British Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (5%)
  • 7 (18%)
  • 8 (41%)
  • 9 (23%)
  • 10 (10%)

Total Voters: 473

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2011 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

225 comments on Rate the race: 2011 British Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. DavidS (@davids) said on 10th July 2011, 14:34

10/10
    Absolutely brilliant finish

2/10 for the FOM Coverage
    0/10 for One HD’s timing of ad breaks at key moments

Wonder what the stewards will do.

• MattW said on 10th July 2011, 14:40

Yep – zero for OneHD.

Zero for “maintain the gap” message to Webber

9/10 for the race – 10 if one of the battles had’ve been for 1st

• Darren said on 10th July 2011, 14:48

I agree 0/10 for One HD ad timing, most exciting part of the race and I’m watching an ad for the Ab Swing pro.

• DavidS (@davids) said on 10th July 2011, 15:05

You were lucky you got the Ab Swing Pro. Being in a regional area, I get ads for businesses that are in Townsville. Yeah, I’m really going to travel 1400km for some fishing tackle.

• aliasj said on 10th July 2011, 15:46

lol in star sports, during F1 commercial break we used to get ads of the (race-in-progress) F1 television spot itself. :D

• bertie said on 14th July 2011, 14:30

I cant believe someone actually called a place townsville

• Mike said on 10th July 2011, 15:14

ONE HD did a great job, that was miles ahead of what they have delivered in the past. They had a post race show, short though it was, they commented on the comments on Red Bull’s facebook, they had diagrams before the race despite not quite understanding them and they even DELAYED the ad break so we DID get to see the key points.

• Toro Stevo said on 10th July 2011, 15:22

But despite delaying the break, they still cut to the ad break as Button was coming out of the pits, while racing for position with Webber. I could see Button slowing down, and Webber rounding the corner and they were still off to flog some crap show I don’t watch. I almost threw the remote at the tele, frustrating to say the least.

20 seconds more wouldn’t have been too much to ask.

• Mike (@mike) said on 10th July 2011, 15:46

Yeah, ok, it isn’t perfect. But they must have the ads, and it is inevitable that some tings will be missed.

To be honest, I think we missed more due to the race director than due to ONE HD.

• Toro Stevo said on 10th July 2011, 15:54

Ads are needed, and I could accept that – if half the ads weren’t for other shows on OneHD! Surely not needed.

I do appreciate however that the ads are only 2 minutes long, rather than the 3 min 45 secs they usually are on the main channels, and that they gave us more than they ever have before in terms of celebration and post-race and quali stuff.

But that one incident really annoyed me today. Why stay for the pit stop for position, if you don’t watch where he pops back into line? If you know there’s no lollies coming, you can’t be disappointed when it’s snatched from you. If it’s been dangled in front of you though…

• Mike said on 10th July 2011, 16:02

Yeah, true.

• Guilherme (@the_philosopher) said on 10th July 2011, 16:17

Seeing all this discussion about ad breaks, I think I should feel lucky that, despite the terrible commentary, we never had ad breaks here, at least not since I started watching in 1998. The only ad break we have is after the winning driver radio transmition, and it usually gets back by the time they reach the pit lane, and that still drives me crazy :P

• S.J.M (@sjm) said on 10th July 2011, 14:56

I thought that Red Bull said they would allow their drivers to fight each other? or did I imagine that one?

• ivz (@ivz) said on 10th July 2011, 15:20

Makes you wonder why Webber wants to stay with Red Bull. I mean sure, the car is good, but its clear the team have favoured Vettel since day one! Although he really doesn’t have any other options to drive a decent car.

• Very dismal coverage today. Some of the worst that we’ve had for a long time.

The ad breaks were all in the wrong spots. Terrible

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 10th July 2011, 16:34

Not a single ad break on BBC1 – I honestly wouldn’t switch to HD if it meant I had to view ads.

I’ll grab a torrent of the HD later when I watch it again (ads, if any, already taken out.)

• Alfie said on 10th July 2011, 16:38

I think OneHD refers to a channel in a country that is not the UK, pSynrg.

• Mach1 said on 10th July 2011, 20:08

yeh I was confused what people were on about at first “BBC One HD” had no ads and the picture quality is excellent -

• Halfcolours said on 11th July 2011, 7:12

Yeah, referring to ONE HD in Australia. The coverage is pretty ordinary, the ads were quite ill timed for this race and there seemed to be allot of them right at that crucial 2/3rds point of the race. I just wish they would buy the rights to the whole BBC coverage, pre-race and all.

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 10th July 2011, 23:58

I would kill to have only ad breaks to complain about. Living in the states I had to DVR FOX’s delayed coverage of the race, only for the recording to end with 15 laps to go! I was furious.

