Vote for your German GP driver of the weekend

Debates and Polls

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Nurburgring, 2011

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Nurburgring, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the German Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the German Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the German Grand Prix weekend:

Lewis Hamilton – Got far more out of the car than his team mate, qualified very strongly and was tenacious in attack in the race.

Fernando Alonso – Minor mistakes take little away from another top-notch drive.

Mark Webber – Slow second pit stop cost him but he was quicker than Vettel all weekend.

Adrian Sutil – Very strong in qualifying and beat the Mercedes in the race. Easily his best drive so far this year.

Kamui Kobayashi – Solid comeback drive into the points having missed the cut for Q2 in qualifying.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the German Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (0%)
  • Mark Webber (3%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (77%)
  • Jenson Button (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (6%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Michael Schumacher (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)

British Grand Prix result

Fernando Alonso was voted the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend:

1. Fernando Alonso – 53.0%
2. Lewis Hamilton – 22.3%
3. Mark Webber – 8.0%

Rate the Race: German Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

2011 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 German Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

141 comments on Vote for your German GP driver of the weekend

1 2 3 5
  1. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 25th July 2011, 17:56

Pretty obvious choice. Others had good weekends but this was a Grade A performance from Hamilton.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 25th July 2011, 20:06

Got to be Hamilton. Shout out to Sutil but Hamilton was flawless.

Every time he lost the lead he pushed hard to get it back and completely outperformed his car.

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 26th July 2011, 8:46

That repass on Webber was fantastic!

• dfketr said on 26th July 2011, 15:16

hardly flawless. he stuffed up and let webber pass, before using his 10km/h speed advantage to pass webber back.
        the pass of alonso was also a little exagerated in how good it was, alonso was obvioulsy having trouble heating up the tyres for the first lap or 2 after his stop,

• tharris19 said on 26th July 2011, 17:26

Webber did not have a 10km/h speed advantage nor did he expect Hamilton to get into his slip stream and come back at him that fast. He was caught off guard and was too deep into the breaking zone at turn one to do anything about it.
          I agree that the pass on Alonso had more to do with his tires being completely cold. However, the decision to make the pass where it was made and aggressively pull it off was a thing of beauty.
          Flawless, who cares? Superb race craft on Hamilton part, yes, without a doubt.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 26th July 2011, 22:30

Hamilton was in the same situation when Webber got alongside as Hamilton just got out of the pitlane. Hamilton was able to fend of the same attack though.

• Hamilton drove flawlessly, excellent start.

I’m putting both Ferraris at second place – Alonso for being almost 100% consistent, and Massa for holding Vettel that long.

• Lee said on 26th July 2011, 9:40

It is not hard to hold Vettel. He could not pass a dead badger let alone another race driver!

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 26th July 2011, 14:32

I voted for Hamilton as well.

2. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 25th July 2011, 17:58

For me, it has to be Lewis. Don’t shout the ‘b’ word, please, because:

1. I’m Australian, not British (that’s not to say everyone who is British is b**sed – OK, I’m digging myself a hole here, I’ll stop now)

2. I’m not a Hamilton fan

3. The most important point of them all; he was the best driver in what was arguably the third quickest car.

I had to vote Hamilton. He was superb in qualifying, and missed out on pole position by what turned out to be a couple of metres. I was absolutely astounded and I believe I even found myself clapping (despite being the only one in the room) at his achievement. And then in the race he did everything right. He was the quickest man on the track for most of the race, pulled off a number of impressive overtakes and then managed his tyres well enough to allow him to make a late pit stop and spend minimal time on the slower tyres.

The moment of the weekend for me was his move on Webber down the pit-straight. Webber was obviously quicker at that point, and he had put Lewis under an enormous amount of pressure until he cracked and allowed Webber through. I, for one, thought that was it – Webber would be gone. But Lewis didn’t give up, and somehow managed to pull off one of the most exciting moves of the season when he would have been forgiven for slowing down and sulking. Brilliant driving.

Sutil was also impressive, as was Kobayashi, but the latter was kind of expected to be make it into the points, with incredible overtaking abilites and more sets of fresh tyres than everyone else (excluding the ‘new’ teams).

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th July 2011, 18:22

I must say, I hesitated of voting for Hamilton, seeing he is already ahead by a big margin.

But I am sure the Alonso fans will give their driver a few votes still, and Webber might get some as well (and he did bog down at the start).

So I am voting for Hamilton as well, because here he thoroughly deserved it with his drive and it came at the perfect moment to get the season going nicely.

