Codemasters show off F1 2011 gameplay

F1 video

Here is footage of Codemasters’ forthcoming F1 2011 which was shown at last week’s preview event.

F1 2011 will be released for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on September 23rd:

Read the full F1 Fanatic preview of the new official F1 game here:

Buy / pre-order F1 2011 for Sony PlayStation 3
Buy / pre-order F1 2011 for Microsoft Xbox 360

F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.

101 comments on Codemasters show off F1 2011 gameplay

1 2 3
  1. I have a question about the 2011 game… Are the cars harder to drive than last year with all driving aids disabled?

The reason I ask is that last year’s game was too easy. I could drive out of a hairpin full throttle in the wet without aids which isn’t realistic at all.

So I want to know if the situation has improved?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th July 2011, 14:41

I covered that in the preview article which is linked to above.

But remember the game is still three months away from being released, so I’m not drawing any final conclusions about it yet.

• SirCoolbeans said on 11th July 2011, 14:44

Wowsa you must be good. I have never seen anyone manage that before. I know I couldn’t get anywhere near to achieving that in F1 2010. Are you sure you had all the driving aids off?

• Mike (@mike) said on 12th July 2011, 5:41

Yeah… It’s hard to take comments like that seriously… Full throttle in the wet? from a hairpin? riiiiight…..

• Coefficient said on 12th July 2011, 8:45

He probably hasn’t done that at all. I wonder what his on line ranking is. I’m in the top 5% in the world at that game and I can’t do what he says.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 12th July 2011, 10:22

Where do they have this ranking system?

• Sean said on 12th July 2011, 19:34

MG – in the Multiplayer menu (this is inside the game – I’m not aware that it shows anywhere else), one of the options is to look at the Global Leaderboard . There you can see your rank and number of race wins, and those of the people around you and the people you have friended in the game.

Since you accumulate points and rank by finishing races, rank per se isn’t necessarily an index of speed or skill as much as it is one of experience. But, needless to say, it’s rare that a rank 15 player is quick or consistent, and similarly rare that a rank 50 player is hopeless. So as a general credential it’s OK and someone who’s top 5% (at least upward of rank 45, I’d guess) will certainly know what corner exit traction conditions are, and will have done at least hundreds of online races.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th July 2011, 15:04

From what i saw earlier, they said it was going to be more responsive. Hard to tell if it will be easier or harder that way.

But quite a lot of people were not feeling it was to easy last year, so I guess a lot is up to personal feel and skill behind the wheel/controller.

• Sean said on 11th July 2011, 15:13

I’m sorry, Stephen, but that’s simply untrue.

There is simply no way you can apply full throttle in a hairpin (say, from close to the apex) in F1 2010 with all the aids off. Even in dry weather, out of a hairpin like L’Epingle at Montreal (2nd gear with typical gear ratios), or turn 4 at Hockenheim (1st gear), you will spin like a top even at 70% throttle unless the car is already nearly straight when you pick up the power – you see people doing this all the time in online racing (even though a lot of people are still using aids online). The F1 2010 forum and this blog keeps throwing this issue up – people who *think* they turned off the driver aids but clearly didn’t.

Did you dominate championships in Career mode (NOT Grand Prix mode) at full race distance and at Expert level? Did you dominate at online racing? What online rank did you reach? I raced karts successfully in all weathers over 10 years in 100cc and 125cc shifters, I have lapped the Nordschleife more than once in under 8 minutes (I mean the real one, not a sim or game), I did times in GPL which were at the top of online fastlap rankings for at least months, I have never used any kind of driver assist in a sim or game, and I have no problem with F1 2010 car Physics being “too easy”. Yes, you can recover a developing spin in an unrealistic way by tapping the brakes – an easy out for the unwary, but one that will still cost you a couple of seconds in a typical case – but when you have an F1 2010 car dancing on the edge, at least at a level where you’re matching the pace of the best rank 50 players online (yes, some rank 50 players are slow, I’m talking about the quick ones), or in a full-length dry Career race at Barcelona, there’s nothing remotely easy about it.

• Grace said on 11th July 2011, 15:43

Sean

He said driving OUT of a hairpin. Not driving the whole thing.

• Sean said on 11th July 2011, 16:49

And I’m only talking about driving OUT of a hairpin, Grace.

I’m talking about starting to pick up the throttle exactly where an F1 driver would normally pick it up: typically at or a bit after the apex. It’s easy to spin the car in this circumstance in F1 2010 if you’re not progressive with the throttle input, and a lot of people manage it.

