Codemasters show off F1 2011 gameplay

F1 video

Here is footage of Codemasters’ forthcoming F1 2011 which was shown at last week’s preview event.

F1 2011 will be released for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on September 23rd:

Read the full F1 Fanatic preview of the new official F1 game here:

Buy / pre-order F1 2011 for Sony PlayStation 3
Buy / pre-order F1 2011 for Microsoft Xbox 360

F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.

101 comments on Codemasters show off F1 2011 gameplay

1. xtophe (@xtophe) said on 11th July 2011, 19:51

I’ll pass judgement on the game after seeing how they’ve dealt with AI-performance (fuel effect, tyre wear, pace in practice-qualifying), pitstop-releases, braking distances, grip in the wet, etc. These kind of videos got me all hyped up a year ago aswell, but until some mods came out I wasn’t really pleased with some crucial aspects of the game. If they’ve adressed those (considering modders have done so in F1 2010 it should be rather easy), I’ll see if it’s worth the hype.

2. infy (@infy) said on 11th July 2011, 19:59

Looking forward to downloading this on Torrents.

3. djh said on 11th July 2011, 20:05

I took F1 2010 back to the shop because it was awful, the developer lied about the way it worked. Qualifying was a completely pre-computed sham and the cars on the track didn’t reflect what times were being posted in qualifying.

The racing was horrendously buggy, I used to do the 20% races and sometimes some of the teams wouldn’t even bother pitting their cars so you’d end up with Karun Chandhok scoring 2nd place in a HRT.

I really hope they’ve fixed all these issues in the new game

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th July 2011, 20:40

Given that they fixed them all in a patch a week or two after the first game came out I’d say there’s a good chance…

• Subaru_600BHP said on 12th July 2011, 1:41

the handling in F1 2010 was so unresponsive no where near as realistic as proper sims but much better graphics, its like an arcade game with a bit of sim mixed in, but im staying clear becuase the codemasters game engine itself sucked and it wont be changed anytime soon. But im a sim junkie so its just was not for me, i stick to iRacing, its expensive but but worth it.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 11th July 2011, 22:20

It does look much ‘brighter’ than F1 2010…anyone else notice the kind of ‘dull’ filter on F1 2010? I thought it looked quite good graphically, but this game doesn’t appear to have it.

• Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 12th July 2011, 8:42

the sepia kind of effect? yeah, i hated it.. apparently everyone complained on the forums, and now it’s brighter! spamming works!

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 12th July 2011, 13:49

It wasn’t quite sepia but it certainly had some dark tone to it.

I didn’t mind it, not particularly realistic, but it looked good!

• bosyber said on 13th July 2011, 8:56

I didn’t play the game, but from noticed it in previews etc. Thought it was something like the effect of having a non-clear visor on the helmet filtering the way you saw the world around you. Don’t have any real opinion about it, but I thought that sort of imaginative :)

5. Noelinho (@noelinho) said on 11th July 2011, 23:53

I’m disappointed graphically by the game, but let’s see how the gameplay sorts itself out. Also, I hope they sort penalties out – so many times in F1 2010, a driver moves straight across me in a braking zone and a get a penalty. Cue unhappy Noelinho.

6. Tom M in Australia said on 11th July 2011, 23:54

Looking forward to seeing these cars converted to Grand Prix 4 soon after it comes out.

7. Geo said on 12th July 2011, 0:56

They ALWAYS seem to ship games that are not completed and have bits missing. Almost using us as Beta testers.

F1 2010 was a big disappointment for me, not realistic enough at all, especially concerning the damage!

I know you need to create a fun game, but F1 2010 was silly, you should have had more options to make it more realistic if you wanted.

You could smash head on into a concrete wall at 180mph, but its ok, you can limp back to the pits and have your car repaired because you’ve only damaged the wing a little bit.

Hopefully this years will be better, but I think I will wait until I can get it cheap pre-owed as Β£45 was a joke for last years unfinished point and shoot.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th July 2011, 6:40

<blockquote.I wish Codemasters had just concentrated on this years game and forgot about last years.
      The problem with that is that they’d have to build F1 2011 from the ground up. By making F1 2010 first, they have a foundation to build upon. They don’t have to do so much work building the basic structure of the game – they can spend more time refining it.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 12th July 2011, 13:51

Exactly. They were using a heavily modified ego engine which was always going to take a bit of fiddling with to get right for an F1 game. I thought F1 2010 was fantastic. Very much a game that you get out as much as you put in.

8. Geo said on 12th July 2011, 1:49

P.S:- I would love to see the guys at Turn10 who do Forza motorsport, one of the best driving games around do this game.

If they just used their own game and put F1 cards in it that would be perfect.

Obviously I know this can’t happen due to rights and contracts and so on, but surely whoever decided that a game for F1 would be produced could have found better makers than Codemasters, who I feel are out of date and lagging behind other developers. They should stick to low graphic puzzle games rather than this genre.

• The problem with that is that a sim-based game like Forza doesn’t appeal to as many people as a game like F1 2010. That’s the commercial reality, whether we like it or not.