If not Hamilton, I would have probably voted for Sutil. He was at home, did arguably the best job of the Germans present (save maybe Glock) and for him it comes at just the right moment to assert himself in the team and sport just like for Hamilton.

• infy (@infy) said on 25th July 2011, 18:24

Mr Defensive :D

Credit where its due. Lewis drove well and deserves to be the 2011 German GP best driver of the weekend.

• Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 25th July 2011, 18:59

definitely deserves it for the awesome pass he made on webber when webber passed him and for the awesome pass on alonso. apart from driving a strong race throughout the weekend.

• LosD (@losd) said on 25th July 2011, 19:26

Him being defensive is not really strange with commenters such as yourself, who almost always shouts “BIAS” as soon as an opinion goes against you.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 25th July 2011, 19:43

Damon, you’ve written it for me. I would have loved to have given it to Webber but it’s not like a bad start was a rare and unlucky occurrence for him, he has to do something to fix this, even if it takes spending all his free days at the dragstrip. Just because Lewis is the obvious choice does not make him the wrong choice.

• Mike said on 26th July 2011, 12:47

was arguably the third quickest car.

I’m about to vote Hamilton. But I don’t agree, I think it was the quickest car.

Red Bull has had a qualifying advantage all year, but Hamilton managed to cut this down massively. However, during the race, I really think Webber had the weakest car.

• IDR (@idr) said on 26th July 2011, 14:55

I have voted for Hamilton also. I’m not British also. I’m not a Hamilton fan also.

I think I don’t need any kind of disclaimer for this but I’ll take yours, just in case.

3. Eggry (@eggry) said on 25th July 2011, 17:59

Well, It shouldn’t be Vettel :P I voted Hamilton though I wanted to vote Alonso

4. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 25th July 2011, 18:01

Alright, hands up, who gave the one vote to Seb Vettel :)

5. Becken said on 25th July 2011, 18:01

Easy one: Lewis.

As we saw in Silverstone with Fernando, when we have cars in the same level of performance, drivers skills and sheer determination is king.

6. Ads21 (@ads21) said on 25th July 2011, 18:06

There’s no real doubt this week, it was Hamilton’s weekend. He pulled out the a dream qualifying lap putting him between the Red Bulls then drove an near flawless race. He made the most of out of the McLaren’s pace in the cold conditions and pulled off two critical passes on Alonso and Webber – who both had good weekends, but Hamilton had a great weekend.

7. mateuss (@mateuss) said on 25th July 2011, 18:06

This is equal most easiest decision this season, the other being Canada. It just happens that Macca boys always win the more exciting races(not all of them though).

And before anyone suggests a nationalistic or geographical bias on my part, I’d like to list drivers whom I am more likely to be a supporter of based on those criteria mentioned above:
    Vitaly Petrov, Heikki Kovalainen, Sebastian Vettel, Nico Rosberg, Nick Heidfeld, Michael Schumacher, Adrian Sutil, Timo Glock, Sebastien Buemi, Jerome d’Ambrosio, Vitantonio Liuzzi… I got bored.

8. Lew Numba 1 (@lew-numba-1) said on 25th July 2011, 18:08

Easiest vote ever for me, but I expect even those who don’t like Lew will be voting for him this time around. He was easily the most exciting driver to watch, plus you knew he had to be in great form to get everything out of his car, AND he won! It was an excellent race, though … the top 3 dueling together and comprised of three different teams … that’s about as good as it gets.

• mfDB (@mfdb) said on 26th July 2011, 18:19

So, how often do people just vote for drivers they like? I have yet to do that. I like to think I give an unbiased opinion of the weekend (maybe 5% to practice, 20% to Qualy, and 75% to the race) and then pick who did the best job….

• driftin said on 27th July 2011, 8:20

It’s only the second time this year that I’ve voted for my favourite driver – Lewis Hamilton.

9. MW (@) said on 25th July 2011, 18:11

Sheesh!! You’re all so biased… Just because you live on the sameland mass!!

Only messing :)

Hamilton definitely gets my vote, it’s great to see real racing and great talent shining through.

10. Todfod (@todfod) said on 25th July 2011, 18:12

People really aren’t too fond of Fernando on this site… a vote for Seb and two for Mark yet none for Fernando.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 25th July 2011, 18:17

Fernando has won this poll three times this season- more than anyone else.

• infy (@infy) said on 25th July 2011, 18:22

Yeah, but thats because he is so good that even the people who hate him, are still forced to vote for him.

I absolutely HATE lewis, yet today I voted for him.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th July 2011, 18:29

As I write this only about 50 people have voted. Are you seriously jumping to this conclusion based on such a tiny handful of votes?