In other cases, like turn 12 (4th gear) at Barcelona, the final 4th gear turn at Hungary, or the 4th gear exit of the Spoon Curve at Suzuka, even holding part throttle, say 60% or 70%, continuously after the apex, can cause you to lose the rear – even in much quicker turns than hairpins, and in dry weather. I was racing an otherwise consistent rank 50 player last night who did exactly this coming onto the pit straight at Budapest. You only need to follow a few online races to see that this is the case.

Aside from driver aids, another factor here is set-up. If you don’t develop your set-up, then I think in online racing you get a default setting of 6 on both front and rear wings, which leads to handling that’s something like a minivan. A quick set-up for a circuit like Spa might be front 6, rear 1, and you will move weight forward to make the front end more positive (and move brake bias to the rear, and adjust ride height, depending). On a higher downforce track you might run front 8, rear 2. So, it’s possible to have a set up where the rear of the car is more planted to the road in a range of conditions, but you will be painfully, magnificently slow. In any case, what I said above about coming out of hairpins is true regardless of set-up, if you actually have driver aids switched off.

If you look at the F1 2010 boards you will find this exact case played out again and again, where people think they have a different AI and/or aids set-up than they actually do.

• DMC said on 11th July 2011, 21:49

I think codemasters did a great job with the handleing especially transfering it to the pad. You felt like you could push and find the limit whereas previous games gave little feel.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th July 2011, 23:28

Very insightfull Sean with a bit of comparison to real life driving as well.

You really did several of those +/- 80 recorded laps below 8 minutes?

• Sean said on 12th July 2011, 9:03

BasCB – several years ago now, but I was lucky enough to have a bunch of track days over a 2 or 3 year period at Nordschleife with a Caterham R500 and and a Radical Prosport among others. So, I had the equipment for sub 8mins, which I only did twice (at least while being timed) and I’m not claiming to be something special – just that I know whereof what I speak when it comes to elementary throttle control! I also did 8m15s with a passenger in a TVR Cerbera (way heavier). The stints I’m actually proudest of were in streaming wet weather when a lot of people were hiding in the paddock – best afternoon ever, spent navigating the rivers. Similar deal at Spa, thanks to my brother who also brought along his ex-Walkinshaw carbonfibre bodied XJ220S with 680hp (Le Mans homologation from ’94) – that car was a complete riot but not the one I spent the most track time in.

F1 2010 is less exciting (!) but it’s a pretty good approximation of car behaviour and it’s fantastically less costly even if you don’t go off. At Spa one day I boiled the brake fluid in the TVR after 40 mins of continuous track time (had misjudged the amount of material on the front brakes) and went backwards into the gravel at Fagnes (back when it had a gravel trap and not tarmac on the outside). Narrowly missed another car turning in but this was not a cheap event and neither was the routine maintenance. Karting is a lot cheaper but F1 2010 is a steal at $50. I can’t say it’s realistic because I haven’t driven an F1 car, but it gets so slandered in these forums that I have to speak in its defense.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 14th July 2011, 22:01

Sounds really nice Sean. I had a friend in Uni who had his Golf II on the roof there (but he filmed it! Got him exited for a month).
            He then bought a 1983 BMW M3 of the homologation series. Actually first time on the Ring he damaged the front and cracked his wheel! That was really expensive already, so I can only imagine what those body panels would cost!

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 11th July 2011, 15:56

Wow, great skill on your part I have to admit. Even with a few aids on I spin like a top if I even think about clipping a kerb, never mind gunning it out of a hairpin in the wet.

• Icemangrins said on 11th July 2011, 21:41

GeeMac, I heard there is a significant difference between the driving wheel and the playstation controller.

• Coefficient said on 12th July 2011, 8:52

Ride Height could be part of the problem there. If you’re low slung, avoid the kerbs because the car will bottom out over the kerbs. Be warned though, increasing ride height reduces downforce so you will have to ratify the change (install lap) and then try to claw back some grip via other settings.

• zecks said on 11th July 2011, 16:42

Stephen are you mistaken? We are talking about F1 2011 not lotus esprit turbo challenge on the amiga

• Noelinho (@noelinho) said on 11th July 2011, 23:38

I wish I could do that… you’d struggle to do that with Traction Control on in my copy of the game!

2. Electrolite said on 11th July 2011, 14:43

It’s probably a bit early to pass judgement but from that preview the cars and the surroundings don’t seem to harmonize well, as if the cars are just plonked onto the road floating about.

