Rate the race: 2011 German Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the German Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 German Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (12%)
  • 8 (31%)
  • 9 (35%)
  • 10 (18%)

Total Voters: 542

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?? Renault/LAT

199 comments on Rate the race: 2011 German Grand Prix

1. leotef (@leotef) said on 24th July 2011, 15:35

2nd half was not as exciting as the 1st half but it was fun to watching the battles in the top 3. Hammy returning to his mojo – quick retake of lead from MW after being overtaken, nice move outside at turn 3 leaving Alonso behind again… and abundant spin outs and midfield actions…

2. Keamo said on 24th July 2011, 15:38

I give it a 10. Perfect race and thrilling win from Lewis

3. huwlewis (@huwlewis) said on 24th July 2011, 15:40

10/10
    No matter what you think of Hamilton, he always brings the element of excitement to F1..a true racer and Vettel proved he is only good from the front! Excellent Grand Prix

4. Hitman Contract (@hitman-contract) said on 24th July 2011, 15:42

1, and is one point too many. With hard Bridgestones and no tyre rule change we could have seen some racing.

5. Martin said on 24th July 2011, 15:48

Hmmm, Brundle just wondered whether Rosberg can win a race without the fastest car, “we know Hamilton can, Alonso can, VETTEL can” – really?

• David BR said on 24th July 2011, 16:02

In wet conditions and the right circumstances, maybe Vettel could win a slower car. Otherwise, no.

• AlexT (@alext) said on 24th July 2011, 16:20

monza 2008 springs into my mind

• David-A (@david-a) said on 24th July 2011, 20:34

Spain (Mclaren) and Monaco (Mclaren and Ferrari) 2011. On race day the cars in brackets were as fast, if not faster.

• David BR said on 24th July 2011, 21:13

The rivals weren’t faster in the race and were certainly slower in quali. At Spain Vettel got past – guess what – via the pits, and at Monaco (a) it’s Monaco, where he led from the off, and (b) we were deprived of seeing Alonso or Button challenging Vettel because of the fresh tyres at the end.

Some real proof is needed. But the way things are going, Vettel will have his chance to prove he can use an at least equal car to get past his equally paced rivals on track.

6. Win7Golf (@win7golf) said on 24th July 2011, 15:54

Long Live The King !!! Hamilton & McLaren all the way !!!

7. taurus (@taurus) said on 24th July 2011, 15:56

8/10. Great race. Lets never go to the new Hockenheim again.

8. Tyson Evans (@bobtehblob) said on 24th July 2011, 15:59

I can already see that this race is going to be rated quite highly, simply because Hamilton won. I know Keith encourages us not to rate on where our favoured teams/drivers finished. but it’s pretty evident already that this is exactly what’s happening and being a UK site. naturally more people will be following the UK drivers!

I personally gave the race a 6. Although it started of great, towards the end of the race it fizzled out a little for me. Also the return of the dreaded “only pitting because we have to” with Vettel/Massa.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 24th July 2011, 16:50

Honestly I would have rated it just as high, or possibly even higher if Alonso or Webber would have been able to pull a pass on Hamilton in those last 8 laps, its not about who won, but what happened on the way to get there.

• DaveW said on 25th July 2011, 2:05

I know Keith is tired of pointing out that only about 1/3 of his site visits are from the UK. So there it is. In fairness, this season, there only two kinds of races: 1. RBR walk-overs and 2. races where a Ferrari or McLaren snatch a win away from RBR with an amazing performance—which usually must include some passing, because RBR has a deeded freehold on the front row. The second kind naturally are better than the first, and the team has brought you 3 of these serves mushy peas in its canteen.

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 25th July 2011, 22:18

I’m British, and a McLaren fan, and I rated the race 6.

Wait, that means I’m biased against the Germans, doesn’t it? Or no, I’m rating it low because Alonso did well, I’m biased against him. Or, maybe it’s because I’m biased *for* Torro Rosso, and they didn’t have a great race.