By the way, no driver has won this poll this year more than Alonso has.

• tharris19 said on 25th July 2011, 19:21

Alonso and Hamilton are great sportsmen. They compete at an entirely different level than their peers.
        I only wish Kimi was still racing, then I would add him to mix.
        Wouldn’t it be nice if this is a harbinger of what we can expect for the balance of the season? Great race!!!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th July 2011, 18:57

Todfod, maybe from the comments it sometimes seems that a lot of people do not like him.

But that does not bar most of them from voting for a great drive Alonso has, like he did in Silverstone, or in Valencia, where he duly won.
      When I first looked he had no votes, nor did Vettel and Webber. But that was only because many had not even got here yet to vote.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 26th July 2011, 22:32

Right now Alonso has about twice the votes Webber has, and Vettel only got one extra vote to double his number. Sutil is doing better though.

Sutil’s result might also be because voters were more pleasantly surprised about him getting such a result than they were seeing Alonso putting the recently found speed of his Ferrari to very good use.

Especially as Hamilton basically outshone Alonso in Germany, getting a surprisingly good grid position and driving an impressive race with decisive overtaking moves and great speed.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th July 2011, 22:28

I don’t like Alonso. I voted for him in Silverstone because he was the best though.

• leotef (@leotef) said on 26th July 2011, 4:04

Do people coming here have to like him? Does that matter? Curious indeed of people having this kind of thinking approach..

• suka (@suka) said on 26th July 2011, 7:13

Let’s remind ourselves, the name of the poll is the “driver of the weekend” not the “most liked driver of the weekend”.

• suka (@suka) said on 26th July 2011, 7:16

I like Webber,Schumacher and Alonso better, but Lewis drove incredibly. Made the race interesting. Maybe the best drive of the season of all the drives so far.

• John H said on 26th July 2011, 13:30

Didn’t defend adequately against Hamilton. Went off the road letting Vettel past in the race. Qualified 4th.

Compared to Hamilton & perhaps Sutil, I’m surprised so many have actually voted for Fernando this race.

• mfDB (@mfdb) said on 26th July 2011, 18:22

but ended up 2nd. So all of that other stuff doesn’t matter really. 4th to 2nd is what matters and I’d say he was the 2nd best driver of the weekend.

11. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 25th July 2011, 18:15

I “kind of” don’t like Hamilton when he is too aggressive, but I REALLY liked his victory yesterday, being the best part when he was passed by Webber and swiftly bounced back to got his first place recovered. GREATHe also showed he can manage the gap and save fuel…. BTW, is Alonso situation permitted? I mean, is it not mandatory to go to parc ferme WITH THE CAR?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th July 2011, 18:27

No, only thing is you have to be able to scrape a least one kg of fuel from the car (that is the reason they told him to stop, so there would be a bit left)

• Ral said on 25th July 2011, 18:39

So are they going to adjust the rules a little bit like they did after Hamilton’s qualifying in Canada where he had to park it to keep from coming back in with too little fuel for the FIA to check?

• Lee said on 26th July 2011, 9:44

I thought the rules were changed after the hamilton incident in Canada. I was under the impression that drivers now had to make it back to the pits with the required amount of fuel? If not what was all the furore over hamilton stopping?

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 26th July 2011, 22:44

But that’s about qualifying, isn’t it? Anyway, Alonso’s Ferrari had enough of fuel, he stopped it to ensure that was the case.

Oh, the qualifying rule means there’s a maximum allowed time that you can take for the in-lap, I think (ie. pushing isn’t fast enough).

12. David-A (@david-a) said on 25th July 2011, 18:15

Lewis Hamilton, hands down.

13. infy (@infy) said on 25th July 2011, 18:20

Obviously Lewis. For once he made no mistakes and drove well.

2nd best would go to Alonso, who’s car struggles in the cold.

14. Tinakori Road (@tinakori-road) said on 25th July 2011, 18:25

It’s my first time admitting that Hamilton did the best job this weekend but during the race I thought Massa was doing very well passing Rosberg and keeping Vettel behind after Vettel’s brake problem was cleared up.

15. Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 25th July 2011, 18:34

Lewis.
    Great start.
    Great battle with Webber, as usual with those two.
    Was able to defend his position and then attacking taking risks when necessary in two consecutive and decisive laps in the the exact same situation but reversed. Things like that don’t happen by accident.
    He also managed doing the pulling away MW and FA in a few laps and building a comfortable gap, and there is where he actually earned this win.

He even made a mature comment in the PRF.
    I couldn’t avoid voting for him even if I would.

1 2 3 5