You guys can complain all you want about tv coverage but you have it miles better than we do in America. SPEED does a good job, but the 4 or 5 races FOX does a year are terrible.

2. FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 10th July 2011, 14:35

8/10
    Shame there wasn’t really a fight for 1st. Vettel’s pit mistake doesn’t count, does it?

3. Matty said on 10th July 2011, 14:36

Great Racing by Hamliton at the end there. Seven.

• Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 10th July 2011, 16:22

sad his car was 1.5secs slower than alonso’s per lap. it must really frustrating for him to come 4th from 10 when he couldve just easilt finished 2nd or so with a slightly better car.

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 11th July 2011, 0:01

It was a great effort, but sometimes I swear there is a magnet in Massa’s car that attracts Hamilton’s. I loved seeing them duke it out at the end, kind of reminds me of 08′ but it’s getting old seeing them make contact.

4. mrgrieves (@mrgrieves) said on 10th July 2011, 14:36

Brilliant Race 9/10, Equal with Canada!

The Re Bull cock up in the pits made this race otherwise we’d have another 1-2

5. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 10th July 2011, 14:36

8/10, good race, good battles.
    But a horrible job in the pits (from Sauber, Force India, Red Bull and McLaren).

Absolutly disgusted by the team order to Mark Webber!

• matt88 (@matt88) said on 10th July 2011, 14:39

what a shame that team order! i hope there will be as much public blame as the one Ferrari received last year in Germany…

• Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 10th July 2011, 14:43

I don’t think it will, because it wasn’t a team roder for the lead.

But it was totaly unfair because Mark was fast all the week-end

• Aris (@aris) said on 10th July 2011, 14:49

I agree 100%. One very good race with great battles. But I think it was a bit spoiled by the team mistakes. Kobayashi, Button, Vettel. Many, many mistakes today. Overall a rather good race.

• David BR said on 10th July 2011, 15:09

Not exactly unfair given Webber couldn’t stay in first off the start.

I thought the team order was sensible given it was the last lap, though maybe actually unnecessary. Webber wouldn’t have got past Vettel exzcept by hurling the car in similar fashion to Massa, which ended up in a collision.

• Mike said on 10th July 2011, 15:18

I will never accept a team order like that in Formula One. Ferrari have now been replaced as my team to hate on. Red Bull spent every opportunity possible saying how they would let their drivers fight, and what did they do?

Hypocrites.

• Antranik (@antranik) said on 10th July 2011, 15:22

I totally agree with you Mike, that is exactly how I feel. Utterly disgusted by RBR Team Orders….

• Toro Stevo said on 10th July 2011, 15:27

Horner apparently said after the race that he was worried about the two RBR drivers hitting each other, but I can’t say for sure – stupid ads.

But think about it this way. The team principal has so much faith in his two drivers that he doesn’t think they can battle for position without hitting each other. Not sure which driver, or both, that he has so little faith in, but it does raise a serious question as to trust between the driver(s) in question and Horner.

And there’s also the question of what the call would have been had the positions been reversed.

• David BR said on 10th July 2011, 15:32

Seems Webber ignored it anyhow, which will be interesting in terms of any FIA punishment. Does it still count if the dirver ignores the order? And did he, or is Webber saying that just to avoid any inquisition and fine?

• Mike (@mike) said on 10th July 2011, 15:35

@Toro I’m pretty sure that is just a cop out to try and avoid the same bashing from fans that Ferrari got. And just like Ferrari, I don’t believe it will work for a second.

• Lee said on 10th July 2011, 21:31

@David BR

why on earth would the FIA give RB a punishment? Team Orders are no longer against the rules.

• Lee said on 10th July 2011, 21:29

I am not sure as much blame will be directed at them due to the fact that Ferrari Cheated and Red Bull did not. However I am appalled by team orders and especially from a team that criticised Ferrari so much.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 10th July 2011, 14:52

8/10
      Many surprises all race long: Kobayashi’s, Vettel’s, Di Resta’s Button’s pit errors, Alonso, Hamilton and Webber very close for a long time, Hamilton’s slow end to the race and the fierce duel by the fast-lapping Massa.
      But the racing of Alonso ahead was wonderful but similar to Vettel’s during the initial races, and he was not challenged anymore. Good results by Rosberg and Perez, and also for Schumacher considering he made yet another mistake.
      Also, what has Di Resta got against his front wing? He always damages it.

• bosyber said on 10th July 2011, 15:12

I gave it a 9/10. I agree on the Alonso lead, but since it was someone else than Vettel (yes, maybe it should be only about the race in isolation, but still) I can live with it.

But that’s also because Alonso did have good fights to get into that position, and was giving a good chase before, so he didn’t lead from the start as Vettel has been apt to do. So I guess context does matter a bit.

