Rate the race: 2011 German Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the German Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 German Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (12%)
  • 8 (31%)
  • 9 (35%)
  • 10 (18%)

Total Voters: 542

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?é?® Renault/LAT

199 comments on Rate the race: 2011 German Grand Prix

1. F1 98 said on 24th July 2011, 19:20

9/10 good battles and vettel didn’t make the podium

Wish alonso won the race

2. David Johnson said on 24th July 2011, 19:37

9/10, three cars in a tense battle roughly with the same pace, nice “pure” overtakes, jesus what more do you want ? A race for the f1 purest..not for fan-boys/girls.

• lewymp4 (@lewymp4) said on 25th July 2011, 0:18

I can’t imagine anything more that could been given or asked from, what we got today from Lewis, Fernando and Mark. It doesn’t get any better than this.

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 25th July 2011, 22:26

An alternative view of that is:

3 cars on the same pace, with no likelihood of mechanical breakdown, 3 drivers who are unlikely to make a mistake, tyres which are all wearing at the same rate, and everything boils down to pitstops and strategy. What did we learn? Vettel’s not good in traffic, Ferrari aren’t great at pitstops (though they didn’t rack up another unsafe release, at least), and Hamilton is capable of overtaking Webber.

A return to the very, very bad old days of hard Bridgestones and races decided by who does the fastest in/outlap on their pitstops.

This was the first race all year where I got up and did some housework after the first third of the race. And I missed basically nothing – as with previous years, keep an ear out for the commentary and walk back into the room to watch a replay.

Compare that with Canada where, once the cars were on track, the action was edge of the seat stuff all day.

3. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 24th July 2011, 20:21

I gave it an 8.
    Really nice battles !
    My opinion about DRS: if i am not mistaken, the DRS hasn’t made passing too easy this time. It seems they all needed 50/100 meters more to make the passes stisk before the chicane. To me that was what made this race so good: the shortness of the DRS. They could close up the gap to the one in front, but not enough for a pass, and the pass had to be made the real way, after the chicane. Maybe that’s the best way to use DRS ? Was it expected to work out so?

Apart from that, disappointed for Button, whose machinery denied him a possible 4th place today again…
    And my hero Kobayashi brings home points once again after starting 18th !

4. don knowles (@don-knowles) said on 24th July 2011, 22:48

I had it down as an 8, love the FA/MW taxi ride pics.

I also like the earlier post: a 10 for the first set of laps, an 8 later.

I really don’t know why the rule is they have to use 2 different hardness tires during the race. Why does that rule make sense again? Why not just have all teams use 6 sets of primes or 6 sets of optionals for the weekend?

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 25th July 2011, 10:07

I think it was there to introduce pace differences between the cars. That creates artificial situations where overtaking is made possible.
      I hate this rule too…

5. frazbox (@frazbox) said on 25th July 2011, 0:37

i woke up just in time to see the warm up lap, and i surely enjoyed this race from start 2 finish. from lewis hit P2 in quali, i knew he would get mark in the first corner. didnt know the mclaren would have so much pace!!!
    10/10

6. SkinBintin (@skinbintin) said on 25th July 2011, 1:50

I gave it a 9. I thought it was a great, tense, and exciting race. And to top it all off, a McLaren win. Although I promise that didn’t bump my vote up. Well, maybe one point!

Would probably have given it a 10 had Vettel not being so dull to watch (how come Hamilton and Alonso make passing look so effortless, yet Vettel seems unable to do anything but follow the leader?) and Button hadn’t DNF’d.

All in all though, a good race. Vettel’s fourth adds a tiny bit of excitement to the driver’s championship too!

7. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 25th July 2011, 2:03

The first 8 laps were very boring I thought that we might end up that way.But later some good fight by Massa, Webber & Hamilton,especially his repass on Webber was great.Another thing is that I think we have seen some good move into this race in the non-DRS zone,today it was tough to overtake in the DRS zone.

8. Gill said on 25th July 2011, 6:35

One thing which I dont like about Ferrari is that they are not risk takers. In this season or the last one, I havent seen them bringing Alonso for the tyre change when he is stuck behind a slow driver even once. Like in this race, Webber came out ahead of Ham/Alo because he changed his tyres 1/2 lap/s before the 2. Mcalren did the same to Hamilton in Silverstone and he came ahead of Mark.

There is no innovation in Ferrari, they just react and not act. If they want to win championships in this ERA where we have great and fast drivers distributed over several good teams, they need to take risks.

9. McLarenFanJamm (@mclarenfanjamm) said on 25th July 2011, 8:58

Would be nice to hear from the people who rated the races 2/3/4 to hear their justifications for it. Assume these will be Vettel/Button fans who cannot view things objectively (i.e. every race is rubbish unless their favourite driver wins).

Personally, I gave it a 9 yesterday, it had a good mix of excitement at the beginning and was tense 10/15 laps from the end. We saw some good over-takes, some mistakes and some fails and the top 3 drivers all in close proximity for the majority of the race.

It just remains to be seen if Ferrari and McLaren can keep the pace for the rest of the season.

10. Lord Ha Ha said on 25th July 2011, 10:24

Webber ran his engine setting 7 or whatever too much when he was leading. he didn’t have the race pace without it.

11. antifia said on 25th July 2011, 10:55

Another one in the 2008-2011 top 10, for certain – but just. Had Alonso managed to close the door and we would be seing a normal distribution in the ratings, I guess.

12. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 25th July 2011, 10:57

Overrated seriously, the Leadership battle was good, but that was exciting as it gets. Poor broadcast missed most of the other challenges.

13. FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 25th July 2011, 15:00

5 for the 1st part, 1 for the second part and a bonus point for Alonso riding back on a Red Bull. So 7 overall

14. robert said on 25th July 2011, 18:05

this race was almost similar to MONACO, in terms that if monaco wasnt red flagged, it would have been as thrilling to watch as this, with the top three teams battling it out

15. PJA (@pja) said on 25th July 2011, 19:14

I gave the race and 8.

Before the race everyone seemed to think there would defiantly be some rain, and ordinarily I would have been disappointed there wasn’t any, however I didn’t miss it one bit.

A great three way fight for the lead and I wasn’t certain what the podium order would be until the final round of pit stops.