Just because people disagree with you, doesn’t mean they’re doing it because of blinkered bias, while your opinions are pure and true. It’s more likely that they have a different opinion, nothing more.

9. David BR said on 24th July 2011, 15:59

As a Hamilton fan 10/10, objectively 7/10. DRS not really working meant we were back to who can really overtake. Cue Hamilton. Two stunning retakes of position against Webber (my favourite) and Alonso. Excellent drives from all three, but that’s the result you get if you put all three in near enough equal cars and equal conditions: Hamilton wins by that extra racing talent. Today he did the Senna comparison proud!

• Simon said on 24th July 2011, 16:21

Maybe that’s a potential solution to the rating objectivity issue…

Each person can rate on 2 different criteria:

1.) ‘Rate the result’ – how satisfied you were with the result (based on preferred drivers etc).

2.) ‘Rate the action’ – how good the action on track was (more objective).

The 2nd rating wouldn’t be completely objective – given that how an individual sees the action may be coloured by what their favourite drivers do, but it may give a less skewed average.

• David BR said on 24th July 2011, 16:28

Though actually it really is difficult to be objective, maybe the race was better from a neutral stance and I’m over-compensating?! Even some Hamilton-neutral (or worse) blog sites rated this a top race and one of his best.

• Simon said on 24th July 2011, 16:54

Definitely hard to be objective, since every person watching it is likely to want a particular outcome that will influence their rating (or lead them to over think it).

I just think that by asking for a result-orientated rating first, it helps (me, at least!) to move beyond it and give a more rounded view of the racing action.

• David BR said on 24th July 2011, 17:16

That’s true, I like the idea of splitting the vote options, but I’d put the second option as ‘rate the quality of the race’ rather than ‘rate the action,’ simply because it’s more specific (it could be taken to mean quantity of action).

Probably should rate the race 8/10 actually, since we saw an extremely close race between three different cars – that’s obviously what F1 needs after half a season of one team dominating!

10. John Player (@john-player) said on 24th July 2011, 16:08

Gave it a 9

11. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 24th July 2011, 16:21

Lots of 9s and 10s here. Considering this was – at best – the third best race this season, I’d say that’s a little generous. There was some good action down the field and a decent battle for the lead but no high drama or anything particularly unpredictable. 7 from me. But then I’m not a McLaren fan.

• We Want Turbos said on 24th July 2011, 16:37

Mclaren fan but have to agree with you. Some great bits of action plus a little bit of strategy work!!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 24th July 2011, 17:09

I liked it possibly more than Canada, as it did not have to make up for the 2 hour wait and we did not have DRS get too prominently in the way of the podium like it did both in Canada and (with the tyres) in China.

It might have had a bit more going for it, if Button had been in it and challenged Vettel/Massa for 5th though.

12. Dutch_Alex said on 24th July 2011, 16:42

The wrong Mclaren broke down today. Such a shame. Alonso winning two in a row would’ve made a good race so much better.

13. Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 24th July 2011, 16:46

Great race, lots of stuff going on, but especially good since RB were shown to be less than angelic, Vettel in particular. I’m a Button fan, and was disappointed to see him retire after such a rubbish start, but the scrap for the lead really entertained me. I thought Hamilton & Alonso did amazingly well. I really don’t like Alonso Ieither, but i can’t deny his brilliance today. Ferrari didn’t even need to cheat, which is a constant cloud over F1, so well don to the pony boys on that one!

14. brum55 said on 24th July 2011, 17:12

Can’t believe this got a 9? I would give it a 7 personally. Good, but not great.

Also was I the only frustrated seeing all the German drivers battling away i.e. Rosberg, Sutil, Schumi and Vettel and not the front 3 when TV screens showed the gap between them was abut 1.4s.

15. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 24th July 2011, 18:29

Was very interesting strategy game today especially between top 3 (not Vettel for once), even got 3 positions correct with other two also in top 5!

However it was a shame not to see Di Resta / Heidfeld incident or the Barrichello retirement.

My race prediction, actual result in brackets where different. Therefore some good points for me.

VET (HAM)