6. austin said on 10th July 2011, 14:37

wow great race! The mclarens had soo much potential for podium had it not been bad luck.. The fuel level issue of hamilton was a gamble.. tho im sure the lower weight probably helped give him an edge though it just didnt work out.. I really hope he doesnt get penalized for that massa duel.

7. matt88 (@matt88) said on 10th July 2011, 14:37

10/10. Amazing race till the end, that Hamilton vs Massa final fight was insane!

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 10th July 2011, 14:54

I still can’t believe Massa passed on the outside, then he was on the inside but Lewis was wiser and took the inside line and when Massa was on the outside I knew it was over. A shame because Massa showed he was capable of doing laps as fast as Alonso’s, but did so only in the last laps when he knew Hamilton had problems.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 10th July 2011, 15:16

I think on the whole this was a good race for Massa, his pit stop issue wasn’t his fault; the only minus is he should have been able to defend from Vettel etc. a bit better after that set of pit stops.

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 11th July 2011, 0:03

I agree, it was a strong race for Massa, if he were up against any driver other than Hamilton at the end he would have snagged the place. Hamilton is the only one crazy enough to go for that pass and risk contact like that.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 11th July 2011, 10:03

The last couple of corner battle between Massa and Hamilton was awesome. Some great racing and wheel to chassis banging going on.

I was hoping Massa would make that move stick… as it would result in my second consecutive perfect prediction for the prediction championship, and I would be comfortably in the lead of the prediction championship. It was so close….. argh!

8. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 10th July 2011, 14:37

I’ve had to give that a 10. There was drama and action throughout. Wonderful stuff.

9. mrgrieves (@mrgrieves) said on 10th July 2011, 14:38

Wonder if Webber did listen to the orders. Didnt really look like it!

10. Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 10th July 2011, 14:38

7/10 eh, it was alright.. nothing fantastic though.. awesome finish! boring start

11. Raunaq Kumaran (@raunaq-kumaran) said on 10th July 2011, 14:38

6/10. Got boring in the middle of the race. RBR were just disgusting! end of the race was amazing!

12. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 10th July 2011, 14:39

7/10

Flashes of greatness, the rest was the usual enjoyable stuff.

13. Lachie (@lachie) said on 10th July 2011, 14:39

7/10

I know we’re not supposed to rate the result and I hate Ferrari as much as I hate Vettel but the race did get me away from the computer which is impressive as I was tempted to do a 5th lap finish myself.

Given we’re always reminded the radios are delayed do we have any idea when Webber was actually told not to pass Vettel?

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 10th July 2011, 14:45

Correct, Webber must have ignored RBR’s team order for some time: well done Webber!

• S.J.M (@sjm) said on 10th July 2011, 14:50

Webbers WDC charge has been ended this weekend. Has he signed a new contract before today.. and is it likley he will do after this? im not so sure.

Good race, best British GP since 2008 i reckon, if no Brit was on the podium. But Alonso should be thanking Lewis for holding up Vettel for so long that got him that lead.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 10th July 2011, 20:21

You mean Webber put on a show for a few laps, he was right on top of Vettel coming into the DRS zone and just put his nose alongside before backing off, had he wanted to he should have flown by like Alonso did to him.

14. David-A (@david-a) said on 10th July 2011, 14:39

Bloody thrilling! Very happy for Alonso winning for Ferrari, with another class drive. Vettel had a patchy day- passed Massa, couldn’t do it on Hamilton, then great defending from Webber. Plenty of action right to the final lap.

10/10

• David-A (@david-a) said on 10th July 2011, 14:41

Oh, and the FOM coverage was frustating. Cut away from Webber trying to pass Vettel, and from the Hamilton/Massa fight, though I understand that they never miss the winner crossing the line.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 10th July 2011, 14:52

To be fair, that was the absolute worst-case scenario for a TV director. They couldn’t win no matter what they did.

• S.J.M (@sjm) said on 10th July 2011, 15:17

yeah, for most of the races this season the director has been pretty naff, but its more excusable this afternoon with the final laps, although that he/she does still keep missing the good bits.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th July 2011, 18:27

I agree SJM, they had some nice camera angles (and that great cable car camera) and actually were pretty much on the track action all of the time.

Worst part were all the replays of the start, but not even showing Webber to see weather he had a KERS glitch.
            Choosing between Massa/Hamilton and Webber/Vettel was always going to be hard.

• aliasj said on 10th July 2011, 15:51

what happened to good old picture-in-picture? i think CNN international has one of the best examples of live multiangle coverage techniques.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 11th July 2011, 6:51

Yep, there was just too much action right at the end. No complaints here.

15. xtophe (@xtophe) said on 10th July 2011, 14:40

8/10 Some brilliant racing, let’s see how the EBD-saga pans out in the near future. It undoubtedly gave us some great racing though I think.

1 2 3 6