Lewis Hamilton said his victory in the German Grand Prix came as a surprise to him.
Speaking afterwards he said: “We never expected to come here this weekend and be so fast. We were looking good in that last race a little bit.
“The guys did a fantastic job, really pushing very hard, even the guys back in Brixworth [Mercedes-Benz] HPE have been pushing very, very hard. The engine was great.
“It was one of the best races I think I’ve ever done.”
He described some of the areas where the car has improved: “I think bit by bit, just learning more about how the car is behaving and with the driving I was able to learn to look after the tyres a little bit more.
“Those are certain areas where I was losing out to these guys. I was quickest in the first sector, quickest in the last sector but struggling in the middle sector so I was really improving my line in a lot of different places.
“Particularly turn three, the apex of turn three I’m sliding the tyres quite a lot, so later on I was able to recover from that and avoid the sliding. At turn eight, which is the fast chicane, I wasn’t able to take it flat out at the beginning of the race while these guys, well, Mark was, and he was catching me massively.
“I was really surprised again that my tyres lasted so long later on in the race.
“There’s still areas we need to improve on, particularly on heavier fuel for the beginning of the race. But this is a massive step forward and I really hope that we as a team can use this, propel us forward and keep the momentum going.”
2011 German Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 German Grand Prix
- 2011 German Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your German GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Surprise win in Germany for Hamilton
- Red Bull: McLaren and Ferrari ahead in Germany
- Ferrari: Alonso beats Red Bulls despite cool weather
- Mercedes: Three-stopper costs Rosberg a place
- Force India: Sutil helps team overtake Toro Rosso
- Renault: Petrov dissatisfied with strategy
- Sauber: Kobayashi out in Q1 but claims points
Image ?é?® McLaren