• But codemasters have been making racing games for years. They put out the Micro Machines games in the early 90’s, and Micro Machines V3 on the PlayStation was brilliant. Then they moved into serious racers with the TOCA Touring Car series, which later became Race Driver, ending with GRiD a couple of years back. And that before you even think about the countless Colin McRae Rally and Dirt games. I think they’re more than qualified to make a game with a car or two in it. Remember that it takes many talented people many thousands of man-hours to make a video game, even a relatively simple one, especially with full next gem HD graphics. And at least they’re doing something with thir F1 licence, unlike Sony did…

9. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th July 2011, 6:37

Here’s a crazy idea: Codemasters should play on the role-playing aspects of the game. The experience system seems to be all the rage in racing games these days, but aside from unlocking new cars, it doesn’t seem to do much. I’d like to see a system where skill points are awarded with each level up and can be used to build an in-game character. This was toyed with in F1 2010 with the research and development aspects (I think), but it could be expanded to include so much more – like building up a relationship with your team-mate, or expanding your agent’s network of contacts.

10. Tjdn said on 12th July 2011, 9:37

I’m not impressed with what I’ve seen in the video so far. The graphics of the supposed new game in the video looks realy appalling in comparison to F12010, and the dynamics look realy slow. One major drawback for me in the current game is the sound of the F1 engine which is far by a long shot to the real thing in terms of smoothness and pitch. You hear a horrible ear aching sound whenever you hit the rev limiter and I had to use auto gear to minimise this. They should come up with a better physics in general.

• xtophe (@xtophe) said on 12th July 2011, 10:19

I went the other way around with the gearing. I find myself shortshifting a lot to avoid the annoying sound of the engine on the rev limit.

• JamieFranklinF1 said on 12th July 2011, 22:57

You do realise that this is not the finished product? So you probably shouldn’t criticise the physics, graphics and sounds before it’s polished up.

People really need to stop being so damn negative.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th July 2011, 23:08

Exactly, I couldn’t agree more. I am consistently surprised by the desperateness on the part of some people (by no means just this one commenter) to crucify Codemasters.

• Tjdn said on 13th July 2011, 12:19

You pay top dollar for this kind of game, so you should expect your money’s worth.

• Sean said on 13th July 2011, 15:03

Hmm. I was critical of the pre-patch state of F1 2010 but looking at these reactions, I can only say I’m glad I’m not trying to make a living out of writing racing games. Especially since (per the comment above) half the players will have pirated the thing anyway.

The teaser video looks excellent to me. Floating cars? So, I show my age but in my day, we started with Revs, where a ribbon of black in a sea of green wandered up and down in front of us, you could correct a slide with help from the spacebar and the idea of having pits or grandstands or even a tree was laughable. In GPL, which was and remains brilliant, the spectators were two dimensional and would disappear when viewed side-on. We paid money for that.

Now we have borderline tantrums that the graphics aren’t stunning enough, that the safety car isn’t there (if it was, we’d all be sick of it in a week anyway; it’s one of the worst things about modern racing) and that the “role playing” aspects should be stronger. Wow. Just wow. I’m just waiting for the complaint that the WDC has been won, the new contract signed but millions of dollars have still not shown up in the player’s bank account.

In one sense it’s heartening that consumers are demanding so much game and so much quality for their money – in a world in which I see people part with $50 for all kinds of cr@p. What does it cost to fuel your car these days, or buy a few beers? As I alluded to above, it ain’t real motorsport but since you can burn $10k with a single error in club level racing, track days can cost thousands and even karting can consume your life’s savings if you want to actually compete at a decent level, then hundreds of hours of on and online racing fun for $50 doesn’t seem exactly punitive to me.

11. James (@jamesf1) said on 12th July 2011, 23:36

Impressive first glimpses of this game. Seems fairly accurate too, with Kobayashi taking the rallying approach ;)

A lot of time for this game to be developed yet. People that are complaining about it, dont buy it, simples. Dont try and ruin what will be an enjoyable game for others because of your gripes with Codemasters (who I thought, for what it’s worth, did an excellent job on F12010 seeming it was their first F1 game on a 3rd gen consoles).

12. Butler_F1 said on 12th July 2011, 23:39

Is there any news on Mechanical failures, engine failures, gearbox etc being included this year, they weren’t last year?

I know some people will say having a mechanical failure isn’t any fun, but its an extra layer of realism, in older f1 games there was an option to turn these things off, it would be nice to have the option though.

Also last year you could switch over your engines from the 8 allocated, but not much happened if you over used one, slight loss of power, it would be nice if there was more strategy involved with choosing engines.

I remember last year i thought i had a mechanical failure (obviously impossible) when i couldn’t shift gear with my steering wheel, turned out my steering wheel was broke and the upshift paddel fell off. Xbox/Microsoft quality control right there!

• Tobitron said on 13th July 2011, 0:02

There are mechanical failures, yes. There’s actually a point in the reveal trailer where you see a virgin with springs coming out the back of it, and a few sparks, looks awesome. And you can lose a gear if you push the gearbox too hard.

13. wdf2 said on 12th July 2011, 23:45

Can’t wait. (Or rather, son can’t wait.)

I like “Now available for pre-order.” They could have said that about F1 2011 five years ago.

14. foocode said on 13th July 2011, 4:41

It looks great but I won’t be buying it. I played quite a lot of F12010, mostly for the online racing so I never drove a career mode past Valencia.

Formula 1 is crying out for a licensed sim. F1 fans are more interested in the racing and tech than that crash’n’bang so I’m sure there would be a market for one. Especially one with their fantastic weather modelling and gorgeous visuals.

I don’t think I’ll buy another Codie’s F1 title unless they make major change to the formula (heh)…

15. Yalnif said on 13th July 2011, 8:07

i can’t wait. i also loved F1 2010. i have plenty of real life racing experience too (albeit not in top end single seaters) and couldn’t give a monkeys, it’s A GAME and there will be lots of kids playing it which wont know any better. if you want realism get on a track or go to a simulator like Pure Tech Racing.