2011 British GP team review
Despite the rain-hit practice on Friday Sam Michael said Williams were still able to complete their evaluation of new diffusers, exhausts, engine settings and a new front wing. All the new parts were kept on the cars.
|Rubens Barrichello||Pastor Maldonado|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’33.119 (+0.531)||1’32.588|
Williams drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Barrichello was frustrated to miss Q3, saying: “I had traffic at the end of my first timed lap in Q2 which damaged my second timed lap as well.
“When a track like this is drying out you can lose everything so it?óÔé¼Ôäós very unfortunate that happened.”
Both cars started poorly, Barrichello dropping four places to 19th. The FW32s struggled for pace in the wet conditions, as Sam Michael explained:
“Our pace on the intermediate tyre wasn’t good enough today. Compared to some of the guys in the top ten, our lap times on the dry tyre were respectable, but we just lost too much time in the opening laps to be able to make up any ground.”
Barrichello made some progress via the pit stops to finish 13th.
Seventh in qualifying was his best result of the year so far. But he was down to tenth by the end of lap one.
Struggling on the intermediate tyres, he then was passed by Adrian Sutil, Nico Rosberg and Sergio Perez over the next five laps.
He picked up damage on his front wing endplate while battling with Kamui Kobayashi, Jaime Alguersuari and Sebastien Buemi on lap 19.
The team ran Maldonado to a three-stop strategy, which left him behind Barrichello, who stopped twice. There was just eight-tenths of a second between them at the line.
2011 British Grand Prix
- 2011 British Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your British Grand Prix driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Webber made a number two driver again
- Ferrari back on form after poor start to 2011
- McLaren: Fuel and pit errors add to problems
- Renault: Heidfeld salvages points from poor weekend
- Mercedes pass Renault in the championship
- Force India squander points chance
- Sauber: Perez claims best-ever result
- Toro Rosso: Alguersuari battles Buemi for point
Image ?é?® Williams/LAT
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others