The team radio seems to be a lot more like what we’re used to hearing on the telly though, which is good. in F1 2010 it seemed a bit scripted, and not quite to the point in my view.

3. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 11th July 2011, 14:45

Looks like the Force India pitcrew did better here than in reality. Which brings me to a question: Did they actually model unsafe releases as things that could happen in your pit stop? Or losing wheelnuts?

4. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th July 2011, 14:56

I’m disappointed there are no mid-race safety cars, accurate finger-raising animations for the drivers or mid-season rule changes that are decided by spinning a chocolate wheel. Codemasters have really dropped the ball on this one.

(Disclaimer: after last night’s race result, a part of my love for the sport died and it is currently being sustained by pure sarcasm. I should be okay in a week.)

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th July 2011, 15:21

If I take your posts with a (very big) pinch of salt, they make funny reading actually PM!

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 11th July 2011, 15:45

I’m not sure when you’re not being sustained by sarcasm.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 11th July 2011, 15:54

I think I agree with the article Keith just posted about Ferrari likely to be fast on merit, not on rule change alone. As I said before, they do seem to be on the up, probably fixed the problems with correlating CFD, wind tunnel and reality. So maybe you should dig a bit deeper for your love of the sport, and keep up hope.

At first I thought you were being ironic or something, it read like a very enjoyable post therefore.

• David BR said on 11th July 2011, 16:14

Having your race engineer badgering you with ‘maintain the gap,’ ‘turn your engine setting down, the driver behind is faster than you’ and ‘we forgot to fuel you’ would definitely add a touch of realism.

• graham228221 said on 11th July 2011, 21:11

Be interesting to see if they implement any sort of team orders in the game, maybe if you’re a second driver you’ll get told to back off – don’t do it and it’ll affect your reputation (negative with your current team, positive with most everyone else).

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th July 2011, 5:51

Only if you can respond with witty retorts.

• Speed Damon said on 13th July 2011, 8:14

Microphones would help here. So when engineer tells you to slow down or speed up you can reply with withering sarcasm and then promptly crash at the next corner because you were too busy arguing with him and couldn’t multitask because you’re a dude.

5. Nin13 (@) said on 11th July 2011, 15:05

Already pre ordered, good thing its cheaper than other games.

6. Good to see the video features a McLaren win!

7. Eggry (@eggry) said on 11th July 2011, 15:24

I’m disappointed by lack of SC, Formation lap. still I will buy it though. Just…

1) No more bug – especially pit stop trouble considering We should pit more than 2010!

2) Replay save/load – particularly in multiplayer game.

also I’m worried about DRS and KERS. I’m not good at many-key-required game!

8. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 11th July 2011, 15:29

All I’m going to say is: pause at exactly 1:00…

9. Lachie (@lachie) said on 11th July 2011, 15:43

Can’t say much for their attention to realism if they have Vettel 3rd on the grid.

10. Torg said on 11th July 2011, 15:43

Ive seen a video on youtube of a wet race around silverstone in the wet where the guy has no assists on. All i can say is that it looks A LOT harder to control than what it was in 2010. The bloke was spinning everywhere and not just out of slow corners. Even if the bloke was rubbish (he may be not) it was very evident that in the wet it was a whole new game.

11. Fixy (@fixy) said on 11th July 2011, 16:20

The smoke at the start – not realistic.
    The camera angles look even worse than those in F1 2010.
    To me it seems alll the drivers have the same face in the helmet!

12. BliNnk said on 11th July 2011, 16:24

They should have Kubica as a bonus driver to unlock or something

• kirk said on 11th July 2011, 16:47

Agreed, that’s a good few million of easy sales in Poland you’d have thought for a simple map inclusion!

13. Thierry said on 11th July 2011, 18:23

In the career mode will they put the player name on the car? In the 2010 it is still the original driver name on the car instead of mine.

• Nope, can’t modify the cards as part of the licencing agreement. This is also why in your second season your car number doesn’t change. (so Vettel will always have #1 even if he finished 24th in the previous championship).

14. Daniel said on 11th July 2011, 18:34

Will the AI have their laptimes effected by fuel load? unlike 2010? I’m 4 seconds slower with full fuel, AI can run the same times as empty lol.

15. sozavele (@formula-1) said on 11th July 2011, 18:51

Keith, please tell me DO THE TYRE WALLS COLLAPSE!!!!

1 2 3